PDA

View Full Version : Rides moving to DCA

Pages : [1] 2

ricksfca
07-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Here's a question for all of you...

If you had to move ONE ride (no E-ticket attractions) to DCA what would it be?

Keep in mind, it must add to DCA's feel and fit into the park's space.

MouseWife
07-29-2002, 04:32 PM
I have to ask:
From Disneyland or from any park?

ricksfca
07-29-2002, 04:39 PM
ONLY DISNEYLAND....NO OTHER DISNEY PARK.

SimpTwister
07-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Autopia.

I'd say Star Tours, but as we all know DCA already has too many film-based rides.

ricksfca
07-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Autopia is a natural, you're right. I've always thought they should connect both Disneyland and a DCA "Hollywood Freeway" Autopia. Intertwining them would allow Disneyland riders to see a bit of DCA and vice-versa. Too bad they don't have the Skyway anymore...it could have done the same thing.

merlinjones
07-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Star Tours (They need another good E-ride in Hollywood - - frees up Tomorrowland for the return of Inner Space!).

Autopia (what could be more California?)

Country Bears

Gadget's Go-Coaster (retheme for PP - - never did fit into Disneyland)

wonderful
07-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Autopia makes a WHOLE LOT of sense...
Star Tours-- yes...
Mickey's Toontown--- just think, tag it on to Hollywood and it makes SO much more sense... plus, lots to do for kids at DCA =)
Somehow, someway let the Monorail pickup in DCA... another 'ride' and service for the park and DL doesn't have to lose it for DCA to gain it...
Ariel's Grotto somewhere near paradise Pier... that's all for now

snappy
07-29-2002, 08:17 PM
They need to not move rides but to invent some new and exciting ones!!
* Why not get rid of the entire Hollywood backlot and build a water park with a wave pool for surfing. Just a thought. At least they might get guest during the summer hours.
* What about a monorail stop.
* Skyway round trip would be cool.
* Tiki room move, YEA!
* Another version of Big Thunder. Call it Gold Canyon. With dips and chills.

coronamouseman
07-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Forget any Disneyland attractions - build a new version of a "Hollywood Freeway" ride based upon the Test Track vehicles which travels around the outside of DCA at 65 mph ........

mousketeer
07-29-2002, 09:42 PM
You all need to face that favorite rides like inner space, mission to mars... will probably not return to any Disney parks. As much as i like nostalgia, there is a time when a ride needs to go. Some were removed because they were no longer popular or expensive to maintain. It's part of life. The only ride I think has a bleak opportunity of returning would be Country Bears to DCA. They would never mess with Autopia or Star Tours. Just the same why they would never remove Rivers of America. It's a waste of valuable space, but it's history. Inner Space was no like that, or of Autopia, or Monorail. It was never immediatley recognized with Disney. Rides like Autopia, Monorail, Tiki Room, and Jungle Cruise are there to stay for a long time. They might be gone by the time I'm collecting social security, but let's wait and see.

Uncle Dick
07-30-2002, 02:15 AM
Move Innoventions to a new building in the Golden State area. Call it "Silicon Valley". Then, either ship the Carousel of Progress back to the Carousel Theater in Disneyland or create a new show that uses the innovative design of the theater.

Pooh
07-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mousketeer
You all need to face that favorite rides like inner space, mission to mars... will probably not return to any Disney parks. As much as i like nostalgia, there is a time when a ride needs to go. Some were removed because they were no longer popular or expensive to maintain. It's part of life.

So was "Adventure Through Inner Space" too expensive or no longer popular? I find it hard to believe that it was no longer popular when so many people remember it. You might want to be careful in calling rides no longer popular. I think many who post on this web-site are nostalgic for the Disney of our childhood. My Disney was in the late 70s with Mission to Mars, Adventure Through Inner Space, the Peoplemover, the Skyway, the Submarines, Country Bear Jamboree (without the vacation theme), etc.

What would be great is if Disney built a 3rd California park. I know how they could do it cheaply, guaranteed visitors, and save a lot on the costs for imagineers - Yesterland! I love the web-site with all the old stuff and have shared it with my students. They get a big kick out of it. (They're 2nd graders.)

MonorailMan
07-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by snappy

* What about a monorail stop.

NO! Would mess up loading/unloading patterns, number of Monorails run, and It would kill the Monorail karma. :)

merlinjones
07-31-2002, 08:09 AM
>>You all need to face that favorite rides like inner space, mission to mars... will probably not return to any Disney parks. As much as i like nostalgia, there is a time when a ride needs to go. Some were removed because they were no longer popular or expensive to maintain. It's part of life. <<

Adventure Thru Inner Space was still VERY popular when it was taken out... and it was NOT expensive to maintain. Star Tours should have been placed in another location. They didn't like Inner Space because people made-out and smoked pot inside (one of the reasons it was so popular). Bring it back!

Skyway was still VERY popular when they closed it and it was NOT that expensive to maintain either. Problem was it needed an updated mechanism and they didn't want to pony up - - and the spoilsport lawyers didn't even want to think about that ride after some idiots shananigans. And people smoked pot up there too. Bring it back!

Submarine Voyage was still popular when it closed (though needed updating) - - yes, that one was expensive to keep up - - but so what - - slash a few VP's from the budget and run the subs! I don't think pot was an issue here... Bring it back!

Hook's Pirate Ship/Skull Rock was popular and cost nothing to maintain. It died an unholy death by poor planning and they were too cheap to bring it back.

Golden Horshoe Revue and Tahitian Terrace Polynesian Revue were ALWAYS popular and full - - cost too much? How come they could afford them then and still make a profit when they charge so much more than the inflation rate today?

Now... Mission to Mars was unpopular at closing and outdated, as was the Motor Boat Cruise and America Sings and Captain EO (though each always had its fans).

Bill Catherall
07-31-2002, 08:21 AM
{a little off topic}

Where was Skull Rock and Captain Hooks Pirate Ship located in Fantasyland? I vaguely remember it, and pictures don't seem to show detail of where it was.

merlinjones
07-31-2002, 08:26 AM
>>Where was Skull Rock and Captain Hooks Pirate Ship located in Fantasyland? I vaguely remember it, and pictures don't seem to show detail of where it was.<<

Where Dumbo is now. Dead center of Fantasyland and quite an attractive centerpiece. The rocks to the right of Dumbo belonged to the base of Skull Rock.

Dumbo had been over where Pinocchio's restaurant outdoor seating is.

Baxter wanted to group Casey Jr and Dumbo as a travelling circus visiting the "village" so decided to relocate the ship (unfortunately) and the crane broke it.

Bill Catherall
07-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Baxter wanted to group Casey Jr and Dumbo as a travelling circus visiting the "village" so decided to relocate the ship (unfortunately) and the crane broke it.
D'oh! :( :crying:

Corith
07-31-2002, 09:00 AM
One ride, huh?

Does all of tomorrowland count? Once moved, DCA could be renamed to Pressler's Folly.

Marty
07-31-2002, 01:21 PM
They didn't like Inner Space because people made-out and smoked pot inside (one of the reasons it was so popular). Bring it back!

Oh, I didn’t know that. Well then for once I’m with merlinjones. I too say bring it back. ;)

ricksfca
07-31-2002, 05:44 PM
If they were so worried about pot smoking on rides they shouldn't have built the ferris wheel at DCA. I've seen and smelled the fragrant herb on more than one occasion up there.

LIMANDL4EVA
07-31-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Forget any Disneyland attractions - build a new version of a "Hollywood Freeway" ride based upon the Test Track vehicles which travels around the outside of DCA at 65 mph ........
yeah and maybe they could add a cobra roll and a corkscrew and call it rock n' roller coaster!

merlinjones
08-05-2002, 08:05 PM
>>If they were so worried about pot smoking on rides they shouldn't have built the ferris wheel
at DCA. I've seen and smelled the fragrant herb on more than one occasion up there.<<

Maybe they thought pot at DCA was a "hip and edgy" urban enhancement - - or even more likely did a study on how "the munchies" might spike concession sales!

JRob2k1
08-05-2002, 08:35 PM
They didn't like Inner Space because people made-out and smoked pot inside (one of the reasons it was so popular). Bring it back!

Why was I born so young to miss all the good ones?

-JRob

Pooh
12-07-2002, 01:47 PM
While we're talking about what to get rid of or change (though, I know this post is a bit old), how difficult would it be to have different 3-D movies at "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"? I'm sure they still have "Captain Eo." Can't they just vary the movie every other show like they used to do at Circlevision?
The effect of the theater movie when the boy picks it up could even be used during Eo, maybe when the ship lands or something.
In other words, CHANGE THE 3-D MOVIE! "Honey" has been there wayyyyyy too long!
Why is it that they dump the rides that people like and keep the overdone ones? :confused:

Uncle Dick
12-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Pooh
While we're talking about what to get rid of or change (though, I know this post is a bit old), how difficult would it be to have different 3-D movies at "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"? I'm sure they still have "Captain Eo." Can't they just vary the movie every other show like they used to do at Circlevision?
I don't quite remember how the interior of the Magic Eye Theater looked when Captain EO was playing, but my guess is that is was rather different than the Imagination Institute. Playing both films at the same time would probably require "redressing" between showings that requires extra CMs and reduces the overall hourly capacity of the attraction.

Besides, having Captain EO perform in the Imagination Insitute would pretty much ruin the illusion that you're actually inside a working laboratory, sitting in a large auditorium.

I also don't know what you mean by "wayyyyyy too long". Captain EO played there for over 10 years (I think). HISTA has only been around for 4.