PDA

View Full Version : Change DCA to California DisneySea!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

tombraider
07-30-2002, 02:38 PM
After looking at the reviews of the rides at Tokyo DisneySea, and the poor(up to the point where we need a new park) reviews of California Adventure, I think we should tear down DCA and put up a California DisneySea park in place. So, what's your opinion? Should we have a California DisneySea park, or should we have a Disney's America park?:confused:

Frees
07-30-2002, 02:57 PM
I like it.

It'd be a great idea if Oriental Land Co. could be commisioned to build it and not the car full of clowns that created DCA.

Still not too sure about the whole 'Disney's America' concept. It just doesn't come off as fantastical enough to theme a park around, but who knows.

Then again, almost anything seems like it would be an improvement on what's currently occupying that space right now...

I shouldn't say that, actually. Pressler's likely to tear it down and put up a mall...

SimpTwister
07-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Of those two options, America makes much more sense, because GRR, Hollywood, CF (Victory Field) and maybe more could be integrated into the new park. To build a DisneySea, the whole place would have to be leveled.

But practicallity aside, I'd rather have DisneySea!! Never happen though...

(See 'DCA: Ship it all to Coney Island' thread for SimpTwister's realistic DLR solution)

Frees
07-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SimpTwister
To build a DisneySea, the whole place would have to be leveled.

Exactly.

Disney Nick
07-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Frees
and not the car full of clowns that created DCA.
I'm sorry but I was cracking up after reading this, and I am not particularly against DCA either...

innerSpaceman
07-30-2002, 04:07 PM
DisneySea in Anaheim would be great, except for one thing: No Sea! A big part of what makes DisneySea work is its location on Tokyo Bay. They use the actual sea to great effect, making it seem as if the artificial waterways in the park actually link up to the real ocean. It's a cool effect that could not be duplicated in Anaheim and I don't think the park could work without it.

Long Beach, on the other hand . . .

Gemini Cricket
07-30-2002, 04:27 PM
It'd be a great idea if Oriental Land Co. could be commisioned to build it and not the car full of clowns that created DCA.
LOL!:D That was too funny. I'm in tears.

I think it's a great idea, but I don't think it is likely. It would cost them too much $$$ to turn DCA to something like TDS. I hope they're talking about doing something though...
:)

Disneyfreak
07-30-2002, 08:15 PM
YEAH All they have to do is change the name to disney America. It is a more practicle idea. They dont have to rip anything down. All they have to do is create rides throughout the world. What they have now should be themed different. What they got now could be the california section. They could make different sections as they go on. They could have a new york and have new york music playing there its just that simple. IT WOULD NOT COST THEM MUCH TO JUST CHANGE THE NAME AND RETHEME A BIT.

Iceman
07-31-2002, 07:18 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there were many Imagineering "clowns" involved in the design and construction of BOTH parks.

Frees
08-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Iceman

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there were many Imagineering "clowns" involved in the design and construction of BOTH parks.

Did I say Imagineers? What do you have against Imagineers?

The problem is, the Imagineering clowns actually know what they're doing, the DCA clowns do not.

WDI's work stands out like a sore thumb in DCA when you look at things like the Animation Pavilion and then walk through Paradise Pier.

See, if WDI had been allowed to build the whole park, this little DCA mess might never have happened.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-01-2002, 11:45 AM
So, what's your opinion? Should we have a California DisneySea park, or should we have a Disney's America park?

No.

Frees
08-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl

No.

Parking lot?

hbquikcomjamesl
08-01-2002, 12:44 PM
You seem to have trouble getting the concept.

TDS is the ONLY theme park Disney has EVER done, other than SOME that were either copies or near-copies of their previous efforts, that DIDN'T have a troubled first few years. DL had "Black Sunday" and "The Mud-Bank Ride." For the first few years, Disney-MGM was, like DCA, little more than a half-day's worth. So was AK, at least in November of 2000. Even though DLP was a near-copy of DL, TDL, and WDW-MK, it still had a terrible first few years, and according to everything I've read about it, the Paris studio park is probably in for the same. EPCOT probably came the closest to TDS's opening, and even it didn't manage to equal it.

And about so many of DCA's attractions being "exhibits"? Go to EPCOT sometime. It's loaded with exhibits, particularly in World Showcase, some of them as nicely put together as Boudin, and some as Godawful as Mission. Better yet, look at the Tomorrowland pages on Yesterland. The early Tomorrowland was loaded with exhibits; if anything, it was probably shorter on rides than the present TL.

DCA simply needs to grow into itself, and into its presently-unrealized potential.

Frees
08-01-2002, 01:57 PM
Comparisons to WDW aside, I believe the spirit of what tombraider meant for this thread to be was that Tokyo DisneySea (which was developed by Oriental Land Co.) looks incredible and, let's be honest, DCA does not.

Considering this was done in Disneyland's birthplace, in their home court, so to speak, people are wondering why the company didn't put their best effort into building DCA.

Iceman
08-01-2002, 07:17 PM
I think frees doesn't understand that WDI designed and built both DCA and TDS. That's why I bristled at the comment about the "clowns" who built DCA.

Cooie
08-01-2002, 09:22 PM
It was Oriental Land Co. that is responsible for TDS, not WDI.

Frees
08-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
I think frees doesn't understand that WDI designed and built both DCA and TDS.

Iceman, you may want to go through some of Al's older articles on this site and read about the history and evolution of DCA.

Considering WDI's truncated involvement in it's creation and the fact that you admire the division as you do, you probably won't like what you read.

Kevin Yee
08-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
You seem to have trouble getting the concept.

TDS is the ONLY theme park Disney has EVER done, other than SOME that were either copies or near-copies of their previous efforts, that DIDN'T have a troubled first few years. DL had "Black Sunday" and "The Mud-Bank Ride." For the first few years, Disney-MGM was, like DCA, little more than a half-day's worth. So was AK, at least in November of 2000. Even though DLP was a near-copy of DL, TDL, and WDW-MK, it still had a terrible first few years

Hold on a sec. DLP is not a copy of DL. That's a bit like saying that your P-4 Dell is a copy of the WWII vintage room-sized computer. It's a refinement and improvement in billions of tiny ways, and had to be redesigned, rethought, and re-engineered in every respect.

DLP is a smashing theme park. Arguably more themed than DL itself, and I would argue even more than TDS, though I haven't seen TDS in person yet.

I'll agree that other parks before and since opened with too little to do, though.

merlinjones
08-05-2002, 04:42 PM
>>TDS is the ONLY theme park Disney has EVER done, other than SOME that were either copies or near-copies of their previous efforts, that DIDN'T have a troubled first few years. DL had "Black Sunday" and "The Mud-Bank Ride." <<

Revisionist history. How does "Black Sunday" equate to a few years? Disneyland was a huge success with the public from the beginning, though they had to adjust ticket prices and expand attraction content - - it's nothing like the two year Elimidate that DCA has experienced.

tombraider
08-06-2002, 07:57 AM
DLP is a smashing park.
He's got a point. Before TDS, the only way we could have basic coaster thrills was to go to DLP, which has Indiana Jones and Space Mountain, whereas, here in America, the only coaster thrill in Disney is either the(decent) California Screamin', or the better Rock n' Rollercoaster. Although I think Disney stole Paramount's idea for a launching coaster(refer back to Flight of Fear and you'll know what I'm talking about).

Frees
08-06-2002, 12:44 PM
DLP is a smashing park.

Not to mention the fact that DLP's initial problems were due to not understanding their target audience, not that they'd built a cheap and poorly themed park.

"Do you know the way to San Jose? La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la..."

zapppop
08-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by tombraider
After looking at the reviews of the rides at Tokyo DisneySea, and the poor(up to the point where we need a new park) reviews of California Adventure, I think we should tear down DCA and put up a California DisneySea park in place. So, what's your opinion? Should we have a California DisneySea park, or should we have a Disney's America park?:confused:
California DisneySea park would be cool !
They could replace Paradise Pier with Paradise Pier !.......wait a minute...

tombraider
08-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Disneyland was a huge sucess with the pubic from the beginning. Except for the fact that a couple of years after the Matterhorn Bobsleds were introduced, some people were starting to get tired of it. And that's when all this "return of the wooden coaster" bit came back.
Anyway, back to DCA. Instead of trying to come up with a Disney's America park or tearing down DCA and putting up a Disney Sea park, what the "car full of clowns" should do is combine DCA, America, and Disney Sea to create some sort of mega park.

Frees
08-14-2002, 11:51 AM
You want a can opener for that old can of worms? ;)

I was just re-acquainting myself with the Disney's America debacle... ah, what a mess...

hefferdude
08-14-2002, 11:56 AM
" ..DisneySea in Anaheim would be great, except for one thing: No Sea! A big part of what makes DisneySea work is its location on Tokyo Bay. ...... It's a cool effect that could not be duplicated in Anaheim and I don't think the park could work without it.

Long Beach, on the other hand . . ."

1. Dig out 4 blocks from the SE corner of Harbor and Katella
2. Shut down the 22 and turn it into a waterway
( another ' LA river ' :p )
3. Fill it with water from Long Beach harbor.
Presto. Disney Harbor!!!!:D Kidding. kidding.

Then again, anyone heard of the Erie Canal?