PDA

View Full Version : Monorail

rexfarms
06-13-2001, 08:33 PM
How do you all think the Monorails are doing? I think they need to have a track to DCA, DL Hotel. What do you think. It would be hard to do with ticketing, but it might work.

Matterhorn Fan
06-14-2001, 06:30 AM
But the monorail does go to the DL Hotel . . .

rexfarms
06-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Not since the Disneyland "Resort" opened. (DCA) Now it goes to Downtown Disney.

Mandrake Linux
06-14-2001, 04:11 PM
Nah, forget DCA. Just have it go to the hotel and back, I doubt anyone will get on/off at DCA stop unless they are trying to find a way out when the exit is crowded at the carnival.

Morrigoon
06-14-2001, 04:41 PM
I have always thought that the monorail should stop at GCH and wind over to DLP (PPH, whatever). But then, I also think they should tear down that hideous excuse for a station they have right now and build one in more of a Main St style. Something like the glass arcades of the Victorian era. (with frosted glass, to allow only some light in but not bake the tourists)

Failing that, how about a peoplemover between PPH and DLH?

Napsto
06-14-2001, 05:04 PM
i love the monorail. it is such a cool way to travel.

rexfarms
06-14-2001, 06:22 PM
I LOVE Monorails too! I have started a Yahoo club, Disney Monorail, I have 2 members, but maybe you would like to join. http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/disneymonorail
also, if you have Yahoo IM, then my screen name is rexfarms please check out my club!:) :)

dalen
06-15-2001, 03:10 PM
Next time you ride the Monorail, be sure to ask if you can sit up front with the driver.

They can allow upto 5 people (plus the driver) in the front cab of the Monorail.

The drivers are all very nice and ready to answer your questions, no matter how "stupid" the question may be.

Be kind, and be sure to ask before going up to the front cab. ;)

rexfarms
06-15-2001, 05:57 PM
I try to sit with the driver as much as possible. Some Cast Members are really nice, but I have had a few, that just wouldnt talk all that much. Also, for a while, they wouldnt let you sit up front, b/c the drivers were still getting used to the new track.

Thomas
06-15-2001, 07:00 PM
The monorail is back to running one-way, I guess due to the construction of the building for Millionaire in DCA.

The monorail should not have gone through DCA and it should have went to the different hotels around the Disneyland Resort.

To bad Disney was being cheap again when it came to the monorail.

rexfarms
06-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Hey yeah, I was kinda wondering about the Monorail one way thing. Whats all up with that? Does any body know anything about that?:confused: :confused: :confused: I wish it was back to the normal round trip way. :(

Mandrake Linux
06-15-2001, 08:40 PM
New track? Does it matter? Hmmm, I don't think they actually steer the thing. I wonder why:o

rexfarms
06-16-2001, 09:08 AM
Thats just what the CM told me. Actually, many CM told me that.

Napsto
06-16-2001, 09:19 AM
but it gives you a peak into dca, everybody's fave land.

Napsto
06-17-2001, 08:02 PM
monorail rules!

rexfarms
06-17-2001, 08:08 PM
Check out my club on Yahoo for all your Monorail lovers. http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/disneymonorail

80S ERA
06-19-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by dalen
Next time you ride the Monorail, be sure to ask if you can sit up front with the driver.

Bring back the Mark III Monorail!!! Anyone remember when you could sit up in "the bubble" located in the front of the monorail?

It will be interesting to see how the resort will be connected with the proposed expansion area on the other side of Katella. Some kind of Monorail or Peoplemover system would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath after seeing the recent penny-pinching - even if it meant a savings over the alternate method which requires the use of a large number of buses traveling back and forth. Pardon me, but didn't Walt Disney want to explore transportation methods that were an alternative to conventional auto's? Oh well...let just hope they don't intend on everyone walking that distance!:D

Lacrosse Boy
06-19-2001, 12:17 PM
The monorail at WDW should go into Tomorrowland. It always is so cool to see it come into Disneyland.

Figment1986
06-21-2001, 10:37 AM
I enjoy the WDW monorail, especially when I go on the express one to epcot. it explanes all about the monorail parts and speeds. I also enjoy going on the resort monorail not the express to the magic kingdom. even though they follow the same rought, the rtesort stops in the resort stops. I also love the contemporary resort. the monorail goes right through it and you can see the dining aria. thats the resort DL needs badly for the new piece of land they just bought.

DisneyFreak2000
07-07-2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

It will be interesting to see how the resort will be connected with the proposed expansion area on the other side of Katella. Some kind of Monorail or Peoplemover system would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath

I would like to see the three parks attached in a way too. I really enjoy the way Disneyland and DCA are joined by an esplanade rather than being far apart like in WDW. It would be great if they could manage to stretch the new park (across Katella) up towards the esplanade so the three parks could share the same main entry plaza, but I don't think that could be possible. I hope they will be connected in some way so the whole resort can be accesed on foot.

Lost Boy
07-07-2001, 10:41 PM
I hope you all realize that the reason the Monorail runs through DCA is because it used to run through the Parking Lot. Remember back then? It cost them a fortune to move the one small section of track over when they built the Indaina Jones Show Building out in the old Pooh Parking lot. It would have added too much cost to move the monorail because a new Park went in where the old Parking Lot used to be. And the new station is neither in Downtown Disney or The Hotel. It is in between and the station is themed to match the look of The Rainforest Cafe which is right next to it. Giant leaves above and carved into the floor. I think it looks neat.
The reason the monorail is running one way again is because of the Millionaire Building going up. It is very close to the track, so while they are contstructing it, the Monorail can't go thru that section for saftey and insurance reasons.
Also, they may not steer the monorail, but they have to be very aware of where each train is on the circuit. I have seen the training manual for Monorail Operators and it is amazing what they have to learn. Don't forget that while the monorail is out there between stations, the driver is responsible for the lives and safety of 120 or so people behind him/her. They have to watch the speed at certain points on the track, especially inside Disneyland. Too slow and the train will not make it up the grade, too fast and it won't stop where it is supposed to. And, for safety, the track is divided into several power "sections". Two trains cannot occupy the same "section" at the same time. It would shut down the whole thing. They are in constant communication with Monorail Central and if they screw up, the central station knows it immediately. It is a big responsiblity and only a select few become Monorail Operators. My hat is off to them for the smooth ride they give us.:D

rexfarms
07-08-2001, 07:56 PM
Do you know where I can look/read a Monorail SOP for Disneyland not WDW?

Ralph Wiggum
07-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Also during the one-way trip the drivers area is closed to public, according to a CM.

Andrew
07-08-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Do you know where I can look/read a Monorail SOP for Disneyland not WDW?

I have one, purchased on eBay a few years ago. Someday I'll add it to my Disneyland SOP page (http://project-insomnia.com/sop/), but don't count on it happening really soon.