PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the Pieces of Eight machine is alive and well?

PoomShanka
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I haven't been to Disneyland in many years, but the machine was in the Pieces of Eight shop in New Orleans Square. You could stamp your name (or anything you wanted) on a neat "coin". My brother and I always loved that, and I'm hoping it's still there so our kids can get their own coins. I hope it's still working, and that they haven't changed the "coins" to cheap plastic things with Johnny Depp's face or anything. :mad: (No offense to Johnny Depp)

:)

spectromen
11-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Sad to say, no it's been removed for many years. :crying:

PoomShanka
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Whaaaaaa :crying:

*SIGH* I can't say I am surprised, but I am saddened nonetheless.

Thanks for letting me know!

cstephens
11-03-2007, 06:21 AM
The last time I saw the machine was October 31, 2006. It was just inside the door of Le Bat en Rouge, and I was really surprised to see it since I hadn't even seen the machine in ages. It had an "out of order" sticker on it, but it almost always did. I think that's why they did away with it. It broke down all the time and was apparently really hard to fix or expensive or very few people around to fix it or something like that. Here's the picture I took of it. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/10-22-06/67.jpg) Here's a close-up of the top. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/10-22-06/68.jpg)

I was hoping it meant it would be around again, but I haven't seen it since then.

stan4d_steph
11-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I have a coin from that machine. Too bad it's gone.

Wobble
11-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I have a coin from that machine in my baby book! i turned 2 at disneyland and my parents got one of those coins out of that machine on my birthday. :) Too bad it no longer is around.

RStar
11-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Back when my wife and I were first dating we would always get one with the date of our trip. This was in the late 70's. Then through the 80's after we were married, and our kids first trips in the late 80's we continued. It never seemed to be broken then. But in the 90's it was broken most of the time. I guess it just got old (if in fact it was only one machine). I will always treasure those coins, and now they are a part of yesterland. Unless they have the machine and can fix it.....

Anyone know if it is back stage somewhere?

RemainSeatedPlease
11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
When I last went to the park in Oct 07, I actually had a chance to speak with a woman who was a Disneyland Historian and works behinds the scenes (she was there with some older family friends I know who live in So Cal). I got to ask her about the machine and she said she has seen it, in some back room and knew they were trying to bring it out, but it just takes alot of beatings with the way it works. She knows they want to bring it out, but it is a pain.

They should just make a different verison of the machine! They seem to know it's popular enough.

10-97
11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I hope the machine comes back.

It might seem kind of sappy to feel that a souvenir machine can add so much to a vacation, but our family usually visits DL on a special occasion (Mothers Day, Fathers Day, birthdays, etc.), and we used to always stamp one of these coins as a memento.

It's kind of like having Mickey Mouse pancakes at the River Belle Terrace, while listening to the Swisskapolka music coming from the Swiss Family Treehouse. Once it becomes part of your DL routine, you miss it when it's gone.