PDA

View Full Version : DVC, Thinking about it! Availabilty?

wdwfamily4
11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Okay, we took the first step and stopped in at the Chicago office. All looked good until I got home and did further research.

1)The first thing the DVD shows is 100,000 members. Simple math tells me thats 100,000 weeks a year asumming most will use it one week a year, although I bet most use it more. I also assume most weeks are used at WDW. There are not nearly enough rooms to handle this number. What availabilty issues have people had?
2)Why a $95 charge to book at a non-DVC hotel. I would like to use matched points towards a cruise which we could not do without the extra points, but its hard to accept it cost $95 to spend more (calculated point value) money to go than I would if I payed cash.
3)Is it hard to get a preferred room even when booked 11 months in advance?

We would like to join DVC but have too many concerns that the CM at the store would not be able to answer honestly.Are there other negatives that may need to be considered in our decision?
Would you do it again if given the choice?
How hard is it to liquidate one of these if you really don't like it?

GusMan
11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
1)The first thing the DVD shows is 100,000 members. Simple math tells me thats 100,000 weeks a year asumming most will use it one week a year, although I bet most use it more. I also assume most weeks are used at WDW. There are not nearly enough rooms to handle this number. What availabilty issues have people had?
I would not get tied up in the math, if you ask me. Its not really a good indicator of how "busy" DVC resorts can be. The second part, though, is the better question to focus on. From my experience as a renter and a member, and from research I did before I became a member, if you plan things out and try to get your reservations in right after the eligible dates, its usually not that much of an issue. The only time I had an issue with it is when it was last minute and during a busier time. However, there have been stories of people being able to get last minute ressies, so its not out of the question. You would just have to be flexible.

2)Why a $95 charge to book at a non-DVC hotel. I would like to use matched points towards a cruise which we could not do without the extra points, but its hard to accept it cost $95 to spend more (calculated point value) money to go than I would if I payed cash.
From what I understand, this is an administrative fee. This is because you are actually trading in your points for a reservation at a non-DVC resort or vacation package and they have to make that trade happen manually. The same fee applies if you want to use points somewhere outside of Disney such as a trip overseas and the like. There appears to be some grumblings and "mystery" regarding this fee according to some, but it is not really a big deal if you are mainly a park goer.

The key thing is to remember that in the vast majority of cases, you will get the biggest bang for your buck by using your points at a DVC resort.

3)Is it hard to get a preferred room even when booked 11 months in advance?
It really depends. Some resorts have more preferred view rooms than others while some resorts are mainly preferred rooms. Chanced are, calling at the 11 month mark will give you the most options to choose from.

We would like to join DVC but have too many concerns that the CM at the store would not be able to answer honestly.Are there other negatives that may need to be considered in our decision?
You have to be sure that DVC is really for you and make sure you will benefit from pre-paying your vacation lodging for the next 40 years. You will need to understand the details such as how housekeeping works, banking and borrowing points, long term costs, and the like. None of these details are difficult to understand but it is just as important to understand them. Guides are there to answer your questions until you are satisfied.

Would you do it again if given the choice?
Yes. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

How hard is it to liquidate one of these if you really don't like it?
Thats a little harder to answer, but there are brokers that will market your membership on the resale market. But if you try to dump it too quickly, you will probably end up loosing money. My advice is that if you still are wondering about it, rent points from a member for your next vacation. Try out a resort and its accommodations. Get a feel for it while actually there. This is what we did and it pretty much made up our mind.

Hope that helps.

wdwfamily4
11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you Gusman
We did stay in the one bedroom at SSR the last time we where there.The rooms where great. We are looking at the AKV DVC. We understand the points sytem and how it works.And we do understand that housekeeping is every 4 days or somthing like that.You are right the long term cost do concern us but can be overlooked if the value is there. Like you if we had did it earlier (4 years ago ) the money we have spent on WDW hotels would have paid it off by now.I guess it more last minute thinking that is holding us back.Plus the fact that we would have to finance and that charge on top of maintenence cost is a lot of money going out at first. Although what we would be paying the first year for the DVC is less than a cruise and 3 night stay would cost if payed in cash like we had planned.

wdwfamily4
11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
What about this scenario: You book a 1 bedroom and request a certain view. When you arrive the view is not available in a 1 bedroom but is available in a studio. Can you get the difference in points credited back easily if you choose to go with the studio?

Tony
11-05-2007, 12:11 PM
What about this scenario: You book a 1 bedroom and request a certain view. When you arrive the view is not available in a 1 bedroom but is available in a studio. Can you get the difference in points credited back easily if you choose to go with the studio?

No, if you downgrade the day of your arrival, the points are lost. That becomes your choice, not DVC's. They generally won't guarantee a specific view, and that lack of a guarantee means that your choice is yours. They blocked a 1-bedroom for you, and you took something different. That may very well mean another member wasn't able to book the 1-bedroom they wanted, and that point use is now lost to them.

GusMan
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
They generally won't guarantee a specific view...
Out of curiosity, what about those resorts that have different point values for different kinds of rooms? (Standard/preferred/etc...) If you make a ressie for a particular type of room, are you at least guaranteed that type of room? Not talking about a specific location, mind you, but just room type.

Tony
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Out of curiosity, what about those resorts that have different point values for different kinds of rooms? (Standard/preferred/etc...) If you make a ressie for a particular type of room, are you at least guaranteed that type of room? Not talking about a specific location, mind you, but just room type.

Yes, those they guarantee. And in some properties, they will guarantee location (like AKL can guarantee Jambo house, and when it opens Kidandi Village as separate reservations). But if you request at SSR a Congress Park Water View, you may still end up with the Carousel building at the exact opposite end of the complex.

DVC Mike
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

The only resorts with guaranteed views are BWV, AKV, and now OKW (near HH). There are different booking categories with different point costs.

They don't have booking categories at SSR, BCV, and VWL.

simzac
11-06-2007, 03:05 AM
I first found out about DVC way back in 1996. Our family hadn't even been to WDW yet, but it looked to be a good deal. I decided to wait, and then spent 10 years studying DVC before finally purchasing at OKW last year. The money we spent on other vacations over that 10 year period would have paid for my membership in 96 many times over. I kick myself every day for not buying in earlier when I had the chance. If your going to vacation at least once a year at WDW, then DVC is the way to go. But don't do it because I or anyone else tells you to do so. You have to be the one who makes the final decision. One point though, can 100,000 plus members be wrong about DVC? Good luck with your decision.

wdwfamily4
11-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Thank you Everyone for your thoughts.
How much ,if any of the yearly maintenance fees are deductable on federal income taxes filing the long form? Has anyone had problems deducting the interest if you finance?

Getting close to deciding now!:D

GusMan
11-06-2007, 05:54 AM
How much ,if any of the yearly maintenance fees are deductable on federal income taxes filing the long form? Has anyone had problems deducting the interest if you finance?
First off - a disclaimer - never take info you get off the internet regarding taxes, deductions, and the like, at face value. Do check with your tax adviser to as the best way to handle your personal tax situation.

Some of the annual fees can be deducted, but only the amount that is related to property taxes. It is not all that large of an amount compared to the rest of the fees. In essence, typically you can treat those taxes as if they were paid on a second home and deduct accordingly.

At the same time, if you already have a second home and are paying taxes on that, you may not be able to deduct the taxes on the DVC property as well. In a case like that, many people just use the property for which they paid the largest amount of taxes.

As for interest... Im not 100% sure and at the same time it depends on how you finance your purchase. I believe if you finance through Disney the interest is deductible just like any other mortgage interest. Others may chime in as to what they have done, but like I mentioned above, it is always a good idea to check with your tax adviser to make sure you take proper advantage of any eligible deductions.

wdwfamily4
11-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Took the plunge today.200 points AKV.:D

GusMan
11-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, Congrats and welcome home!!

deanglin
11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Welcome, we are also new AKV owners! We are planning Christmas 2008 trip.

KJSJpipe
11-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome Home!