PDA

View Full Version : A bit of nostalgia

Pages : [1] 2

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Here are a few great pictures of what Disneyland looked like in 1968. Click here. (http://www.etixland.com/dland68/dland68.htm)

I know Bill Catherall has a site that also has some great "Yesterland" pics. Does anyone else know of any websites with old Disneyland shots?

Gemini Cricket
07-29-2002, 03:19 PM
What a cool site! Lots of great pictures. Ahhh, I miss the way Tomorrowland used to look...
:)

Thanks, CP! :)

HBTiggerFan
07-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Thats great CP! Thansk for sharing that! :)

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2002, 03:41 PM
I just found a good one!
http://home.pacbell.net/jonvn/index.html

mad4mky
07-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Great sites CP...:) .

I remember the park back in 1968...I was 9 years old that year. :rolleyes:

Not Afraid
07-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Here are a few great pictures of what Disneyland looked like in 1968. Click here. (http://www.etixland.com/dland68/dland68.htm)

First of all, this site is WAY FAR OUT! I was THERE!!!.

And, I'm not just saying that. The little mystery girl in the picture looks like me. Right age, right hair, fight dress, right kneesocks - but I don't have a matching picture.

Unless............FILM! All of those home movies.

Anyway, this is too strange and, even if it's not me, these are great pics from my childhood.

Thanks for the link CP!

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The little mystery girl in the picture looks like me. Right age, right hair, fight dress, right kneesocks - but I don't have a matching picture.

Unless............FILM! All of those home movies.

I'd do some research if I were you...and then email the guy! Looks like you can't help being in other people's photo albums. :D

Not Afraid
07-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Looks like you can't help being in other people's photo albums. :D

Well, Doctor, my problem started at a very young age......................

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

For those of you who are just babes in the woods (as opposed to old ladies like me - NOT) take a good look at these Tomorrowland pics. They are absolutely beautiful and really show what it was like. It was a magical place!

stinkerbell
07-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Awesome pics! Thanks for the links.

Gawd, I miss Tomorrowland!!!! :(

Bill Catherall
07-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Very cool!! :cool:

I love looking at old Disneyland photos. :D

Gemini Cricket
07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
I just found a good one!
http://home.pacbell.net/jonvn/index.html
Wow, Steamboat Willie has been playing for a long time. Must be the longest run ever. :D

innerspaceMan has to see this one for the shots of his favorite ride... :)

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
In looking at the second site I posted, I found a mention of something called "the Space Stage Theater". Scroll down on this page (http://home.pacbell.net/jonvn/tomorrowland2.html) to see the mention.

I did not know there used to be a stage there. Where was it, exactly? Looks like it was behind the escalator to Space Mountain. I can't find anything on it online either. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can someone help me out?

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Wait - I found it at yesterland.com (http://www.yesterland.com/tomorrowstage.html), of course.
:o

Gemini Cricket
07-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Wait - I found it at yesterland.com (http://www.yesterland.com/tomorrowstage.html), of course.
:o
This is great stuff you got here, CP. It is kinda like looking through someone else's photo album (of course, without their commentary...:D). It's so voyueristic...

Allysen1Derland
07-29-2002, 06:02 PM
Thanks, CP! I love looking at nostalgic pictures of Disneyland! I remember when I was a little girl my Grandma had a Disneyland book from the mid sixties. I LOVED looking at those pictures, and I loved that book! Sometimes I wish I had a time machine, because how cool would it be to see a whole different Disneyland? Okay, it's a really big stretch as far as wishes go, but isn't that what wishes are all about? Especially to see old Fantasyland! That land doesn't even resemble today's Fantasyland!

Very Cool! ;)

JCLowesman
07-29-2002, 06:06 PM
Your photos for DL circa 1968 are GREAT!

By the way that older couple standing to the right in the picture of the Tiki Room pre-show area were my Grandparents. I'll assume that I was in front of them, since the only time they went there was with me. That was their last trip to the park, since my Grandfather passed away the next year.

It really is " a SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL!":rolleyes:

LibraryGirl
07-29-2002, 07:44 PM
CP, I am reminded of the warm summers I spent in the 70s and 80s in the park. Thank you for the wonderful links!!

Pony Sugrue
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
Those really are great. Everyone looks like attendees from LBJ's daughter's wedding or something.

Etixland
07-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Hello All, just popping in via Not Afraid's referral to say thanks for all your kind comments regarding my Disneyland '68 pages on my website, etixland.com, and thanks to Cadaverous Pallor for originating the link here. Always nice to have new visitors!

Glad you all enjoyed the trip back in time -- though I'm in the process of updating that section with much larger, color-corrected versions of the same photos... wish I'd completed the upgrade before you all had seen it!

In any case, will have those improvements up soon and will post a note if anyone wants a second, clearer look at my vintage pics.

Indeed, Not Afraid took your advice and emailed me about her possible appearance in that photo... we haven't been able to confirm it yet, but it will be an amazing coincidence if she turns out to be the Mystery Girl, thanks to this board. :)

Now, back to work on those new scans! Thanks again, folks.

roberts1398
07-30-2002, 04:13 PM
These photos are wonderful, but the Tomorrowland ones make me so SAD! This is the Disneyland I will always see in my memory. Tomorrowland was IT for me. Loved sitting in the Tomorrowland Terrace as a dreamy-eyed pre-teen, hoping the gorgeous if somewhat off-key singer would notice me. TL was so filled with exciting things: the Monorail, the Subs, the People Mover (ok, well, maybe it wasn't exciting, but I adored it, especially when my feet were tired!), Skyway, Autopia, Mission to Mars, the Jets, America Sings (I admit it -- I loved it!), America the Beautiful in the Circlevision, Innerspace ... ok, what am I forgetting, pre-Star Tours and Space Mtn?

It really is such a hollow shell now compared to the mystery it held during my childhood and pre-adolescent years.

Depressing! :crying:

Diane

Etixland
07-30-2002, 06:47 PM
UPDATE: the new Disneyland '68 pictures are uploaded. CP's link at the top of the thread still works to get you there if you want a look.

Thanks, and enjoy.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-31-2002, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the boards, Etixland! I'm glad all of this praise has reached your ears. Thanks to NA for nudging him here...;)

If anyone else has Disney memory sites, post them so everyone can enjoy.

While you're looking at them, though, you might want to delight your ears as well (http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini.cgi?membername=rdunbar&site=..&clientType=&playlist=undefined&tm=1027443093374). Flubber's audio Disneyland is just like being there! :D

I think I'm becoming a real addict, getting my fix any way I can.....:rolleyes: :D :cool:

innerSpaceman
07-31-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
innerspaceMan has to see this one for the shots of his favorite ride... :)
Oh my gawd! Loved it, loved it. These sites are great! The photos of Tomorrowland (and yes, AtIS) are great, but lordy that Adventure thru Inner Space souvenir booklet!!! Never seen that before in my life! e-bay, here i come.

Ok, forget my plan to recreate the Inner Space ride in my back yard. We must all win the lottery and contribute our winnings to making a full-on recreation of 1967 Tomorrowland!

Etixland
07-31-2002, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the boards, Etixland! I'm glad all of this praise has reached your ears. Thanks to NA for nudging him here...;)

Not only has everyone's kind praise reached my ears, but literally hundreds of readers have reached my website! My traffic has more than doubled in the past two days, thanks to your mention on this board. :)

And to innerSpaceman, if one of the retro sites you saw was mine, as linked above, I humbly direct you to my main page where I link to an article I wrote about ATIS for another site. You might enjoy the read if you're a fan of the ride as I am. There's also another article of mine on the same site about DL's classic Carousel of Progress, for you retro readers who long for the prime of Tomorroland.

I'm enjoying all these other links people are providing, great for me to discover new (and old) retro sites as well! Thanks, all.

The Jazzman
07-31-2002, 02:08 PM
Wow wow wow wow wow!!

That is such a cool site Etixland. That's a little before my time, but seeing those pics gets me all excited, and somewhat envious. I wish I could visit that Tomorrowland. Everything looks so clean, exciting, and even now, 34 years later, futuristic. Like it's the land of tomorrow or something! :D The people also all looked so happy and nice, decked out in their near-Sunday best, like Disneyland was the biggest treat (which I believe it is still). Very, very cool.