PDA

View Full Version : Innoventions what is the deal with the first floor?

Pages : [1] 2

padilla6710
10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
I went to DL yesterday and I was wondering if any of you knew why they have the first floor of innoventions closed off. What is going on down there is anything new being built?

Darkbeer
10-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Pretty sure it is closed (you have to use the exit ramp to both enter and exit the second floor) to allow the maintenance folks to repair the spinning part of the building, which hasn't been working for the last few weeks.

They do allow wheelchair folks access to the first level so they can use the elevator, you also enter using the normal wheelchair exit.

TTFN92
10-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Isn't the sponsorship being switched over to another company? Microsoft I think. If I remember correctly, it is supposed to be open the week before Thanksgiving.

DDDB
11-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I have always wondered about Innovations (ride?), what is it? Is it worth checkinig out, we never seem to get there once we see Space Mountian.:p

Jon
11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I can't speak for everyone on here, but everyone I know agrees it's just about the most worthless thing in the whole park. I'd rather sit through a show at the Tiki Room than walk through Innoventions. And that's saying something. :D

Mostly it's a singing terminator skeleton (voiced by Nathan Lane) telling you how swell and neato the world of tomorrow is going to be. For instance, in the future, they'll have... wait for it... skateboards with slightly larger wheels! Wow! And they'll have... refrigerators! Incredible! And this thing called the Interweb! And a "not-so-asim" ASIMO robot. And apparently everyone in the future will drive Autopia cars with lots of speakers but nowhere to sit (I really have no idea what that display is supposed to mean, other than being a big advertisement for Pioneer). It's all flash and no meaning. Innoventions is kind of like a super-sized fourth grade science fair; a fourth grade science fair that's been plastered with corporate logos.

I guess little kids might find something interesting in the "interactive" area, but I can't see why anyone would bring their kids to Disneyland just to have them sit inside a building and play video games.

Glass Slipper
11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I've never even been inside the place....since America Sings disappeared, that is. And I don't plan on it unless they bring it back! :)

hefferdude
11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I heard someone attempted the goat trick and fell over backwards.:p

mommy-san
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Is any thing new happening yet? Has the new sponsorship changed over?

Darkbeer
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Is any thing new happening yet? Has the new sponsorship changed over?
I had a chance to walk downstairs to access the wheelchair elevator yesterday.

The inner area was really ripped up, but you couldn't see much, as they placed refurb walls to create a hallway to the elevator.

It will be awhile before it reopens, but it looks like the downstairs area will be new, at least the inner core.

mommy-san
11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Think it will be done in oh, say, 68 days?

Darkbeer
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Think it will be done in oh, say, 68 days?

Doubt it, but you never know....

findingmickey
11-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I can't speak for everyone on here, but everyone I know agrees it's just about the most worthless thing in the whole park. I'd rather sit through a show at the Tiki Room than walk through Innoventions. And that's saying something. :D

hahaha! 100% agreed! :p

they should use that space to make a nice new attraction! :D

dawnid
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I've never even been inside the place....since America Sings disappeared, that is. And I don't plan on it unless they bring it back! :)

I second this sentiment, although I have been inside once. What a waste of space. I've heard if you're into pin trading this is the place to look because no one is in here.

Another Dimension
11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
ASIMO and Talk to Stitch in Innoventions are both quite cool and definitely worth checking out...

Some people might actually be surprised.

:eek:

Jon
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty much over robots that don't serve a purpose. It's the 21st Century; we should expect a bit more than that. Why do people find ASIMO so impressive? There's nothing that thing can do that your average 5-year-old kid couldn't do better, and 5-year-olds aren't impressive. Show me a robot that can fly into outer space to repair a satellite. Show me a robot that can perform unassisted heart surgery. Heck, show me a robot that can just cook my breakfast or wash my car. Otherwise, what's the point? To me, ASIMO comes off as nothing but a (literally) walking advertisement for Honda.

CV12Pirate
11-21-2007, 11:45 PM
I like Robbie the Robot of sci fi movies from 50' and 60's. They also used him in the TV show "Lost in Space" in the 60's.

jMom
11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
hey, don't be hating the a ride that can really loop the loop ;)

I've never been able to catch the Stich sow -- is it still going on?

And, from what I was told, AISMO was a big deal because it can go up an down stairs. Not only has this been a challenge for robots (and Daleks and R2D2), it was of interest to those trying to invent devices to help people who could no longer walk.

Baloo
11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
the lower level is being prepared for a new exibit which should last a couple years. After that the building will begin getting gutted as soon as sposnorships contracts expire to make way for a new REAL "e" ticket attraction

Another Dimension
11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Heck, show me a robot that can just cook my breakfast or wash my car. Otherwise, what's the point?

Oh yeah... because those simple, everyday things you can still do for yourself are far more important in the grand scheme than a robot that can actually carry Grandma up or down a flight of stairs or visually see that she may have fallen and then calling 911.

:rolleyes:

To me, ASIMO comes off as nothing but a (literally) walking advertisement for Honda.

Well... being as ASIMO at DL specifically performs daily in the middle of Blatant Sponsorshipland.... chances are, you may be correct.

Just remember... with no sponsorships, there wouldn't have ever been a Disneyland.

Don't date robots!!

Jon
11-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Fair enough - show me a robot that can carry somebody up a flight of stairs. It ain't ASIMO.

Another Dimension
11-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Unless you have or haven't seen ASIMO do it or been told it can't...
I would guess that you don't have any proof ASIMO can or can't.

Because that's one of the things it was designed for.

I would guess there are many liability reasons the robot doesn't attempt that sort of assistance on a Guest during the theme park presentation.

But I have an idea ASIMO could carry my Grandma up a flight of stairs... she isn't a full sized adult anymore.

;)

jMom
11-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Well by golly, you can just read about the NAI version on its website (http://asimo.honda.com/News.aspx) ...

Jon
11-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think Honda's own website is the most neutral and reliable source of information about ASIMO's capabilities. Take a look at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKPkL2oto0&feature=related) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Cp4tYFAK4) and tell me if you'd feel safe having it carry your grandmother up the stairs. Not mine, that's for sure.

The fact that anyone thinks ASIMO can carry someone up a flight of stairs is proof positive of the power of marketing.

:rolleyes:

AlbertaMinnie
11-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree that innoventions is my least favorite part of DLR....actually, it is the only attraction in the park that makes me feel sick! Seriously...I can ride the teacups a hundred times a day, but put me in the slow moving circle of innoventions and my head really starts to spin! With that said though....the kids do love to go spend some time in there on each visit. Not that we let them spend the entire day...but its a nice place for the two of them to bond, sit down for a bit and cool off on a hot day. They always come back to us, refreshed and ready to take on the park for the rest of our day! We all win with innoventions!

carolinakid
11-24-2007, 02:52 PM
ASIMO reminds them of the robot on the old "Gilligan's Island" episode that washed up (or landed) on the island? It sure does to me when I saw it! (btw, consider me an Innoventions non-appreciater (hater is too strong) in both DL & Epcot!) PS...jon, love your posts, boy!