PDA

View Full Version : Flashing necklaces, Annoying?

Pages : [1] 2

skyway man
10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't know about you, but I feel these new flashing necklaces that shine brighter than the Las Vegas strip are the most annoying nighttime items Disney sells. They ruin attractions that are supposed to be dark, and are just plain obnoxious. I know the kids like them, but what happened the the simple glowing necklaces of past? Stop the blindness!

tigger08
10-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Do they turn off? My nieces are going to Disneyland tonight and they would enjoy them but my brother will hate them if they don't have an off buttom exspecially for those dark rides.

itig
10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
They turn off -- we bought a couple for our boys and I was thankful for the off switch :)

Bolivar
10-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Not only do they turn off, but they have various settings for different flashing patterns.

cynthia312
10-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree. If there is to be no flash photography on dark rides, then there should be no flashing necklaces. Those who have them should be asked to turn them off by CMs.

Yeah I agree. Those are really annoying. I don't mind seeing them at night on Main St. or just anywhere while you're walking around the DLR. But if I see them ON while I'm on attractions, it is freaking annoying. My eyes were suffering on Indiana Jones and POTC. Thank god I've only experienced crazy mad flashing necklace lights twice.

But sometimes even if the CM tells them to turn it off, they won't. Or at least with my experience on POTC. maybe that person couldn't hear the CM on the intercom, or maybe they're just too into the whole pirate theme.

GreenDragon
10-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Not only do they turn off, but they have various settings for different flashing patterns.

Oh, great, now I want one! :rolleyes:

MammaSilva
10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
My issue with the new style of necklaces ...seizures. I can look at an attraction and know that we need to skip it due to strobe effects triggering a seizure, but when you walk into the foyer of the HM and there are several necklaces flashing in a strobe pattern and people don't think of the consequences to others it makes it hard....luckily so far I've never had anyone refuse to turn their necklaces off for her. I'm very polite and just explain that the strobe effect is dangerous to her and they happily suspend it til they are out in the park again.

DizMe
10-31-2007, 05:09 PM
My issue with the new style of necklaces ...seizures. I can look at an attraction and know that we need to skip it due to strobe effects triggering a seizure, but when you walk into the foyer of the HM and there are several necklaces flashing in a strobe pattern and people don't think of the consequences to others it makes it hard....luckily so far I've never had anyone refuse to turn their necklaces off for her. I'm very polite and just explain that the strobe effect is dangerous to her and they happily suspend it til they are out in the park again.

Strobe/flashing lights are a BIG migraine trigger for me. The necklaces sound fun, but not for me!! Nothing like a migraine to ruin Disney fun. Luckily, I have Imitrex injections, but you know how much that stuff costs????

Anyway, I'm not sure what the answer is. I hate to spoil it for others but those necklaces have a lot of potential negatives for many people, whether it's a health issue or simply the nuisance factor.

UsBurchs
11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
My son wears his around the house all the time. It really is quite annoying. However, it's cute when he puts on his Electric Light Parade music and marches around pretending to be the parade - spinning in circles like the turtles and bugs. He loves it and it's hard to deny that kid anything when he's so darn cute. ugh - the power he has! ;)

Leofoenget
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I hate anything that blinks off and on. Christmas lights eeek bugs me

Katran
11-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree. If there is to be no flash photography on dark rides, then there should be no flashing necklaces. Those who have them should be asked to turn them off by CMs.

I love them for my kids while walking around the park at night. But I agree that they should be turned off on dark rides. In fact, I didn't even have to tell my kids to turn them off. They didn't want them on because the flashing lights interfered with their ability to see in the ride.

ShirleyFilms
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I like the fast flashing necklace things. They are fun and sci-fi-esque. Certainly, folkes should turn them off in dark rides, but I think they make Disneyland even cooler at night.

My 2 cents.

MrsPooh
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Strobe/flashing lights are a BIG migraine trigger for me.

That's me too. Even my guys know that, and they try to protect me from those kinds of lights.

I haven't seen the necklaces, but I have to say they gotta be an improvement over the pacifiers that do the same thing. At our local roller rink, the kids buy those. A teenager looks stupid chewing on a strobe flashing binky.

Puhleeze. :rolleyes:

aznewsboy
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I find them annoying too & I'm a parent! I have brought regular glowstick necklaces in the past but usually save it for Downtown Disney-never on a ride. Two reason we don't buy them:
1. They are annoying
2. We are cheap!

Wobble
11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Those do sound annoying! I would tell a child to turn it off in a ride if no one else told them too - blinking lights normally don't make me develop migraines, but if it's really dark and i see something blinking (even a blinker on a car) my eye sight can get really messed up and I get a migraine.

And just a random note about those blinking pacifiers - they were/are a part of rave drug culture (ravers started using them so that they didn't bite their tongues when they were at raves and on ecstasy) and they have leaked into mainstream culture and are really popular with middle schoolers. Kind of depressing, IMO.

Malcon10t
11-03-2007, 11:30 AM
We use the necklaces on the dogs. I feel for toddlers, as people don't look down when they walk and the dogs don't get noticed. With the flashing necklaces on, people see them. We turn them off on the rides, but not in the lines (we won't get into how many times the dogs have been stepped on in POTC and HM, and we use the HA entrances!)

MammaSilva
11-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't the simple glow necklaces work as well? I can appreciate the thought process and agree with it...we use them on her wheel chair often since for some reason people don't look down and run into her often.

bag3lbit3s
11-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Wouldn't the simple glow necklaces work as well? I can appreciate the thought process and agree with it...we use them on her wheel chair often since for some reason people don't look down and run into her often.
I completely understand the wheelchair thing with people running into them. Some people are completely rude to others in wheel chairs. My girlfriend has a torn meniscus so some days she just can't walk without being in pain. We usually we get her a wheelchair when it's that bad. We usually form a circle around her chair because people usually end up walking into her or hitting her. I don't mind the flashing necklaces at all as long as it's outside of the ride. It's very annoying especially on rides at night or dark rides like haunted, or potc when people have them flashing and it somewhat ruins the ride for others. I think CM's should have them turn them off as do they not allow flashes from cameras. It's just common courtesy.

Malcon10t
11-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't the simple glow necklaces work as well? I can appreciate the thought process and agree with it...we use them on her wheel chair often since for some reason people don't look down and run into her often.We used those until the flashing necklaces. But, while the glow sticks help, they were no where near as effective as the flashing necklaces. If we are staying in place though (ie sitting for a parade/fireworks, at dinner, on the train) the lights get turned off. Only on while we are in motion.

MammaSilva
11-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Well I'm glad it helps keep the pups safe...

Goldnoel022
11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Heck yeah! Those thing are WAY ANNOYING during rides! You know what's more annoying? When people freakin take pics throughout a whole ride! Like one time I was riding pirates of the Caribbean, and these people were taking FLASH PICTURES throughout the whole ride. I was so mad that at the end of the ride i started yelling at the people when we were going up the final hill. I told them in a very loud tone that they needed to stop taking pictures. And of course they kept going! I t bugs me sooooooooooo bad!

evrythngwmn
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes they are annoying and the hats with the flashing lights are equally as annoying.

yohomama212
11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I've been on POTC a few times and boarded a boat with someone wearing one of the flashing necklaces. Each time, a CM asks them to turn it off and offers to assist if they can't figure out how to do it themselves. It's all very polite and I appreciate their effort! Most times the guest is kind enough to keep it off for the duration of the ride, but there's always that one!

IllusionOfLife
11-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I definitely think it should be a standing rule; no flashing devices in attractions. It be easy that way to just cover all of those annoying things that distract from the quality of the attractions. I mean, of course you'll have your normal brand of idiots who won't comply with the rules but by having a rule, at least some people will stop contributing to the problem.

–SolarSurfer

MickeyDogMom
11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
In defense of the flashy lights I think they're great...

for responsible people who turn the DARN lights OFF!!! I have three for my dogs. They're easy to use. Unlike the glow rings they don't pop off (I tape the clasp shut), they work for more than one day, they don't get buried in my pups fur, they turn OFF, and they flash so people look (sometimes). I also wear one. Plus if you keep the reciept DL will replace it when it breaks. So I spend five bucks rather than the 3$ a day for the glow rings.

And well... let's just say... I'll do most anything to protect my dogs from getting kicked or stepped on. If I had a small child he/she would be also forced to wear the rings at night.