PDA

View Full Version : AP Typecasting

Cooie
07-31-2002, 10:18 AM
Being an AP, I have a lot of concern about being typecasted as One Of Those APs. While I know that those APs are actually few and far between, they tend to make the most noise. My worry is that 1) I'll automatically be thought of as a pain in the butt if I flash my card for a discount, and 2) if I register a complaint, it'll be discounted.

I do the latter very rarely. In fact, more often than not I go into City Hall to give CMs commendations rather than complain about every little thing. But within the last year I had an experience that made me stop and think. It was a particularly busy day so I'm sure tempers were running high, but on two separate occasions I had a CM be very rude to me (i.e., of the "get lost" variety), and a couple other things happened that soured me on the experience. It was enough to make me to go up front and tell someone about it.

When I did, I started by telling the CM at City Hall that I was an AP and I wanted to let them know about some things I was concerned about. The CM wouldn't let me fill out a form, opting instead to write everything down on a yellow legal pad, asked me if I wanted a dessert (I declined), and sent me on my way. But now that I think about it, his tone was rather mocking as I described some of what happened to him, and I can't help but feel that it had to do with me being an AP.

So does that mean I shouldn't bother to approach anyone if I have an issue? And why do all APs get such a stigma attached to them? Maybe CMs can help explain..?

coronamouseman
07-31-2002, 10:36 AM
You should do whatever you want to do - as is usually the case with most rumors or urban myths, some of what is said is true and some isn't. I'm sure there are some CM's who notice some AP's constantly ragging on them or the park unjustifiably and are bothered by that, just as there are some CM's who would prefer a break from nitpicking APs who demand a consistent and dedicated performance from the CMs and the park attractions when either the CMs or maintenance folks would rather relax that day.

As with most other things in life, just ignore the "spam" around you and proceed in the way you feel you need to or want to (within the bounds of society and the Constitution, of course!)

Frees
07-31-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey Cooie,

Well, I've been on both sides of the fence as a CM and now as an AP. Mind you, I was a CM a few years ago, so APs may have suddenly gotten worse, but when I worked there, most were very nice, normal, even keel people. Sure, there were a few that would get ****y at the drop of a hat, but I suspect that's more of a character flaw, unrelated to their devotion to Disneyland. I'm sure that if you followed them around in their daily lives you'd find them pitching a fit at Costco just as quickly as they do in the park.

The thing is, working at the park can be a pretty stressful job and everyone has their moments where they just can't maintain their uniform smile. Unless they're just outwardly being a dink (which does happen) picking on CMs as a hobby is just cruel.

It's just another example of a few bad apples spoiling the barrel. If you treat the CMs well, they're not going to care whether or not you're an AP. At least, that's the way it used to be.

Ghoulish Delight
07-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Well, I don't know the nature of your complaint, but in my experience, unless it's absolutely necessary for the CM to know, I try not to divulge that information. Of course, if the nature of your complaint is "I showed my AP for a discount and was treated rudely," obviously you have to. But if your complaint is completely unrelated to you having and AP, keep it to yourself.

This is not to say that there's anything to be ashamed about being an APer (as I am...I'm not a CM, btw) or that showing your AP will automatically result in poor service from a CM. But, unless like I said the nature of the complaint directly involves the fact that you do have an AP, announcing that you are an AP can give the impression that you are saying "I'm an APer, therefore I know how CMs should act, and I should probably be treated with more respect." So, if I can get my complaint (or even compliment) across without mentioning the fact, I do. It's just not a relevant piece of information, so going out of your way to mention it can seem rather snooty.

Cooie
07-31-2002, 11:01 AM
See, there's the problem. I didn't mean it as snooty, I meant it more as "I come here a lot and this happens rarely" kind of a thing. Now I suspect that it did come off as snooty. But good advice, Goulish -- perhaps I should keep it to myself from now on. Shame, though... I used to feel a sense of pride in being an AP.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-31-2002, 11:37 AM
Uh, yes. I try not to call attention to it, myself. If I'm using it for a discount, I show it early, so it can be taken care of from the beginning, and if it's a situation of waiting a bit longer for a more desirable seat, and somebody coments on my willingness to wait, I'll remark that being a passholder for my entire adult life has made me more patient.

Of course, sometimes I'll call attention to the fact that I'm NOT calling attention to it! :rolleyes:

RStar
07-31-2002, 12:23 PM
I've seen the "jot it down on the yellow pad" trick a few times. I've wondered about that. I think they try to keep the complaints off the books if they can, so if you don't fill out the official report one of two things can happen with that yellow paper.

1) After you leave it gets filed in the round fileing cabnet (trash can for those of you in the dark)

2) It gets used (if a full complaint is not nessisary) as a note to the proper lead to keep an eye on the situation.

The other reason for it could be to map out the problem so the CM can see if filling out the form is nessisary, and then use it to fill out the form.

When I have gone in to make a complaint, I've never needed to tell them I'm an AP. It just never even came up. I'm polite to the CMs there (after all it's not their fault) and I don't ask for retrobution (unless nessisary according to the complaint), it cheepens the complaint (I.E.- I'm here to complain so I can get something for free {I.E.E.- I know this because I am an AP!}).

HBTiggerFan
07-31-2002, 01:34 PM
The one time I filed a complaint they never asked me to verbalize it and just handed me a form.

The one other time I went to fill one out they refused to give me a form, and I have seen them refuse to give forms to other.

The many times I have gone to file a compliment they have always given me a form to fill out.

As for typecasting, I have never experienced rude behavior because of my AP. Most rude behavior from CMs I blow off, becuse they could be having a bad day, or just delt with a real jerk. For discounts, if I am unsure I ask "do you have a discount here?" and they will tell me yes or no, and I show my AP, picture side up, so they can see what kind it is.