PDA

View Full Version : Idea for California Adventure Makeover

animalx
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Regarding the recent report of getting rid of the Maliboomer and the Orange. I would be rid of Maliboomer and keep the Orange. I would convert the Orange into a Dark Ride. I would make the Orange a solid . People would swing in total darkness. Have music playing with projected images on the walls. Laser Lights etc. Something like a Rock N Orange Ride but instead of rock music maybe play whoever is on the Disney Label aka: Miley Cyrus etc.
Just a idea that should be cost effective and keep the scenic Orange in place.

:p

potzbie
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
You know, that's not a half-bad idea!

If you make it dark, then you can add an extra effect -- Have the walls of the big orange building swing in the direction OPPOSITE the swingers, with dots of light like stars, thus giving the illusion of going twice as fast.

Think of the old People Mover "speed wall" illusion.

itig
11-02-2007, 04:57 PM
ugh....I'm getting sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

gtpinoy
11-03-2007, 04:24 PM

That's exactly what I was just thinking.

Leap for Joy
11-03-2007, 07:18 PM

LOL, me too! It's a great idea though!

BQ2
11-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Bring back the parking lot!

gobears97
11-04-2007, 07:54 PM
I for one would not have any problem with getting rid of both of those rides, but my stepson would be upset about the Orange. I am sure that we can all think of many other rides that the park would be better without. Personally, I can't stand the Wheel. It makes my stomach churn just to think about.

Rufus T Firefly
11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm wondering if the removal of those rides isn't in preparation for the construction of the viewing area for the upcoming water spectacular show?

Bytebear
11-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Quite honestly, I don't see what the big deal about the viewing area for the water show. The area across from the Sun Wheel where they have that large unused rotunda area seems plenty big to have a ton of seating for a water show, not to mention the railing all around the lagoon. I can't imagine any water show at DCA being more popular than Fantasmic, and replacing that rotunda with some kind of seating area should be plenty of room for everyone.

As for the Orange Stinger, I like the idea of enclosing it and having video screens or some kind of effects. Perhaps you could even do some sort of flying carpet/broomstick type visuals where you are flying around various landmarks. Let's get those imagineering brains working.

bigrockstar
11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Alright... I guess I'm in the minority here.

I LOVE the Maliboomer! The view is awesome, and it is a fun, quick-loading ride that happens very fast.

The Orange Stinger is so blah and a similar ride travels all over the country every year to fairs and carnivals.

I love the ideas though. I guess I would ride the stinger if it was different.

kiki
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Alright... I guess I'm in the minority here.
I LOVE the Maliboomer! The view is awesome, and it is a fun, quick-loading ride that happens very fast .

You are not alone. I love that ride and Im gonna be sad to see it go. Im a big adrenaline junkie, and this gives me my fix in a big way:D

I do like the idea for the Orange Stinger.

wenderella
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
My kids LOVE the Orange Zinger. Why...not sure...a kid thing, I think. We made our 2nd trip to WDW in early October, and have decided that Expedition Everest is a MUST at California Adventure. It's the best ride at WDW in our opinion. Now I know it has NOTHING to do with the "California" theme, going on, but it is so incredible. I think it would tuck nicely in that back parking lot, behind Screamin'. Humm? We'd love it! Maybe they could call it...Yosemite Yetti...something? Just a thought!

MiaTurner
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I love scary rides and rollercoasters, and yet everything on Paradise Pier save from Screamin' makes me sick. The swings on the orange are a lil too high and fast for me, can't do the crazy drop one that I can't for the life of me remember the name of (odd since I adore Tower of Terror), Mullholland Drive scares the daylights outta me when it whips by those corners, and even the Jellyfish make me at least a little bit nervous. Never been on a ferris wheel in my life, so I'm not about to touch the Sun Wheel.

I think I'd still miss those two rides though... I like CA Adventure the way it is... I feel like I'm missing something with the makeover on DCA; isn't DL really in need of one? You know, do something with the peoplemover track, put something in the top level of the starcade, that sort of thing?

The one improvement DCA needs that I can think of off the top of my head is some sort of transportation system like the Disneyland railroad... The walk from Paradise Pier to pretty much anywhere else in the park is ridiculous ;)

Rufus T Firefly
11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
The one improvement DCA needs that I can think of off the top of my head is some sort of transportation system like the Disneyland railroad... The walk from Paradise Pier to pretty much anywhere else in the park is ridiculous ;)

There are plans for an old fashioned trolly system that would board just inside the front gates.

bigrockstar
11-07-2007, 07:08 AM
AAch! a trolley that moves around the park?! It would be cool, except that on the rare occasion that the park is busy, the streets are difficult enough to move through. I say BRING BACK THE SKYWAY! make it go from DCA to DL and back again, or something...:p

princessy777
11-07-2007, 07:18 AM
AAch! a trolley that moves around the park?! It would be cool, except that on the rare occasion that the park is busy, the streets are difficult enough to move through. I say BRING BACK THE SKYWAY! make it go from DCA to DL and back again, or something...:p

I read that the deal with the skyway is bringing one up to code. That's supposedly why they got rid of the old one. And loading and unloading people with wheelchairs and those scooter things. I love the skyway! They still have one here in SD at the zoo and Seaworld. At Sea World you go right back where you started from. At the Zoo it is a one way.

pixar
11-07-2007, 07:21 AM

I think one of the reasons they got rid of the skyway is because you can see all the behind the scenes stuff from the air. I did enjoy that ride as a kid though, especially when it went through the matterhorn!

MiaTurner
11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I read that the deal with the skyway is bringing one up to code. That's supposedly why they got rid of the old one. And loading and unloading people with wheelchairs and those scooter things. I love the skyway! They still have one here in SD at the zoo and Seaworld. At Sea World you go right back where you started from. At the Zoo it is a one way.

The Sea World one is my favorite because it goes to the Sea World Marine Biology Research Center ;) When we visited it during Sea World Career Camp, we waved like maniacs to all the skyway rides who came through.

But getting back on topic, a trolley system might be interesting... The skyway idea wouldn't really appeal to those with a fear of heights I think. (I never rode the skyway as a kid, it freaked me out.) But then again a trolley might cause the same problems Main Street has: sometimes on a busy day it's so loud I can't even hear the horses/cars/etc. behind me and have to be rescued by someone ;) Plus DCA is kinda small, which might cause a few problems.

Oh, and not to mention to get ANYWHERE in DCA you'd have to go through a parade route. (The Block Party or Pep Ralley.) Would they just stop operation during those times?

Eh... I think the monorail and DD railroad are the best uses of transportation: off the ground where they don't effect anything happening ON the ground.

Bytebear
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
It will be interesting to see how they do transportation. If the trolleys are on the streets, it will cause issues (think, Jolly Trolley). If the trolley goes behind the scenes though, it could be interesting. Or if it were elevated, that would be cool. The cars would have to be locked down though, but I am picturing a combination of the Railroad and the People Mover.

Rufus T Firefly
11-07-2007, 06:26 PM
It was my understanding that the trolley line would be similiar to the old Southern Calif. Red Car line. Sort of what is depicted in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Leofoenget
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Regarding the recent report of getting rid of the Maliboomer and the Orange. I would be rid of Maliboomer and keep the Orange. I would convert the Orange into a Dark Ride. I would make the Orange a solid . People would swing in total darkness. Have music playing with projected images on the walls. Laser Lights etc. Something like a Rock N Orange Ride but instead of rock music maybe play whoever is on the Disney Label aka: Miley Cyrus etc.
Just a idea that should be cost effective and keep the scenic Orange in place.

:p

How about making it a planet or something (get rid of the orange) and make it a light show or a planetarium.