PDA

View Full Version : I guess Country Bears won't be back at Dl any time soon

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
07-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Weekend Box Office estimates:

The Country Bears

Gross: $5,210,000 (compare to Austin Powers $71 million same weekend)
Screens: 2,553
Per screen average: $2,041
To date: $5,210,000

A poor showing, even for a family picture. Power Puff Girls and Arnold did better on their openings.

I guess getting booted out of their home theatre was just a taste of what life would be like on the road... all Pooh.

Maybe it's time to go back to Mineral King (or DCA at least) and lick their wounds.

Disney Nick
07-28-2002, 09:23 AM
1) The box office numbers won't be out til tomorrow.
2) You are using an early estimate, which I've found to be very unreliable.
3) Estimates I've seen are in the $7-10 million range.

Wait until monday when we get the numbers from the studios. Even if CB only hits $7 million this weekend, I think they can still pull out a fairly successful box office run, but we will have to wait and see.

Oh ya, and I may be wrong, but this belongs in another forum I think.. (moderators??).

Gemini Cricket
07-28-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Oh ya, and I may be wrong, but this belongs in another forum I think.. (moderators??).
I don't know. The issue merlinjones is bringing up is whether Country Bears will return to DLR because of the movie. (We know the answer...) So it's a toss up.
I think Bears will return to DCA with a live stage show and that's it. I don't think the bears'll be back as they were. It's a shame to see all those animatronic masterpieces gone to waste.
:)

sydney
07-28-2002, 10:22 AM
so given the choice of not seeing the bears back at all versus having them join the Grizzly River Run at DCA as has been hinted at in the past, which would you pick? I'd see this as a chance to overlay the GRR (if done tastefully), and maybe add a soundtrack... something I think it could use.

Thoughts?

merlinjones
07-28-2002, 10:39 AM
>>3) Estimates I've seen are in the $7-10 million range.>>

Sorry... These are the current Studio estimates as of Sunday AM (yes, they could change Monday, not necessarily higher):

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2002/30.htm

Not that it thrills me any. I would like to see Marc Davis' masterwork back at Disneyland where it belongs (a good reason for this thread to be here where it all began). But money is what talks down there...

I doubt it was a great publicity stunt for them to have the movie reviewed constantly as based on the "closed Disneyland attraction". Synergy?... sheesh!

As for the possibility of the bears coming to Grizzly River Rapids - - I agree that this would likely be the best use of them at DLR at the current time. DCA needs more Disney-theming, and the ride certainly needs something... and it's a perfect locale for the bears.

But these must be the Marc Davis designed original bears that return to the park and not the ugly Muppets or anything realistic. Marc's designs were beautiful and totally Disney. I would like to see them at GRR (the music would help too).

In that context (the ride), I think they still have life left in them as a themed attraction... a Disneyland/WDW original.

Not Afraid
07-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by sydney
so given the choice of not seeing the bears back at all versus having them join the Grizzly River Run at DCA as has been hinted at in the past, which would you pick? I'd see this as a chance to overlay the GRR (if done tastefully), and maybe add a soundtrack... something I think it could use.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry, but if I'm tooling down GRR and suddenly see Big Al hiding out in a cave (complete with flannel shirt and guitar) I believe I will immediately start throwing up. Just my opinion. CB as a stage show in the area - fine. Part of GRR, please, no.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I'm sorry, but if I'm tooling down GRR and suddenly see Big Al hiding out in a cave (complete with flannel shirt and guitar) I believe I will immediately start throwing up. Just my opinion. CB as a stage show in the area - fine. Part of GRR, please, no.
You hit that one on the nose, NA! Although I will say again, if they move the bears to DCA, they would have to drop their "Country" moniker and their southern accents/attitude/music. This is California Adventure, after all. They'd have to redo the idea from the ground up for it to make any sense. I don't know what they'd come up with.

merlinjones
07-28-2002, 12:47 PM
>>Although I will say again, if they move the bears to DCA, they would have to drop their "Country" moniker and their southern accents/attitude/music. This is California Adventure, after all. They'd have to redo the idea from the ground up for it to make any sense. I don't know what they'd come up with.<<

Not at all. You have obviously never travelled inland in California. California is not just urban and new-age.

Bakersfield is a center of Country Music recording, home of Buck Owens and other Country giants. (Disney connection: Annette recorded her country album there!). Ever been to Riverside, or any place in the Inland Empire? Same for the farming/rodeo centric San Joaquin Valley.

Besides, the Bears were created for a California attraction in the Mineral King National Park! I say give them California folk rock and no one will need a change of name.

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 12:48 PM
They'd prolly say they're on their California vacation or something ridiculously stupid like that. Even if you explain away the music, how do you explain away the accents?

I'm glad The Country Bears tanked, because perhaps it means they'll jettison their plans to do the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean movies. As far as the bears returning to the DLR resort, frankly, I don't care one way or the other. I only went when Morrigoon dragged me in there anyway.

Gemini Cricket
07-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by sydney

Thoughts?
I thought I read an article somewhere on MousePlanet that said someone saw Imagineers measuring areas of GRR to possibly add the Bears there. Does anyone else remember this?

If they added the bears to GRR: I have mixed feelings. It would be great to see them again somewhere at DLR. However, they probably wouldn't feature them as prominently as they should be. I mean, you'd see them as you're being whooshed quickly down the stream, maybe not even pointing their way etc... Yikes.

It's a toss up.
:(

Matterhorn
07-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Adding the bears to GGR...would it really help DCA? I'm not sure. The show would undoubtedly change for the worse since most props and bears have been halued off site. Plus they would make some sort of crappy tie-in, like "The Country Bears Visit CA". Ug.

mrfantasmic
07-28-2002, 05:34 PM
The movie of POTC is a big-budget film from Jerry Bruckheimer (Pearl Harbor)
The following is a blurb from Greg's Previews

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)

Release Date: Summer, 2003 (Disney is aiming for this to be one of their big summer "tentpoles"; a "tentpole" is a movie that is expected to be so popular that a studio can build a whole season around one or two)

Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures

Production Company: Jerry Bruckheimer Pictures (Con Air, Bad Boys 2, Pearl Harbor)

Cast: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush (in talks) (Captain Blackheart); other cast not announced yet.

Director: Gore Verbinski (Mouse Hunt, The Mexican; his latest before this is the horror remake, The Ring)

Screenwriter: Jay Wolpert (The Count of Monte Cristo) (first draft); rewrite by Stuart Beattie (wrote two Australian films, Joey, about a kangaroo, and Kick, about soccer; also has Collateral in development); rewrite by Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott (writing team of The Road to El Dorado and 1989's Little Monsters; also cowrote Shrek)

All Material from Yahoo! Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com)
Copyright © 2002 Yahoo! (http://www.yahoo.com) Inc. All rights reserved (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/).

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 05:57 PM
They forgot to sign Patrick Stewart as Carlos, Nathan Lane as "the redhead" and Michael Jackson as the talking skull!

Seriously though, I hope these movies will be scrapped. Gore Verbinski? No thanks.

Morrigoon
07-28-2002, 06:47 PM
I think DCA needs another show like I need a hole in the head, but given the quality of CBJ vs those stupid movies they're calling attractions these days, I think DCA could benefit from having the CBJ playhouse move in. And just think Hyperboy: then I can drag you in there some more!

Let's just hope if they do, they don't pull some bad 70's semi-rock songs about California and add that in there. The Vacation hoedown would fit quite well. Consider this: The original show is in Florida, Florida is in the south, which explains the southern accents (yes, some of them are downright southern). So the Country Bears go on vacation, where do they go? California! And they already have "California Bears" in that show. No redesign necessary! Hey, they should replace the winery with a larger building housing this!

merlinjones
07-29-2002, 08:17 AM
From LA Times: >>Making an OK debut in 2,553 theaters was "Country Bears," Disney's attempt to adapt a theme park ride for the big screen. The film's kiddie appeal ensured $5.2-million returns in the first three days of its run, with a per-theater average of $2,042. Studio sources estimated Sunday that the modest picture, which was made for roughly $20 million, would recoup expenses.<<

"Roughly" $20 million? Pretty "rough" spin. There is no way that movie only cost $20 million with all those costumes and makeup efx, original music recordings, etc!

Hyperboy
07-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
And just think Hyperboy: then I can drag you in there some more!

Please, spare me. Disneyland needs to think of something original to do rather than bring back the stale old Country Bears, but under current management, "original/new" and "crappy" are almost interchangeable.

The Country Bears at the DLR are dead and buried. Sorry you liked them and had to see them go -- but of course, the way must be paved for that OTHER bear that nobody except 3 year olds really seem to like. Remember, Pooh sells merchandise and the Country Bears don't. They can't even sell a movie. 5 million opening weekend on over 2,000 screens is really pathetic.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Personally, I'm planning on seeing the ORIGINAL CBJ this November (something I didn't have time to do in November of 2000). I miss the original. I think it was the best of the three bear shows. On the other hand, except for the sound FX gags with Rufus, I really didn't care for "Vacation Hoedown" at all.

As far as I'm concerned, replacing "Vacation Hoedown" with a Winnie the Pooh ride is no great loss. Pooh is just replacing, er, another kind of . . . . ;)

If a new Bear show turns up in DCA, as long as it's not VH, I'll probably go see it. Maybe even if it is VH. But I'd rather it were another bear show. ANY other bear show but VH.

Bill Catherall
07-29-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Personally, I'm planning on seeing the ORIGINAL CBJ this November
Uhh? Where?

Gemini Cricket
07-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Uhh? Where?
Magic Kingdom, WDW...

hbquikcomjamesl
07-29-2002, 02:52 PM
Of course. Where else?

JeffG
07-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket

Magic Kingdom, WDW...

Let's also not forget that the Walt Disney World version is not only the original show, but is also the original of the attraction. "Country Bear Jamboree" was a show that debuted originally at WDW, not at Disneyland.

-Jeff

Disney Nick
07-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Wow this movie tanked. $5.3 million in the opening weekend...

tinkfreak
07-29-2002, 03:03 PM
I think he maens the original version of the show.

disneyhead
07-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Since it appears that the "Powerpuff Girls" beat the pants off of "The Country Bears", the bears have a better chance at getting a guest spot on "Robot Wars" than being in a Disney park.

gautry
07-29-2002, 04:01 PM
They did not use the Bears that were in the attraction. Thats why alot of people did not go see it. For instance where is teddi beara in the movie. The who is cubbie