PDA

View Full Version : august 16th help

mriverej6
07-30-2002, 09:49 PM
hey everyone, on august 16th im planning to go to disneyland with a girl that i like.

i was wondering. any ideas how to spend the day. i dont have an ap(although i really really do), if that two park deal for 59 is still going on, i am for sure doing that since she has never been there.

so what should we do?

i wanted to know like great places for dinner, times to see certian things, quiet places. stuff like that

anything you all seem fitting.

thanks

MonorailMan
07-30-2002, 09:57 PM
My Romantic Tip: Take her to the Blue Bayou, for dinner. :)

MouseWife
07-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Hold her hand.

Ride the rides in Fantasy Land. {Cozy little two seaters ;) }

Sit close on Small World.

Stroll through the shops on Main Street {you'll see what she likes}.

See the fireworks.

At DCA, ah, I don't know. Not very familiar with that park.

Make sure she wears sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat{?}. This will show you care. And, make sure you guys drink water. {Oh, you wear sunscreen, too!! She will see you care about yourself.}

The Blue Bayou is a wonderful idea. You will need reservations early on in the day.

mriverej6
07-30-2002, 10:12 PM
those were quick responses.

question...how do i go about getting reservations for blue bayou? is there a phone number? website? secret smoke signal i have to make on tom sawyer island? i never got to eat there. might as well try
not to sound like a cheapskate what is the price range for that resturant

MouseWife
07-30-2002, 10:24 PM
I have never been there to dine. :(

But, I do know that right outside of the exit of the Pirates that
{at least in the morning, that's when I've been there} the hostess is out there taking reservations. Very important to do this first thing in the morning.

There is a dining number, someone else will probably give that, as well as the price.

Look a little more closely on this site, look for Disney dining. Maybe a thread.

I can't remember if the Disneyland site has this one listed as well as prices.

Of course, lunch is less expensive than dinner.

If you find it out of your league, there are a lot of places you can just pick up a bite. She won't be any the wiser.

Sorry for the vagueness but I am vague. :)

Uncle Dick
07-30-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mriverej6
those were quick responses.

question...how do i go about getting reservations for blue bayou? is there a phone number?
Yes. (714) 781-DINE.

tredla
07-30-2002, 11:51 PM
I have personaly never eaten at the Blue Bayou but have plans to on my trip in late augest. Anyway back to you. Prices at the Blue Bayou very but lunch is usualy a few bucks cheeper then dinner. you can find more info at the following link

www.mouseinfo.com/disneylandresort/disneyland/neworleans/dining/bbayou.php

I found the information there helpful in my planning.

Also on your date you may want to reserve preferd seating for fantasmick it's a little spendy but first impressions are everything. definitualy stay for the amazing nightlife around mainstreet and the castle the twinkle lights in the trees and the piano music on the corner add to romance if thats what your going for.
Don't overlook the little places like the golden horseshoe a little laughing goes a long way. Good luck and best wishes.:)

BELLEH5
07-31-2002, 12:47 AM
August 16th is my b-day:) Yup, take her to the Blue Bayou for dinner. Stroll 19th century America. Don't plan anything just go with flow.

Uncle Dick
07-31-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by mriverej6
i was wondering. any ideas how to spend the day. i dont have an ap(although i really really do), if that two park deal for 59 is still going on, i am for sure doing that since she has never been there.

so what should we do?

i wanted to know like great places for dinner, times to see certian things, quiet places. stuff like that
The Wine Country Trattoria in DCA is another nice place for dinner, but I wouldn't take it over the Blue Bayou. For a nice mid-day rest, you could chill at the Grand Californian. The lobby contains plenty of comfy chairs, although if you desire a bit more privacy, you could always climb the stairs to the extended lobby area and listen to the piano player in a slightly less public area.

In Disneyland, you can usually snag a quiet moment on Tom Sawyer Island. I like to sit on the northwest side of the island and watch the river traffic float by. The north side of the Hungry Bear Restaurant eating area (top or bottom) is usually a pretty quiet place. Fantasia Gardens (located on the site of the old Motor Boat Cruise dock) is rather nice, but the incessant ticking of the small world clock does begin to get to you after a while. As far as attractions are concerned, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Matterhorn are a must, especially late at night. The Disneyland Railroad is also pretty nice, especially if you can get the caboose all to yourselves.

If you have time, you might want to check out the waterfalls at the Disneyland Hotel. At night, they are all lit up and look wonderful (although as dusk approaches, security closes the gates that allow you to walk behind the falls). While at the hotel, you can check out the Fantasy Waters show which is a bit on the cheesy side, but may interest the woman.

Just some ideas. Let me know how they work out so that perhaps, someday, I, too, may use similar techniques to woo an unsuspecting female. ;)

bluepearl
07-31-2002, 03:35 AM
Aw, how sweet! ;) I wouldn't mind going to the park with somebody, but he never calls me. And we work at the same place (well, not exactly, but hey, we're all resort CMs)!

Anyway, I think Haunted Mansion must be one of the essential stops in Disneyland. If you go to DCA, I would recommend hanging around the bridge to Paradise Pier in the evening. Before they built the stage for the Rockin' the Bay series, it was absolutely beautiful to just sit in the ampitheater and stare at Paradise Pier. You could win her a plush toy on the Boardwalk, too.

mriverej6
07-31-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by tredla

Also on your date you may want to reserve preferd seating for fantasmick it's a little spendy but first impressions are everything. definitualy stay for the amazing nightlife around mainstreet and the castle the twinkle lights in the trees and the piano music on the corner add to romance if thats what your going for.

i have never even known about that prefered seating for fantasmic? how much does that go for? what comes with that price besides a seat

cyberRoo
07-31-2002, 12:55 PM
personally, I vote for the Blue Bayou for lunch. It's both less expensive, and more of an experience (since it's nighttime inside, but full daylight outdoors). A late lunch will probably simplify all of eating, as well.

Fantasmic balcony seating is on the balcony at the Gallery. It has a prime view of Fantasmic, and includes a dessert buffet for about $45. For a first date, I would think it might be too intense, especially if she's never been to DL. (besides, that way you'll have something special to come back for if things work out) You can make reservations through the same number someone just posted.

Other recommendations:
Gotta love the canoes - so random it's very fun. Matterhorn - very cuddly. Push and shove your way to a prime spot to watch the fireworks in front of the castle. And be sure to do at least one or two Fantasyland rides.

In DCA, Soarin' is just fun, Blast is a good thing to do, especially if she's getting tired of all things Disney, but keep in mind that you'll have plenty to do in just DL if she's never been.

(and the best Disney park gift I ever received was a charm bracelet.)

mriverej6
07-31-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by cyberRoo
(and the best Disney park gift I ever received was a charm bracelet.)

do you or anyone else know if they sell those rice necklaces inside the parks on in downtown disney. they are the necklaces where they write a name on the grain of rice. i know universal studios had one inside the theme park last summer. they dont now, maybe DLR may have it possibly.

also, she has been to DL, although, she never has been to CA, lucky her i guess. but i have been to both parks. i need to buy an ap.

blue bayou for lunch seems like a good plan....

keep it coming

SoCalDisneyLover
07-31-2002, 06:33 PM
I too was going to suggest Lunch at Blue Bayou instead of dinner. The atmosphere is where it's at, and that is constant day or night. Obviously the selection is a little higher quality at dinner, but the prices are even more intense. With the money you save, you could almost get the Fantasmic Balcony. Check out the menu section of this site for more information on what they have at BB

Must do's at Cal Adventure: Soarin' Over California, Grizzly River Run(Only During Day...and use Fast Pass if possible), Muppet 3-D, Blast!, Tough To Be A Bug, CA Screamin'(If she's into that), and perhaps Mullholland Madness.

Have fun and Good Luck!

MouseWife
07-31-2002, 07:11 PM
Hmm. All I can say is, be attentive.

If she mentions a ride, don't pooh pooh it.
Don't complain about long lines. {do use fast passes} Or the heat. Or knuckleheads {I mean, unless of course it is so obvious.....}. Oh, and if she mentions a ride that you would not normally ride {unless you are freaked out totally by it}, ride it.

If you bring a back pack, bring gum, breath mints ;) , Tylenol, and water. If you don't, and she mentions being thirsty, offer her water or a soda.

A nice cup of coffee {if she likes it} is nice to drink and people watch. Or later an ice cream. Or, much later, a hot cocoa.

I think everything else will just fall into place. It isn't all about the extras that you do but the fact of you two being together and seeing how things click. I mean, we've gone flush and we've gone with just a few extra dollars. Enjoyed every time.

If they don't have the rice, how about a pair of 'ears' with your names on it?

Have a lot of fun.

This is one lucky girl to have you put so much into planning your day.

:)

PXSgeek
07-31-2002, 07:46 PM
if your gonna get a park hopper pass defenetley go get tickets for BLAST at a time of your shows (theres usually a guy handing them out as you enter the park or at the entrance to Hollywood Backlot, go get fastpasses for SOARIN then go ride the Grizzly Rapids,during about the first 2 hours in DCA there are VERY short lines for everything(exept SOARIN, it opens before any of the "lands" do). About 3 or so head over to DL and use my "wait and see" technique." do this by first checking the wait times for all the rides at guest relations infront of the entrance to Adventureland and ride them from longest line to shortest. Get a fast pass for rides with longer lines.
Heres a tip I use: Get a fastpass for Indiana Jones, while you wait go see Pirates, H. Mansion, Thunder Mountain(if its a short line or you want to sacrifice Pirates and the Mansion for it).
For an INCREDEBLY magical experience right after the last parade at DL for the day IMMEDIATELY find an empty bench at the hub where the "Partners" statue is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAR VIEW OF THE CASTLE/THE SKY ABOVE AND MATTERHORN MT!!when you hear the 30 min announcement before the fireworks ask her to stay there and bring her a coffe/cappuchino/hot chocolate from the coffee stand between the castle and entrance to Frontierland. They sell some good cookies and muffins to, its a great snack for a fireworks show.
WARNING:after the fireworks there will be !TONS! of people rushing out of the park. Go in thru Frontierland and find a good spot to see Fantastmic! at 10:30. I reccomend sitting on the floor directly infront of the river. Make sure to stand your ground and keep her warm. If you want bring a towel or blanket if you plan to sit on the ground.
after fantasmic leave DL and go down a stroll thru Downtown Disney, maybe buy her something from one of the stores or go dancing in "Arriba y Arriba". thats all that i have personally tried
it worked for me so it might work for you.
Heres some final tips:
1. Sit down and rest in a garden area at least twice
2.try on the funny hats
3.maybe give her the mad and look for something she might want to see/ride THEN PRETEND YOU LIKE IT ex:Small World
4. Keep her hydrated,and buy random snacks around the park.
What you do outside the gates of the Disneyland resort is entirely in your hands!
Take care, see ya later -Dr Love

wonderful
07-31-2002, 08:14 PM
You know, in all honesty, I have to say that the best time to be had with someone you are "interested in" at Disneyland or DCA is to simply get started up early (so you can hit the rides without FastPass... head to Fantasyland right off... and NEVER return), do a breakfast/lunch in the early afternoon and make it simple... Blue Bayou is nice, but your REAL backdrop is the Park itself... even a burger is better when it's "a burger IN Disneyland"....
Stay all day... hugging during the fireworks and talking whilst you wait to see Fantasmic! are experiences you won't want to miss out on...
So here's an easy itinerary for you (and, yes, I do this for a living):
Call 714-781-4400 and reserve either Balcony or Premium viewing for the day you plan on coming... the steep price is worth not turning a great day into a nightmare... Fantasmic! crowds have a way of doing that. Trust me, it's worth the price.
0800-1000 You should arrive somewhere in this time range... but don't stress if you arrive at 11am, you'll still do just fine... Grab a Fast Pass to another DL attraction before you follow the next step...
1100-1400 (or 2pm) EAT SOMETHING! It is important to remember that food will keep your energy levels up. What I usually do with my Guests is keep them in Disneyland until they are hungry, then it's off to DCA where the very first thing we do is grab a Fast Pass for Soarin' and then grab something to eat...
1400-1700 Enjoy DCA and maybe grab an Ice Cream and watch the Eureka parade...Be sure to catch Blast...
After 1700... play it by ear until your Fantasmic reservation and...
Have a good time=)

mriverej6
08-01-2002, 07:47 PM
well. its seems more probable that my friend and myself will be having lunch at blue bayou. i was wondering, i dont know if this has ever been asked; but is there a minimal dress code to eat there? such as no shorts, no hats..etc? just curious, just incase.

also..any other ideas for early morning, and for dealing with dca?

tredla
08-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Formal dress is not a reqirment for blue bayou although i would suggest thant you don't where work clothes unless you are an inshurance sales men or something like that. as for in the morning I would think that would be a good time to hit the attractions that will have long lines in the afternoon however sence this is a romantic expedition you may just want to relax your way through the day altogether and play things by ear. DCA is something i recomend you save for another trip there my be mixed vews about DCA but one thing most of us do agree on is that Disneyland offers way more then DCA and the time you will spend getting in and out of the park could be better spent in disneyland but thats my opinion. DCA has a couple of good attractions but your not going to miss much if you skip it however if you feel it is a reqirment for your trip I will list a couple of things going on the day you'll be there. The Four Tops Will be Performing at the rocking the bay on the 16th They will hit the stage at 5:45 and 7:45 pm If you don't know who they are then skip it. Also soring over california is said to be the best attraction in the park, grizzly river run prommises to get you wet so if you don't want her to see you wet then i suggest you skip it as well however if you would like to see her wet then by all means go for it. Muppet vision 3D promises to be the best theater show in DCA and a nice air cooled biulding to rest in. the one advantage DCA has over disneyland is that in disney thempark terms it's empty. crowds are small and lines move fast. Other things to mention if you do decide to book a reservation for the balcony seating for fantsmick do it as soon as you arive or you will be outa luck they sell out the first hour or two the park is open in the summer on average.
fantasmick prommises to be the best disney show on the property and to miss it would be like giving a gril a ring without a dimmond on it. There are lots of things to do and places to see but if you want my best advice it's don't stress the day by having a secdual just be casual learn about her and have fun!!
I wish you the best of luck and a good time :D

Uncle Dick
08-01-2002, 11:25 PM
As I was walking through DCA this evening, just before closing, I realized that the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is somewhat romantic at night, after the kiddies have left. Soft music, animal sounds and a beautiful setting make this a great place to rest for 15 minutes or so.