PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight 2002

lisap
07-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Yes, I know it's July 31st, but the Christmas in July article got me thinking about the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland. I would really, really like to get tickets to it this year.

Does anyone know:
--Who can get tickets? How much do they cost?
--How many shows are performed?
--What line I have to stand in/place to email/fax/person to bribe to get tickets?

Is this just for the bigwig people with special connections or can us little people enjoy it too. Please share what you know :) There's a gingerbread boy in it for you.

I hope this does not fall into the category of panhandling! I would in no way swap gingerbread for tickets-- ;)

Not Afraid
07-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Ahhhhh. Already acting like a Premium AP! I'm shocked!
:eek: :D

lisap
07-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Ahhhhh. Already acting like a Premium AP! I'm shocked!
:eek: :D

I've learned from the Masters :D

Not Afraid
07-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by lisap

I've learned from the Masters :D

Ahhh, you learn well, young padawan.

So, when you find out this info, let me knw. We missed it last year.

Flubber
07-31-2002, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know:
--Who can get tickets? How much do they cost?
--How many shows are performed?
--What line I have to stand in/place to email/fax/person to bribe to get tickets?

--Anyone can get tickets (limited amount available for the general public) and they've been free to this point.
--2 shows on Saturday and 2 on Sunday
--I think tickets are picked up at guest relations on the day of show only. Line up early!

This is the way it's been done so far. I wouldn't be suprised to see a pay event made out of this. Open up that wallet and say Merry Christmas.:D

lisap
07-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks--your gingerbread boy is in the mail :D

Anyone know when they generally start posting info on this?

ksejr1
07-31-2002, 03:58 PM
What is this whole candel light thing?? :D

lisap
07-31-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by tiggergrl
What is this whole candel light thing?? :D

Here is a beautiful photo essay AVP did for last year's event. I'm totally in the mood and it's a whole five months away!

Candle light 2001 (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/xmas/candle2001a.htm)

wonderful
07-31-2002, 07:49 PM
Candlelight, up to this point, has been a two day event (Saturday and Sunday) held (most recently) at the Fantasyland Theater...
Tickets are free to Guests in the park the "day of" but they are extremely limited as about a third of the seats (and that's just my guess) are provided to members of Club 33, partners, and some organizations that don't fall under a good "category"...
DO NOT trust in just showing up to City Hall that day hoping to grab tickets for your family of 20... that's like showing up at lunch time on a pin release day and demanding a pin be available! Plan ahead...
And here's my advice for that all-too-often-missed step (planning):
First, find someone to watch the kids... Candlelight is beautiful, but not incredibly appreciated by children. This is a glorified Christmas Day church service... no Mickey, no fireworks--got it?
And speaking of "church service," I am not studdering or stammering on this point... you better be in for a reading of The Good Book and Harking the Herald Angels, cause this is not a pander to the PC-types Disney production... it's all about the baby Jesus, Mary, et al. Again, you got that?
That all said, I HIGHLY reccomend this wonderful event as it will truly get you in the Christmas spirit. The music is great and the narrator is always someone worth seeing (one year John Wayne did it, as did James Earl Jones).
Wear something warm... this is done outside, and plan on meeting new people as you will be lined up with a few folks for at least 45 minutes prior...
I'll see you there =)

lisap
07-31-2002, 08:40 PM
Wonderful...you are wonderful!!! Since you know so much about it...how about these questions:

**How early would you recommend getting to the guest service window to be assured of a ticket?
**Is it general seating? Is that the resaon for the line outside the theatre?

p.s. Kids watched by grandma--check
Warm clothes--check
Baby Jesus--check
Waiting in line--double check

two gingerbreads for you :D

No Grape Koolaid
07-31-2002, 10:36 PM

**How early would you recommend getting to the guest service window to be assured of a ticket?

p.s. Kids watched by grandma--check
Warm clothes--check
Baby Jesus--check
Waiting in line--double check

two gingerbreads for you :D

Let's just say you might be waiting a while for the sun to rise.

fredc
07-31-2002, 10:40 PM
Do not worry about tickets. For the first time in four years, I was in town for Candlelight 2001. On Saturday I went to the park in the afternoon. I went to Fantasyland theatre and asked about a standby line. "No such thing" they said but if you wait around there may be seats available. Sure enough there were a few hundred seats available for the non-standbys at the first show. Even more seats available for the second show For the first show we were greeted by Cynthia as we entered the theatre and since I was alone, I got a seat on the side near the front. That was too close so for the second show I headed for the bleachers. Don't miss it.

The tickets are mailed to Disneyland vendors and other VIP's along with admission tickets and it used to include special parade seating and food. Many of these people just use the admission and food portions of the package so there always extra seats.

SoCalDisneyLover
08-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Sounds wonderful. I assume they have a similar service for Hanukkah. :-)

Morrigoon
08-01-2002, 02:52 AM

2am is good.

Standby line works quite well though.

You'd think with all this demand, that they'd do more shows!

lisap
08-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Hmmmm...thanks for the tips, everyone!

My thing is--I want a ticket in my hot little hand so I don't stress about standby. But....2am?? Maybe the GC will have a rate special like last year at that time and I can roll out of bed and stroll arcoss the street to wait in line :D

disneymeimei
08-01-2002, 08:17 AM
I love Disneyland more than anything. However, I had the unfortunate experience of being in Disneyland last December during the Candlelight ceremony. I say unfortunate because not realizing the scope and enormous crowd that had been collecting since we left the park earlier that day to play at DCA ( which we love by the way), we went back to DL for our last do-over (Its a small world). By the time we did that and squeezed through the mass of humanity to leave the park, I was crying (not something that I do often). I was so overcome by the crowd and sheer confusion. Where did all these people come from? Why are they all standing around? What IS going on. It wasn't until I asked at the concierge back at CGH that I found out that this event is probably one of THE biggest attendence draws for Disneyland the whole year. Bottom line, prepare for more people than you have probably ever seen in your life, do not bring a stroller (strollers do not roll when there is wall to wall people), and even though it is a special/Christmas service, don't expect people to be in a same mindset (I'm talking about the rude, thinking only of themselves people that seem to thrive in such situations) and be prepared for a very long night. Enough said. I love Disneyland and go at least twice a year, but never again will I go during the Candlelight Ceremony.