PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed For U.K. Friends

Berry Princess
07-26-2002, 06:42 PM
I have a friend in the U.K. and her husband would like to bring the family to Disneyland and such for their next vacation. There is 2 adults and like 6 kids coming. They need help with finding a place for a decent rate to stay at for about 2 weeks. They want it in or close to Los Angeles. I don't know of any good websites for vacation packages so I figured maybe I could get some help from you guys. They usually go to WDW but her husband would rather come to Cali instead and go to Disneyland and all the stuff around here. They have looked at places around Disneyland but can't seem to find something in their price range. It would be around Christmas time too. Thanks for any help.

Lani
07-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Berry Princess -- your friends can start by going to our Travel (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mp/travel.htm) section of MousePlanet to look at listings for hotels. They can augment their search by reading our still-young Reviews (http://www.mouseplanet.com/reviews) section. That might give them a slightly better idea of what sorts of places are available here. Our Travel section has both book-your-own options as well as a full-service travel agency.

You mentioned that they are interested in staying in Los Angeles -- the city of L.A. is humongous and spread out over a very large area. Do they want to visit L.A. as part of a trip to Disneyland, or do you mean that they want to stay near the park, in Anaheim? Technically, the city of Anaheim is in Orange County, and not even in Los Angeles County.

To be honest, you are asking MousePadders to do the work that a travel agent gets paid to do. Since they are visiting from overseas, I strongly urge you to recommend that they talk to a British travel agent, not an American one. Their best bet is to find a local travel agent in England who specializes in trips to the U.S., and particularly California. That way if they have questions they can contact their agent easily.

adriennek
07-26-2002, 10:10 PM
You know, I just have to take the chance to plug travel agents for a minute, here, please.

We recently went on a family vacation in Northern California. For five of our nights, we stayed with friends (and yes, we're still friends!) The rest of our trip, I booked our motels through my travel agent.

First of all, she was able to get me a very reasonable rate on a three-diamond motel with two queen beds and a fireplace during a weekend that I couldn't get anything better than $120 for 2 double beds at a 2 diamond motel!!!

In another city, she found me a very nice hotel that normally I would never have even considered. Not only did she get me a very good rate there, but they upgraded us to a 2-bedroom suite for FREE.

The rates we had everywhere were very good, maybe not as great as I COULD get with Priceline but it was really easy for me to make the arrangements. And beyond that, here's my theory: if I made my own arrangements and had a crappy time, who am I going to tell? My friends who may never even go to that city or may not remember my comments. At most, they may lose a couple of possible clients.

But if I have a bad or disappointing experience and tell my travel agent, she's going to make a note and tell other people to go there. If I come home and say, "That hotel you found me was beautiful plus they upgraded us to a two-bedroom suite and were so friendly!" my travel agent is going to tell other clients and book them there, too.

I've seen this happen already: my mom booked at short package for Hearst Castle from an agent who had satisfied clients just go there. And I'm sure that these hotels know it.

I think that there are distinct advantages, even in today's Internet dominated marketplace.

Adrienne K

Andrew
07-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
The rest of our trip, I booked our motels through my travel agent.

First of all, she was able to get me a very reasonable rate on a three-diamond motel with two queen beds and a fireplace during a weekend that I couldn't get anything better than $120 for 2 double beds at a 2 diamond motel!!!

In another city, she found me a very nice hotel that normally I would never have even considered. Not only did she get me a very good rate there, but they upgraded us to a 2-bedroom suite for FREE.

Wow, you must have a great travel agent! I'll have to look her up next time I need a hotel or something.

Berry Princess
07-26-2002, 10:33 PM
First I know how big L.A. is since I was born and raised in that county. I now live in Orange County so I know what is where but I was hoping for suggestions on where they can look on the net. That was all. Not asking anyone to do the work or anything. They already talked to their travel agent they use when they go to WDW but she was quoting alot more then they could afford. They have been trying to do searches online themselves but I don't travel so I don't know of sites that can really give that info. I was hoping someone would have some good sites that give the best rates for hotels or whatever. So thanks. I always point people over to this site for info on hotels and such for Disneyland. Thanks thou.

pixiepal
07-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Lani

To be honest, you are asking MousePadders to do the work that a travel agent gets paid to do. Since they are visiting from overseas, I strongly urge you to recommend that they talk to a British travel agent, not an American one. Their best bet is to find a local travel agent in England who specializes in trips to the U.S., and particularly California. That way if they have questions they can contact their agent easily.

I don't think Berry Princess expected anyone here to put on their "travel agent" cap and plan the entire trip...she merely asked for WEBSITES that she might pass on to her friends to help them out a bit....
BP, you may want to have them try expedia.com or orbitz.com. I have had great luck with orbitz, and have heard good stuff about expedia.

JBKMC
07-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Just have them use Priceline.com and with your vast knowledge of the LA/Disneyland area they can zoom in on a good place at a great rate. Perhaps a stay of several days in Orange Cty and then a few days in Ventura and perhaps a cpl days in someother fine area will cap off their great trip.

Also through Priceline they can bid on up to 4 rooms, and with 2 adults and perhaps 6 kids that might be what is needed.

Just remember once you bid on Priceline, its locked in and its yours!

Berry Princess
07-29-2002, 07:34 AM
Thank you pixiepal & JBKMC! All I wanted was websites to give them to help them with their search. I think it could be a good idea for them to stay in a couple of different cities. I was thinking about suggesting it myself. I know her husband wants to visit places like Beverly Hills and such so if they stayed somewhere in between Anaheim and L.A. I figured that would be good since they could have the options of a few other amusement parks as well. I'll pass on the websites for them to look over. Thank you!