PDA

View Full Version : Curious about writer's strike [effects at DLR]

natzach
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
we were wondering if the writer's strike would affect any of the shows at dlr any thoughts?

cstephens
11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
The strike should have zero effect as I can't imagine that anything done at the DLR is subject to the WGA.

BarbD
11-13-2007, 04:09 AM
My friend works for Disney Studios and he said they are picketing out side hiw work window in California

cstephens
11-13-2007, 07:22 AM
My friend works for Disney Studios and he said they are picketing out side hiw work window in California

That would be because the studio is part of the producers' side that needs to come to terms eventually with the WGA. Totally different than the theme parks.

ladodgerjon
11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
The ONLY way that the DLR would be effected by the work stoppage would be if some upcoming/future show required a script, and that script was not yet written. Dependent on when the strike is resolved -- versus the expected premiere of the new show -- there could be delay in production.

A VERY unlikely scenario, but a distant possibility as Disney is a signatory with the various entertainment guilds. No scripts can be written while the strike is in process.

cstephens
11-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Is Disneyland and WDW really subject to the WGA? Of course, the Studios are a signatory, so movies and TV shows would be, but I wouldn't have thought the WGA would have jurisdiction over theme parks. You mean the narrated portions of things like the Parade of Dreams and Remember and Wishes are all written by WGA members?

tripodjw
11-15-2007, 06:27 AM
I saw Aladdin in DCA yesterday and one of the Genie's lines made reference to the writer's strike. Something alng the lines of he tells a bunch of jokes and then goes, i got nothing, there's a writer's strike.

SO it certainly isn't affecting the "current topic" jokes in that show.

june1st1997
11-15-2007, 07:16 AM
I highly doubt working for the theme park would be an actionable offense for a WGA member...

However I will offer this...

Lots of companies have divisions that are both signatory and non signatory. I have had long conversations with the guild about this situation... technically as a writer, if you get paid by a signatory during the strike... you are in violation.

But as people have stated before, I would imagine it's so unlikely that this would be the case on the theme park side. And even still you have to imagine the guild would feel it is not a violation.

I have known of a few WGA writers who have done work for the theme park. But it's really specific kinda stuff.

Then again if Rossio and Elliot are doing dialogue for some pirate thing at the park... I could see how that would tick people off. Not saying that it would...

cstephens
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
OK, but I'm still confused as to whether the WGA has jurisdiction over the theme parks. Not WGA writers who might write for theme parks, but the parks themselves. In the absence of a strike, do things written for theme parks have to be done by WGA members, subject to the rules and payment outlines of the WGA?

june1st1997
11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I have done alot of research on this, as much as I could do without actually calling the guild... As you could imagine... They are swamped right now.

It seems that no the WGA does not have jurisdiction, however if you write a movie that becomes a ride or show... there are payments the writer is entitled to. It falls under the Sequels/ Remakes section of the Short Form... A writer is entitled to this money if he is awarded Separated Rights.

So you don't have to be a WGA member to write for the resort, but the MBA does protect writers if their work is used in a theme park.

So that's what I know. I'll be speaking to the guild in the next week or so I'm sure... I'll get a definite yes or no on jurisdiction then.