PDA

View Full Version : Walt's Karma Police

merlinjones
07-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Did you ever notice that whenever they do something stupid to an old, much loved thing at Disneyland, they get the bad karma back in some fitting yin/yang way? Examples:

Main Street Electrical Parade is shuttered - - Replacement Light Magic is a flop!

Legendary Country Bear Jamboree is closed - - Movie based on it flops!

PeopleMover and Circlevision are closed - - the replacement ride flops, is closed in two years!

Submarine Voyage is closed - - New Tomorrowland flops!

Fantasmic! threatened to close - - LuminAria flops!

Parking lot closed - - DCA flops!

Nigel2
07-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

PeopleMover and Circlevision are closed - - the replacement ride flops, is closed in two years!

I am not sure if RR is so much a flop as it was poorly planed since that ride did draw large crowds.

Uncle Dick
07-30-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I am not sure if RR is so much a flop as it was poorly planed since that ride did draw large crowds.
Dictionary.com defines a "flop" as an utter failure. Based on the fact that the Rods were completely scrapped due to their inability to properly function, I'd say "utter failure" is a pretty good description.

Corith
07-30-2002, 03:13 PM
I don't think it based on any type of karma. It is an issue of simple misunderstanding. Eisiner and his crew, are 80's buisneess men. Money is the bottom line, quality is nothing, profit is everthing - morgage the future to pay for the present.

They are either utterly bewildered, or don't care, that the concept of shutting down attractions that cost money to open cheap attractions (both in construction and maintence) fails to win the hearts and minds of the average disney consumer.

What is really needed is a new vision, and that means that its time (and long since) for disney to have a new leader. Eisniers' time has come and gone. Sack him and a cadre of "yes" men.

merlinjones
07-30-2002, 04:59 PM
>>Just as the orginal Disneyland shows Walt's background in movie design, DCA shows Paul's background in retail.<<

Corith's sig is all too true.

I flipped through one of the Disneyland Resort Souvenier Books the other day, wondering how DCA would be photographed with so few attractive vistas.

Sure enough, most of the shots of DCA were digital cut-&-paste to include something in the background or cheat the perspective or combine images that are not really there. Otherwise they couldn't get a good picture.

Disneyland never had to do this. It was designed by film-makers to always be a good "shot"... and it is.

Nigel2
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Dictionary.com defines a "flop" as an utter failure. Based on the fact that the Rods were completely scrapped due to their inability to properly function, I'd say "utter failure" is a pretty good description.

Oh well, it did at least draw people in (heck the lines were all the way down main street when it opened.:D But alas it didn't pan out, oh well it did go to the "greater good". But the patrons didn't benefit as much as the builders.