PDA

View Full Version : So my SIL heard a rumor...

lauramaynot
10-29-2007, 07:37 AM
that DL was closing for five years...WTH? This guy told her they were redoing all of disneyland and it will have new themeing and possibly a new name :rolleyes: I had to laugh because the thought that they would drastically change DL and rename it after 52 successful years is absolutely crazy...I told her someone was confusing the DCA improvements, which are supposed to last five years and that there would probably be closures inside the parks but there is no way they could possibly close completely because someone has to PAY for the additions/improvements.

I know that people commonly confuse DCA as Disneyland and don't understand that they are two different parks but it irks me that this person was going around so uninformed and spreading rumors...BTW this was a stranger that was evesdropping on my SIL's conversation with her aunt at Calico in Yermo Ca...so if they are at calico I would assume that they are from so. cal since calico is such a hole in the wall place...

adriennek
10-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I know that people commonly confuse DCA as Disneyland and don't understand that they are two different parks but it irks me that this person was going around so uninformed and spreading rumors...BTW this was a stranger that was evesdropping on my SIL's conversation with her aunt at Calico in Yermo Ca...so if they are at calico I would assume that they are from so. cal since calico is such a hole in the wall place...

I wouldn't assume they're locals. Calico is a tourist spot.

And he most likely didn't know he was spreading misinformation. He probably, like you said, just misunderstood the news reports about DCA.

I think it's funny that he believed it but people who don't know a lot about Disneyland believe what they hear or they think they here. I posted here last week when my relatives were telling people that Disneyland was closed because of the fires in the area. Disneyland doesn't close, lol. But I can see why people who don't pay attention to Disney as much as we do might believe it.

Adrienne

codewoman
10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
My sister was asking me just this weekend when they were going to close California Adventure. I explained to her that they wouldn't -- they'd stay open during the construction. Things would just be blocked off piecemeal to allow for the changes to be made.

Hmmmm, media not getting the message out too clearly???

olegc
10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
My sister was asking me just this weekend when they were going to close California Adventure. I explained to her that they wouldn't -- they'd stay open during the construction. Things would just be blocked off piecemeal to allow for the changes to be made.

Hmmmm, media not getting the message out too clearly???

that's not it. The media has gotten the message out (even the fact that prices would not be lowered even though the park was under construction).

The issue here is that IMHO most folks get their information word of mouth - instead of trying to read it on news/information web sites. They would rather have info in a chat room (like this one) and consider it "real" than any news release of press information. In fact - a recent study said that, of those polled, the majority of people in the 20-34 age group received much of their "national news" from late night talk shows like Leno, Letterman, Daily show, etc.

gotta love America. We've taken USA Today one better. just give me your opinion and I will consider it fact.

princessy777
10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
It's just like everyone believes all of So. Cal. is on fire because the way the national news is portraying it. I live in San Diego and had to laugh. The fires were very serious but calling it Armageddon?! hmm? I guess in that case you could believe Disneyland to be closed.

jrad32
10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
The real issue is that people are dumb. People read and view news stories through their own perspectives. It can be clearly reported, but people sometimes read what they want to read or hear what they want to hear. As a former newspaper reporter I can tell you that I got a number of calls from people who would say a story I had written said something that it didn't say or even imply. It was in how they read it. When I read it back to them some got it, and others continued to rant.

Don't get me wrong, things are also often misreported. I know work in public relations and deal with media everyday. I often have to have them correct mistakes they make in their reporting.

DisneyFamilyOf6
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Good let people think they're closing then it won't be so busy for us.

mistofviolets
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
It's just like everyone believes all of So. Cal. is on fire because the way the national news is portraying it. I live in San Diego and had to laugh. The fires were very serious but calling it Armageddon?! hmm? I guess in that case you could believe Disneyland to be closed.

Oh, the rest of the country doesn't think it's just So Cal. There have been people checking on the northern californians too. I mean, that fire might cross SF bay and hit Redding...(Kidding, but seriously, people are either not good with geography or not paying attention)

DaDuckFan1955
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
It would not be profitable for any theme park to close down completely for even a month or so. These people even thinking such things truly deserve the dumb and dumber award...:p

Leap for Joy
10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
These rumors are amazingly widespread, and grow more outrageous each day. My students have been coming up to me in droves to ask me what my DH and I will do with our time when DLR closes for five years!