PDA

View Full Version : New Halloween antenna balls

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
07-28-2002, 11:12 PM
At the resort today, we noticed that they have new Halloween antenna balls. It's an orange pumpkin with Mickey ears, and Mickey's face, with the eyes in the shape of triangles. They're really cute - we picked up a couple.

They also have Halloween mini-plush. The ones we picked up were Mickey dressed as Captain Hook and Minnie dressed as Cruella.

I also noticed that World of Disney has Disneyland Halloween-themed t-shirts and sweatshirts, for kids and adults. They were pretty neat.

The adult costumes I thought were weird.

My only question is why Halloween is starting so early this year...

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

That IS really bizarre. It'd be like putting out Christmas stuff at the end of September... :confused:

Darkbeer
07-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Here are some photos of the DCA store already decorated in all its splendor....

http://www.disneygeek.net/updates/2002_07_26_update/disneyland_update.php?page_id=20

Yep, tis the season......:rolleyes:

Nigel2
07-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Here are some photos of the DCA store already decorated in all its splendor....

http://www.disneygeek.net/updates/2002_07_26_update/disneyland_update.php?page_id=20

Yep, tis the season......:rolleyes:
Yeah, Michales is decorated already (Had to pick a friend up). And odds are Bed Bath and beyond should have it's Chaunaka stuff out in about ohhhh... a month with some Christmas stuff.

madamemortem
07-29-2002, 02:37 AM
Halloween doesnt start early enough for me!! I think I will pick up a couple of the antenna balls myself!

MonorailMan
07-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Here, (http://www.disneygeek.net/updates/2002_07_26_update/DSC00352.JPG) Finally a Picture of the Sorcecer Mickey adult costume! While the robe part looks good, I think they could have done better with the gold cord part. (I'll still prob. buy it, then my costume will be all "Offical") :)

Tink
07-29-2002, 08:00 AM
I have to admit that I always start planning Halloween in July because Halloween is my favorite holiday-type day.

This being the case, I was really happy to see the store decor at DTD's Disney store. Unfortunately I missed the antenna balls...Oh well just another excuse to go I suppose.:D

roberts1398
07-29-2002, 08:04 AM
Sounds good to me! We're going the last weekend in Sept., and I look forward to SOME holiday being celebrated there (I wish I could make it X-Mas, but oh well!!!!)

mousey_girl
07-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Here, (http://www.disneygeek.net/updates/2002_07_26_update/DSC00352.JPG) Finally a Picture of the Sorcecer Mickey adult costume! While the robe part looks good, I think they could have done better with the gold cord part. (I'll still prob. buy it, then my costume will be all "Offical") :)

You could always go to a fabric store and buy some gold drapery cord...

MonorailMan
07-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by mousey_girl

You could always go to a fabric store and buy some gold drapery cord...

But then it wouldn't be an "Official Disney" costume. :)

outlaw8
07-29-2002, 09:43 AM
Too far for me to go get one:crying:
But if someone is nice and can send one...:D

Ghoulish Delight
07-29-2002, 09:57 AM
I cut Disney some slack for starting Holliday merchandising early at the parks. Most people only get there once in a year, so they don't care what time of year it is. If they want something Disney for Halloween, then they want to be able to buy it, even if it's no quite October yet. Same with Christmas (which is why they are able to keep an ornament shop open year round). I also cut places like Michael's slack. People who are shopping at Michael's for halloween stuff are crafty type people, ones who will spend a month or so creating their costumes and/or decorations by hand from materials. So they've got to start early.

Malls are another story. You can pick up stuff at the mall at any time, instantly. There is no need to start Halloween in August of Christmas in October. These two are creeping earlier and earlier every year. Bleh.

Not Afraid
07-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by outlaw8
Too far for me to go get one:crying:
But if someone is nice and can send one...:D

Mouseshoppe has them. Go here (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/) .

They are very cute, I highly recommend them.

Nigel2
07-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I cut Disney some slack for starting Holliday merchandising early at the parks. Most people only get there once in a year, so they don't care what time of year it is. If they want something Disney for Halloween, then they want to be able to buy it, even if it's no quite October yet. Same with Christmas (which is why they are able to keep an ornament shop open year round). I also cut places like Michael's slack. People who are shopping at Michael's for halloween stuff are crafty type people, ones who will spend a month or so creating their costumes and/or decorations by hand from materials. So they've got to start early.

Yeah, I don't really mind that places like Michales and Disneyland do it early (esp disney since they have to set up a whole lot of stuff and want to at least get some use out of it for the amount of time it took to get ready and in place) but when stores like Bed Bath and Beyond are putting out Winter Holiday items (not crafts) then that is going too far.
:)

kranders
07-30-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

Mouseshoppe has them. Go here (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/) .

They are very cute, I highly recommend them.
Now you did it! :) I showed my wife the picture of them on mouseshoppe and she didn't log off until I was $81 poorer.:D
Yikes!!!

jason
07-30-2002, 06:49 AM

i think you are all mistaken ..... these products are for next year's Halloween !!!

wow !! 15 posts and nobody is blaming DCA for this !!

AVP
07-30-2002, 08:23 AM
In my experience, Disneyland really isn't all that early for the season, assuming they are running their merchandise program like any other retail venture.

I remember my very first year in retail, when I called my buyer to tell her that we had "mistakenly" received an order of suede boots in July. (It was 100 degrees, we were selling sandals - what's with the suede boots?) She just laughed and told me that retail was always 3-6 months ahead of the real calendar.

That same year, I remember being is shock when I read the store planning calendar - the deadline for installing the Christmas decorations was October 4th.

After spending 10 years in retail stores, I got used to it. Back to School starts three weeks after school lets out for the summer, Fall starts in July, Christmas starts in October, and spring starts the day after winter inventory.

And see, it's still not DCAs fault!

AVP

stinkerbell
07-30-2002, 08:34 AM
As an avid shopper/spender/consumer/mom, I appreciate Halloween creeping backwards into July and back-to-school creeping into June. (And I agree with GD that DLR should be well ahead, because many people do only make it to DL once a year, if that--I bought a lot of Christmas stuff at the resort last year in early October.) I like to plan, and so do my kids. I hate leaving things til the last minute. I like that retail works this way, because usually when I want something, others do too. I like to have it before it's gone.

My kids already have their entire Halloween wardrobes planned down to the socks. I'm stressing out because I haven't gone to Wal-Mart for Courtney's pencils, glue, etc. It's hereditary.

Heading to MouseShoppe now.......I might buy the antennae ball now, but it won't be displayed until Oct. 1. :) Thanks for the heads up!

kennyhues
07-30-2002, 08:48 AM
Stinkerbell, your sig block is wonderful.

"Hm hm hm. . . . Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." -Yoda

bluepearl
07-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Those Halloween antenna balls slightly frighten me. :lol: The first time I saw them was when a guest was purchasing one, and I looked at it kinda funny. They look all smoshed to me! I think it'll be something I'll learn to like. ;)

And as for the costumes....aaaahhhhh! : pulls hair out: I've been scheduled for several runner shifts that are exclusively costume shifts. I have to organize, count, hang, and pick costume lists. Those Sorcerer ones are heavy! It's too bad they're not having an adult Mulan or Jessie one. I wanted to be Jessie for Halloween.

AVP
07-30-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl
It's too bad they're not having an adult Mulan or Jessie one. I wanted to be Jessie for Halloween.

Yeah, but did you see the adult Jasmine costume???????? Bare midrif and all?????? Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!

AVP

Nigel2
07-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
As an avid shopper/spender/consumer/mom, I appreciate Halloween creeping backwards into July and back-to-school creeping into June. (And I agree with GD that DLR should be well ahead, because many people do only make it to DL once a year, if that--I bought a lot of Christmas stuff at the resort last year in early October.) I like to plan, and so do my kids. I hate leaving things til the last minute. I like that retail works this way, because usually when I want something, others do too. I like to have it before it's gone.

Well, at least arround here, it seems that the reason back to school ads are showing up earlier and earlier is because they want to keep their buffer with the start of the school years (which keep getting sooner and sooner since I think they are trying to go year round). But I am glad I am out of all of that now.:D

cemeinke
07-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by AVP

Yeah, but did you see the adult Jasmine costume???????? Bare midrif and all?????? Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!

AVP

Really, It's about time ;)

bluepearl
07-31-2002, 03:39 AM
Yes, I've seen those Jasmine costumes! I've been throwing around ideas with one of my close friends at work (Mulan/Shang Lee, Jessie/Woody, Aurora/Philip), and he said that we could be Aladdin and Jasmine. I laughed and said I refuse to wear anything with a bare midriff! :eek: And one of the general leads told me that if we wanted to get really technical, Aladdin actually doesn't wear a shirt underneath his vest. I believe we've put that suggestion in the rejected ideas box.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Wow, that's a lot of punctuation marks. You do know that some people like to show their midriffs, right? What's wrong with a costume that looks like the real thing? Now if they sell bare midriff ones in children's sizes, THAT'S when I'll break out the exclamation points. :D

I think I'd look really, really good in a Jasmine costume.....maybe one day when I have money to burn. :rolleyes:

As long as I don't get one of those terrible fake tail Ariel costumes, or what I think of as the "chaste Tink outfit". Hey look, I'm Tinkerbell, except my dress is all poofy and looks nothing like the real thing! I guess that's better than having little kids in a legit Tink outfit, but still.....