PDA

View Full Version : Strange Loading on Haunted Mansion Yesterday

Genris
11-06-2007, 06:35 AM
My kids and I went to ride the HMH yesterday in the early afternoon. Stand by time was 5 minutes. We entered the first room when it was pretty full, but the CMs kept telling us to squeeze in. They let more and more and more people in, telling us to touch the walls, and leave no space between us and the next guest. One CM kept yelling that if you can still get air, there's not enough people in the room. I protested, as did a few others with young kids, and they finally opened the second room and let us file in. My DD was crying at that point.

I would guess there were at least twice the normal number of people in that room, and it took FOREVER to get on the doom buggies once we went down to load. We also spent a lot of time in that first room. What would be the reason for that? It was uncomfortable for me, and downright frightening for my kids.

rokketride
11-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I've experienced that too. I dont understand why they would crank so many people through the elevator rooms in such a hurry that the hallway is packed full. It makes for bad show and is potentially dangerous.

I'd rather stand in line outside for an extra 5 minutes and be able to walk to the doombuggies at my leisure.

ralfrick
11-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Waiting a bit in the hall before the doombuggies isn't nearly the concern to me as is the fact that elevators do have weight limits, and this would seem to be rather dangerous.

Cheers.

rokketride
11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Absolutely, I'm with you on that one.

But I'm not talking about waiting a bit for the buggies, I'm talking wall to wall people completely filling the hallways all the way back to the point where you cant even exit the elevator.

Bytebear
11-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Maybe they were doing a stress test on the elevators, and you happened to be the guinea pigs. It was probably done on a slow day, so that if the elevator did break, they could still run on only one elevator. Sorry!

disneyperson
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I feel sorry for the CMs during the HMH but if I heard one of them tell guests to touch the walls and "if you still have air there's not enough people in the room." I would report it. I don't believe for a second that either one would be considered safe or acceptable by management.

It is especially unacceptable if the stand by line was only five minutes. It's not even as if they had crowds waiting to get in. Very odd.

Bytebear
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
It would not be related to throughput because capacity is set by the Doombuggies and not the elevator.

codewoman
11-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Sounds like some bored CMs to me.

bloodnswash
11-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Yeah, this has happened to us on several occasions, too. I hate it when the CMs do that. And I'd really love to know why they do it. Maybe it's for their own entertainment?

In the same token, it makes me crazy when the HM CMs hold the elevator for 10 minutes when Fantasmic is going on. What the heck?? If people aren't coming, well, they aren't coming. If there is no line then what's the hold up? Why do we need to wait this long? This has also happened to us on several occasions. Usually when this happens there is a group of CM standing around chit chatting.

olegc
11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
could it be they don't want so many people in the outside queue? to make it look more open than it really is?

Malcon10t
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
My best guess, and it is only a guess, is that they were running only 1 elevator and were trying to make the most of it.

adriennek
11-08-2007, 12:10 AM
FWIW, the stretching rooms aren't elevators. They're lifts. When they go down, they can really pack 'em in.

The weight limits are a bigger concern going back up again. When they're going up, the weight limit is much smaller - it's only about 12 people total, I believe.

Adrienne

Koukla
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Our elevator in the early afternoon yesterday wasn't as packed as the OP's apparently was, but we did experience several stops throughout the ride. I did notice a fairly large group of disabled people and their assistants who appeared to be traveling together. Based on the disabilities I observed, the ride would need to be shut down for a while in order to transfer them from their wheelchairs to the doombuggies. I enjoyed being stopped in the doombuggies--nap time!:D

Genris
11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Well shoot. I guess I should have reported it. I always want to give the CMs the benefit of the doubt, because after reading here for the past few years I realize a lot of things happen for good reason, that seem like random anoyances. But it doesn't sound like there's any reasonable explanation for this. I guess the fact that they were only running one elevator might mean they would want to crowd more people in, but as one poster noted, when it's that crowded, you can't exit the elevator for a long time. Seems like taking fewer people more often would move the same number of people as holding that room at the top and the bottom for a much longer time.

DizneyMommy
11-09-2007, 06:27 AM
I think there might be confusion, some people here are talking about the stretching room and some the first little holding room? We were there last night and I think the same thing sort of happened. There was no stand-by line, and the CM was filling up the first room ( NOT the stretching room, but just the holding room) for a while and packed it in pretty tight before the lift doors opened. Once we moved into the stretching room, the room was not nearly as packed. They cannot pack this one to the walls because they ask you to step away from the walls as leaning on the door when it opens would be a safety issue. Clearly more people fit on the lift than do in the first little holding room, so I can only guess that the CM has a counter and his goal is to fit one lift full of people in that first little room, then stop the line and open the doors to let those people into the lift knowing that will be the right number?

That being said, I would still be ticked off if a CM said what the OP's said. Ours simply asked us to move all the way to the front a few times.

Malcon10t
11-09-2007, 06:26 PM
FWIW, the stretching rooms aren't elevators. They're lifts. When they go down, they can really pack 'em in.

The weight limits are a bigger concern going back up again. When they're going up, the weight limit is much smaller - it's only about 12 people total, I believe.

Adrienne
Most we have had is 9 and a dog....

Malcon10t
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Our elevator in the early afternoon yesterday wasn't as packed as the OP's apparently was, but we did experience several stops throughout the ride. I did notice a fairly large group of disabled people and their assistants who appeared to be traveling together. Based on the disabilities I observed, the ride would need to be shut down for a while in order to transfer them from their wheelchairs to the doombuggies. I enjoyed being stopped in the doombuggies--nap time!:D
Generally, they only stop once for the disabled. They usually stop at buggy 5 (there are 131 buggies...) and load 4-6 buggies, then continue on.

Occasionally, someone who should have used the HA line will walk thru and then try to use the regular buggies and they have to stop to help them load.