PDA

View Full Version : When an "Adventure" begins...

Pages : [1] 2

wonderful
06-13-2001, 01:22 PM
I want to say that I do sympathize with the many, many folks who find fault in DCA... and, when it comes to things like Superstar Limo, I agree wholeheartedly!
But, I want to take a moment to remind folks about some of their concerns being a little, well, "off"...
First, let's talk price. DCA is not priced to be comparable to Disneyland... it is comparable to the going rate at all other SoCal venues such as Universal Studios, etc. DCA has much to offer when compared to the "other" venues and when thought of as a compliment to Disneyland... DCA even has a great deal of its own kind of magic... I'll get to that...
Second, the park hopper (3 or 4 day passes) are a GREAT deal right now and, if the price does bother you, I would certainly take advantage of these as they offer twice the resort experience with no extra fee (um... yet).
Back to DCA's magic... we are spoiled as Californians. We want EVERYTHING to be Disneyland (and if you don't believe me, walk into City Hall any day of the week and see how many people tell us ...er, "them"... those exact words). That is not EVER going to happen, so get over it! Disneyland's magic is what makes it Disneyland... you can always feel the difference in the work the had the artist's personal touch (in this case, Walt and the original imagineers). But where would we be if we said everything written after Charles Dickens or Victor Hugo is crap, every work after Michelangelo is not worth our spit?
I guarantee the best way NOT to enjoy DCA is to close your mind...
Okay, I am getting a bit wordy here, so I'll round it off... before screamin' "Electrical Parade belongs at Disneyland!" why not see what it looks like going by Paradise Pier? Before saying "There's nothing for kids!" why not see how much fun youngsters have in the challenge trail or, this summer, at the water play areas? Before saying "There's not enough" why not plan a day that includes the shows, the food and the atmosphere talent like La Feet and our new acrobat show, in adittion to our E ticket attractions like Soarin' and, in my opinion, the Animation building... and of course Screamin'!
I see thousands and thousands of people come through DCA every day with a smile on their face... and I just have to wonder if perspective and attitude aren't just as essential to a good time as the elements the "higher ups" decide to purchase or not.
LOVE to hear from you.:)

80S ERA
06-13-2001, 02:02 PM
Most of us who rag on DCA are obsessed with Disneyland. So obsessed, I might add - that we spend all this time on this message board!

I know I speak for many of us when I say that we had some our best times of our lives in the park! The memories and smiles we had in Disneyland is something we'd like to share with our children and future generations to come. Concern arises when we feel that the park (any of them) is not capable to bring the joy it once brought ourselves in the past.

Yes, some of us have been too hard on DCA....but many have very valid concerns and disappointments regarding this "Disney" park.

Some of the reasons many have voiced out concerns even BEFORE the park opened are many:
1. The original concept (Westcot) was much more grand
2. The park across the ocean (Tokyo) continues to amaze with Disney quality attractions - comparable to Disneyland attractions in the 50's, 60's and 70's during their time.
3. DCA was a "plan B"
4. Many of the concepts (carnival rides, etc) are not consistent with Walt's vision
5. We have grown to expect nothing but brilliant ideas from Disney when it comes to attractions (reasons why people are so disapointed in all the spinners and movies)
6. The outside world is too visible from the inside
The list could go on and on....(see other threads)

Yes, the park does have its moments, but let's not kid ourselves by giving DCA more credit than it deserves! I've heard the argument "Disneyland had low attendance when it opened in 1955..." or even, "Disneyland had fewer attractions when it first opened...." C'mon now. This is the year 2001 and you'd think Disney would have learned a thing or two from 46 years of being in the theme park business!

:mad:

Mandrake Linux
06-13-2001, 02:39 PM
Low attendance? Come on! Disneyland had like what? 5 Million the first year? If I am right. I don't remember the exact number. DCA probably gets less attendance a year then Disneyland gets in a day and it will continue to be that way, unless prices go down and they install a ride in that attractionless dump.

CTB21
06-13-2001, 03:46 PM
A dump is a dump, you can say --well this is OK ,or that is not so bad or if they change this around but its still a dump

Corith
06-13-2001, 04:02 PM
Even if it wasn't a Disney based amusement center, I'd still hate DCA.
It is just not a good value - $43 for carnival rides.

If I want that, I can go to Knotts or Magic Mountain. Knotts has more coasters, more eye candy, and great food at reasonable prices.
Magic Mountain, has just so many more thrill rides that the limited space of DCA is never going to match.

What DCA really is, is an example of Corporate Greed. Eisner and Pressler wanted to wring even more dollars out of the Disney name for the cheapest price. Notice how the rides were done so cheaply, yet the hotel, shopping, and dining areas are elaborately themed.

DisLee
06-13-2001, 04:29 PM
Back to DCA's magic... I'm sorry, but where exactly is DCA's magic? It must have been broken down the day I went. The park I saw had a handful of uninspired rides along with noisy, crass, in-your-face music and entertainment. Not my idea of magical.

DCA is not priced to be comparable to Disneyland...Ah, I think admission is exactly the same for both parks and they sit side by side, don't they? But I'm not supposed to compare them? :confused:

Lost Boy
06-13-2001, 07:49 PM
You know, Wonderful, I fully agree with you. I am a Disneyland Fanatic. Go as much as ill health right now provides. I can barly walk due to nerve damage in my feet caused by Diabetis, but I go anyway. I have been to DCA three time since it opened, and I like the Park very much. It is not a dump at all. There are some good rides and attraction here. Soarin, Screamin, The Animation Exhibit, Tough to be a Bug and Muppets 3-D. Do I care that the last 2 are transplants from Florida. Not at all. How many times can I afford a trip to Florida? I happen to love both these shows and am glad they are here now so I can see them often.
Does DCA have Problems? Yes it does. Some big problems, but I am not going to close my mind to the fact that there is some good stuff in here. It is not Disneyland, but then again, what is? Even the Magic Kingdom in Florida is not Disneyland. It never will be either. And Yes, I love Knott's and Univeral Studios Hollywood very much. So I am open minded enough to enjoy them all. :)

merlinjones
06-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Don't let DCA apologists rewrite history... Disneyland was an instant success with the public upon opening in 1955!

Yes, opening day was called "Black Sunday", but because nothing worked right, rides broke down, the live TV show had snafus, the bathrooms and plumbing weren't ready and the asphalt was still wet... AND TOO MANY PEOPLE SHOWED UP... the public came in droves, even though they weren't invited, with many people forging tickets or jumping the fence. They were determined to see Walt's Magic Kingdom as advertised on TV and they kept coming ever after, despite initial nitpicking by the press over the opening snafus.

But people wanted to see Disneyland... more than the park was ready to accommodate... unlike DCA where nobody showed up because nobody cared to. A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

The truth will set you free!

80S ERA
06-14-2001, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
I see thousands and thousands of people come through DCA every day with a smile on their face...

Wonderful - I'm sure many people had fun in DCA. I was one of them during AP preview day. It was nice to ride new attractions where I didn't memorize every twist and turn along with every word of dialouge! The park has its moments (see thread titled "A positive twist on DCA?") I enjoyed the large walkways and the activities geared toward adults.

However, I paid $20 for admission that day! And that's what its worth - TODAY. Someday it may be worth the $43? But not now. There were only 2 attractions (Soarin / Coaster) worth returning for, but not worth a 2-park AP upgrade or $43.

btw - are you a castmember at DCA? I received nothing but the best treatment from them during my visit. :)(except at "Hollywood 'n Dine" but didn't spoil my day)

PirateoftheCaribbean
06-14-2001, 07:27 AM
Yes, wonderful. You are correct on many counts. BUT, When Walt first decided to create Disneyland, he looked at cheap carnival rides and decided that was not what he wanted it to be.:)

dgthx
06-14-2001, 11:50 PM
I see thousands and thousands of people come through DCA every day with a smile on their face...

How many of those people leave DCA with a smile on their face?

CTB21
06-15-2001, 03:26 PM
I think the only people leaving DCA with smiles on their faces are the ones that do all there is to do in an hour or two then go to guest relations and get their money back or get comped into Disneyland.:)

disneyhead
06-15-2001, 03:45 PM
I agree, The whole DL Resort is a joke. Paul must have been smokin' crack when he thought that Ca. would be a great theme for a park. A section based on a California beach, where is the trash and medical waste. They can't get enough people in the park to make the Yosemite rip-off as overcrowded as the real thing. I don't think that there are nearly enough "Workin' Girls" in the Hollywood section. Where is the new Rolling Blackout Ride, and really, an a "attraction" based on Californian wine. This proves they don't even have good taste in your mouths. What's this "California Cuisine", an artichoke heart in the middle of a trash can lid. Have you been in the "Grand" Californian , WHAT A DUMP. I've seen nicer Motel 6's. And what about that stupid mall thing, a sports bar in LA, Is there a more lame sports town than LA (go Avs). The whloe thing was prettier as an asphalt wasteland.

JeffG
06-15-2001, 03:51 PM
I think the only people leaving DCA with smiles on their faces are the ones that do all there is to do in an hour or two then go to guest relations and get their money back or get comped into Disneyland.

That is probably true. Everyone else leaving the park is sad about having to go home, ending all the fun that they had during their visit to DCA.

-Jeff

cstephens
06-15-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by disneyhead
Have you been in the "Grand" Californian , WHAT A DUMP

Apparently, you're more used to staying at the Taj Mahal, then, if you consider the Grand Californian a dump. I think it's an absolutely beautiful hotel.

But then, based on your other comments, it's very obvious that we have extremely different perceptions of things.

wonderful
06-15-2001, 08:47 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for replying and I will not beat a horse, but to say that all the stuff about "Disneyland" opening not being a success is not what I tried to say and I am very much aware of the unique and special thing Disneyland is...
I also do not want anyone to think I would like to sugar coat the problems DCA has... and, believe me, your comments and concerns help a great deal, so I'd definitely suggest coming in to City Hall or The GR Lobby(DCA) but I would like to mention that being specific is key to seeing results..."a dump is a dump" doesn't help anyone :)
Finally, I guess it's okay to say I am a Cast Member (although I am almost sure I shouldn't) and I love my job AND the parks... all those magical memories I grew up with (and many of you did too) had a lot to do with my perspective (I know I mentioned it before, but...)
"you gotta believe in possibility"
DCA, to me, is not perfect.... but there's 55 acres of possibility there and I get to be a part of that;)

Mandrake Linux
06-15-2001, 08:59 PM
What if Disneyland's huge opening day attendance was due to theme parks were new back then? People always were looking for things to explore and it looked like the theme park buisiness was one of them. But now, when a new park opens people say "ooh, it's just another theme park, who cares." Maybe that is why DCA never gets any real attendance. I know for a fact that attendance hugely depends on word of mouth and pricing, but still, who knows?

pheneix
06-15-2001, 09:07 PM
That is probably true. Everyone else leaving the park is sad about having to go home, ending all the fun that they had during their visit to DCA.

Do you have facts to support that? Are you sure you didn't make that comment based off of assumption alone? Does this represent *your* opinion, or the opinion of the majority? Is this fact, or fiction?

I couldn't help but throw back a little taste of what you sent me at LP. ;)

Pheneix

merlinjones
06-16-2001, 01:18 AM
>>What if Disneyland's huge opening day attendance was due to theme parks were new back then? People always were looking for things to explore and it looked like the theme park buisiness was one of them. But now, when a new park opens people say "ooh, it's just another theme park, who cares."<<

How would that explain the enduring success of Disneyland for nearly fifty years? Just a fluke?

The very problem with DCA is "it's just another theme park" - - Disneyland has always been much more than that from day one. Still is.

Too bad the Company has lost its way under current management who, in their arrogance don't think the public can tell the difference (I've heard them say it). Nice to see that they are wrong.

Napsto
06-16-2001, 09:57 AM
dgthx has an awesoem avaatar.

dgthx
06-16-2001, 12:17 PM
Thanks Napsto.

Uncle Dick
04-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

Apparently, you're more used to staying at the Taj Mahal, then, if you consider the Grand Californian a dump. I think it's an absolutely beautiful hotel.
Actually, as I understand it, the Taj Mahal isn't exactly the nicest structure in the world. I have an Indian friend who says that the place is dirty and unkept and that beggers and animals have to be cleared away from the area before any picture crews are allowed to film it. And I'm not sure I'd want to be staying in the Taj Mahal anyway..... it is a mausoleum you know. ;)

The Grand Californian hotel is very beautiful, IMHO, the best thing to come out of the recent expansion. It's the best place in the resort to just relax for a while, and it's totally free.

Tigertail777
04-13-2002, 02:49 AM
Let's not forget the "other new park" across the way: Tokyo Disneysea.. Japan is going through a terrible recession almost to the point of a depression, yet this new park is always overly crowded and the hotel bookings are booked months and months in advance. The Imagineers that worked on it have even admitted off record that this is what DCA should have been. People all over the world have booked flights, and hotels just to go see this wonderful new park...can you really say that about DCA? AND with the paradise pier: there are some older style rides that were not included due to cost that would have added a historical signigance due to rarity of any of them existing anymore such as: the tunnel of love (it was supposed to be an adult park after all), a funhouse, a ghost-train etc. Disney had a real chance here to revive and preserve some dying amusement park traditions, and thus make their park unique, but they went for cheap easy to assemble stuff. So they even screwed up a theme that could have worked. I don't care what argument you use, they were just plain being cheap! Sure you might enjoy the park for what it has now, but just think how much more fun you would have had if they would have shelled out the bucks to do it right!

disneyholic family
04-13-2002, 05:49 AM
and speaking of tokyo disneysea, we're one of those families planing on flying over to see it...
i think i should change my signature to psycho-disney family...
3 weeks in july in WDW followed by 3 days in DL/DCA......
to be followed pretty soon thereafter with a week in september in TDL/TDS......psychotic obsessive compulsive disneyholic family...

as for the grand californian...that's where we're staying.....i'll let you know if i think it's a dump or the taj mahal.....or maybe just an overly priced nice hotel....

AliKzam
04-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Here's what I think:

I think DCA is probably a nice park. I'm not going to go to it, though. From what I've read online, and what I've heard from people who've been there, it's just not worth it. But I would love to see the Animation Building and the Muppets 3D. Not for $45, though.
By saying that I've read online that DCA's bad, one may assume that it's the internet's fault I am turned away from the park. Nope. The Disney Corp. built the park, people talked, and what people said ended up online.
I am, however, of the belief that if it weren't for the internet, DCA would have been visited by more people. But that would've only meant that more people would be dissapointed. DCA was really the first big Disney theme park thing that could actually be discussed over the internet as it was being built. Thanks to the internet, there's information out there for just about anything you want to know. That's really never happened before. Before, we could only rely on what Disney said, or what the newspaper said, if your newspaper really felt like writing about it.
I also think that trying to get Disney to see the light is like talking to a wall. They will not budge, even when the obvious is staring them in the face.
I wonder when we will get a third theme park? I bet it won't be for a long time. They might be having second thoughts. Seriously, if they would just make the third park our version of DisneySea, or something in that spectacular vein, they would have no problem getting people into it. And I really want them to do that.
I will go to DCA when it's worth going to. In the mean time, give me Disneyland, because I always look forward to going there.