PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter ticket discount for Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jrsharp21
11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Last time Southern California had the big fires a few years ago, Disneyland extended a ticket discount to firefighters and their families. Anyone know if Disneyland is planning on doing this again?

Darkbeer
11-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Yes, a recent Disney Press Release talked about a specific day that would honor the SoCal Firefighters.

But Knott's already has a few weeks of free admission

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=82823

rgcook
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Just received this link for the above mentioned discount.

www.disneyland.com/heroes

Thanks to Disneyland and the Disney Company for this generous offer.

Just a suggestion:
Let me preface this by saying that:
1) I'm an AP so this wouldn't effect me anyways....
2) Nobody in the above catagories does their job for these perks, and nobody expects them.

I know our Fire Department (in Northern California) sent 10 personnel and 2 fire engines to Southern California as did many other No. CA fire departments. It would be nice to extend the offer to those firefighters who also answered the call from up North when asked to respond to help.

Again, just my .02. Either way, Thank you to Disney...and Knotts for your generosity. Like I said, it's not necessary, but is truly appreciated.

Robert

Malcon10t
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Just a suggestion:
2) Nobody in the above catagories does their job for these perks, and nobody expects them.

I know our Fire Department (in Northern California) sent 10 personnel and 2 fire engines to Southern California as did many other No. CA fire departments. It would be nice to extend the offer to those firefighters who also answered the call from up North when asked to respond to help.

Again, just my .02. Either way, Thank you to Disney...and Knotts for your generosity. Like I said, it's not necessary, but is truly appreciated.

Robert
I sent a message to Disney regarding how I feel about this. When we cam home from Disneyland, we followed a HUGE group of engines returning from SoCal to NorCal. It was great to see some of ours.
(http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Malcon10t/Modestofire.jpg)

jrsharp21
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I agree 100%. My father's department also sent firefighters and engines down to SoCal to help out also. When he learned that it was limited to SoCal first responders, he gave Disneyland a call. He was able to reach the media relations manager at Disneyland to try to let them know that there were emergency response teams from all over California and other states that helped fight the fires.

samkj
11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
My friend's husband went down with a crew from Northern CA for 12 days. He had almost no contact with his family due to the long days and poor cell coverage. Thanks for posting the link, I will be sending a letter to DIsney too. All who went to help deserve this special honor!

going2disneyAZ
11-09-2007, 07:23 AM
By best freind is a fire fighter in New Mexico and spent several weeks in the aid of Southern California. I also sent Disney an email. All the brave men and women that assisted in the tradgedy should be equally honored.

jrsharp21
11-09-2007, 07:47 AM
I also sent Disneyland an email.

I found the press release from 2003 when they extended this same discount. There were no zip code restrictions back in 2003. I sent Disneyland a copy of that press release as well.

DebT
11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Our county sent over 50 firefighters to So Cal. When I first saw the zip code restriction, I thought Disney is really trying to focus on the majority of personnel that were actively involved -the majority of No. Cal fire fighters were not sent to So Cal. However, what Disney probably doesn't realize is the Overtime and extended hours those guys who stayed home put in to allow us to send our guys south. The response really was statewide by all fire fighters.

jrsharp21
11-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I googled and found the press release from 2003. The offer in 2003 had no zip code restrictions at all.

mgg1234
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I called Guest Services today to talk to someone directly. My husband was part of the activation, but we live in Central California, outside the zip code designation. The person on the phone told me that we could bring a letter from his commander stating that he had participating in the fire activation, and they MIGHT extend the discount at the gate, but there were no guarantees. Then he said it was probably "doubtful" that they would accept it.

I sent off an email to Disneyland. Not all public safety personnel in SoCal worked the fires, and not all the personnel who worked were from SoCal. It appears to be just another Southern California discount this time. We were rather disappointed. We were able to take our kids for the 2003 discount, but not this time.

It's nice that they extended the discount to some, they didn't have to even do that, but just disappointing that many of the people who helped can't participate.

bloodnswash
11-13-2007, 05:11 AM
I called Guest Services today to talk to someone directly. My husband was part of the activation, but we live in Central California, outside the zip code designation. The person on the phone told me that we could bring a letter from his commander stating that he had participating in the fire activation, and they MIGHT extend the discount at the gate, but there were no guarantees. Then he said it was probably "doubtful" that they would accept it.

I sent off an email to Disneyland. Not all public safety personnel in SoCal worked the fires, and not all the personnel who worked were from SoCal. It appears to be just another Southern California discount this time. We were rather disappointed. We were able to take our kids for the 2003 discount, but not this time.

It's nice that they extended the discount to some, they didn't have to even do that, but just disappointing that many of the people who helped can't participate.

I agree with you 100%. Plenty from our area here in the Valley also went down to help in the fires. They should be included too. Non of this "might" stuff. This actually bothers me quite a bit. Disney wake up...take the blinders off.

Leofoenget
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Just a suggestion:

Robert

I am glad about one thing. First use MUST occur on same day of purchase. Thank goodness this will prohibit them from showing up on ebay. I had visions of massive amounts of "free tickets" being sold on ebay.

going2disneyAZ
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
I just got this email response from Diseny regarding personnel that provided support for the fires but are not in units within the original zip code allocation:

11/14/2007

Dear Mr. xxxxx:
Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND. Resort.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding our "Disney's Wildfire Heroes Salute" promotional offer.
?Disney?s Wildfire Heroes Salute? builds on a philosophy established by Walt Disney himself of aiding the members of our local community. It is fitting, therefore, that the DISNEYLAND. Resort provides an opportunity for emergency personnel who fought the fires within the Southern California region to relax with their families and friends.
We would be happy to extend our promotional offer to emergency personnel living outside the specified zip codes who have directly assisted with
the fire relief efforts. To ensure a person qualifies for this
promotion, we require that they provide official emergency worker identification at our Main Gate box offices and mention that they have contacted our office seeking clarification on our eligibility requirements. Please note, ?Disney?s Wildfire Heroes Salute? is offered November 13, 2007 through February 28, 2008 except for block-out dates of November 22-25; December 8-9; December 25 to January 6, 2008; and February 15-17, 2008. Additional information regarding ?Disney?s Wildfire Heroes Salute,? is available at www.disneyland.com/hero (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/www.disneyland.com/hero) or by calling (714) 781-7290.
Again, thank you for contacting us. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND. Resort soon and that our attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.
Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx
DISNEYLAND. Resort
Guest Communications

Received date: 11/9/07

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------
VISIT DATE = 0.0.0
Length of Stay: 0 Days
Detailed Comments:
DISNEYLAND. RESORT SALUTES HEROES OF WILDFIRES WITH FREE, THREE-DAY ADMISSION TO THEME PARKS You know there were a lot of firefighters that were not from Southern California that came to the aid of the region. Firefighters came from all over the US and you really should think about how to honor those brave men and women also.
Stephen Dixon [stephend@ecs-usa.com]

jrsharp21
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I received the same email. I applaud Disneyland for extending their offer out.

Malcon10t
11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I received the same email. I was underimpressed.

bloodnswash
11-15-2007, 05:23 AM
To ensure a person qualifies for this
promotion, we require that they provide official emergency worker identification at our Main Gate box offices and mention that they have contacted our office seeking clarification on our eligibility requirements.

Providing official emergency worker identification is no big deal. But the part about "and mention that they have contacted our office seeking clarification on our eligibility requirements" seems like there could be some problems when one arrives at the Main Gate box office. I could be wrong...I hope I am.

Malcon10t
11-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Providing official emergency worker identification is no big deal. But the part about "and mention that they have contacted our office seeking clarification on our eligibility requirements" seems like there could be some problems when one arrives at the Main Gate box office. I could be wrong...I hope I am.That would be my concern. They arrive there after driving 6-10 hours only to be told, "Sorry, you're from the wrong zip code." Adds insult to injury.

jrsharp21
11-15-2007, 08:41 AM
A CM on another board said that they were instructed to be very lenient at the ticket booth for this offer. So hopefully there won't be a lot of incidents of people out of the zip codes have trouble purchasing these tickets.

mgg1234
11-16-2007, 07:32 PM
The Guest Services CM I talked with told me we could try asking at the ticket booth, or bringing documentation from my husband's commander, but said it was "doubtful" they would take it. I'm kind of with the earlier post - not willing to try it only to find our ticket cost would be several hundred dollars higher for the five of us. I think without some kind of guarantee we won't try it. On top of sounding like it would be a hassle, I hate to feel like I am trying to get something we maybe don't deserve.

I emailed Disneyland last week and haven't received an email back at all.

oohykitten
11-17-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't understand why they can't have something that says if YOU worked with the fires, and have a letter from your dept you get the discount. The way it is now, and how I took it was...those that didn't help per say could get the discount, but not those outside of the zip code guidelines that had couldn't. Disneyland needs to rethink some stuff.

bloodnswash
11-17-2007, 05:40 AM
That would be my concern. They arrive there after driving 6-10 hours only to be told, "Sorry, you're from the wrong zip code." Adds insult to injury.

Exactly. And if you are told "NO", well, you are now stuck with paying full price for your park entrance. With the price of gas these days, it is definitely not a situation I would want to take a chance with. I would want to have a definite YES or NO before I got in my car to drive down to DL. Sad to say, but DL seems to be playing games with this one...and that is just wrong.

mgg1234, I don't blame you for not wanting to risk having to possibly shell out all that extra money. Since your husband fought in the Southern CA fires, imo, you do deserve the discount that is being offered.

Malcon10t
11-17-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't understand why they can't have something that says if YOU worked with the fires, and have a letter from your dept you get the discount. The way it is now, and how I took it was...those that didn't help per say could get the discount, but not those outside of the zip code guidelines that had couldn't. Disneyland needs to rethink some stuff.In our town, we sent 3 engines and 12 men (out of about 150). While those 12 were gone, others had to take over their shifts, losing their days off and taking time from their families. So more people helped out than just the ones who were actually at the fires.

Also, CHP moved officers from Northern CA to help out with looting issues and traffic diversion. Sorry, they are outside of the zip codes also...

PhiSigDuchessCV
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm wondering what the definition of rescue workers is. My father, who is a Ham (amatuer radio) is a member of the LA County Sheriffs Disaster Communications Services (LA DCS). The first night of the Malibu fire he was at the incident command post out in Malibu. He was there for 1 or 2 nights (can't remember).

Then he came home from Malibu and was sent up to the Canyon Country fire where he again provided communications assistance at incident command. Then he was sent over to the Saugus evacuation center to provide communications assistance.

This past week the California Office of Emergency Services contacted DCS and asked for assistance down in San Diego County. He spent almost 3 days in Jamul helping with communications.

The only id he has is a LA DCS volunteer badge. I wonder if that would work to get the passes.

mgg1234
11-19-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm wondering what the definition of rescue workers is. My father, who is a Ham (amatuer radio) is a member of the LA County Sheriffs Disaster Communications Services (LA DCS). The first night of the Malibu fire he was at the incident command post out in Malibu. He was there for 1 or 2 nights (can't remember).

Then he came home from Malibu and was sent up to the Canyon Country fire where he again provided communications assistance at incident command. Then he was sent over to the Saugus evacuation center to provide communications assistance.

This past week the California Office of Emergency Services contacted DCS and asked for assistance down in San Diego County. He spent almost 3 days in Jamul helping with communications.

The only id he has is a LA DCS volunteer badge. I wonder if that would work to get the passes.

Hmmm, dunno. My husband is a CHP officer who worked these fires and the 2003 fires, but we don't have the right zip code........