PDA

View Full Version : "it's a small world" Closed for a Year?

Pages : [1] 2

tigger08
10-23-2007, 05:10 AM
I heard this morning that at the beging of 2008 they will be closing ITs a small world for a year to redo the boats that are starting to fall apart and leak. The report said the plain is to reopen in December 2008 with the Holiday theme for the year. Has anyone else heard this? My husband was happy that the ride would not be open when we go in April however I'm a little disapointed that I can't take my kids on the ride for there first trip. The little guys would love it. Bummer!

yellowrosedtxn
10-23-2007, 05:17 AM
In the DLR update under refurbishment section this is what is found:

It's a Small World - closed October 22 - November 8 to install the holiday overlay, then reportedly will close at the end of January 2008 for a nine-month refurbishment, and should re-open in late October.

Darkbeer
10-23-2007, 05:19 AM
It is true, and alas, jus a fact of life.

The building ios old and needs some TLC, and so is the flume and the boats.

A new flume will be built, along with new boats. The attraction itself will also get some TLC, and some minor scene changes, but basically the same ride will return,the Holiday version in mid-November of 2008, and the regular version will return in February 2009.

tigger08
10-23-2007, 05:25 AM
thanks guys for the information.

DizMe
10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Sadly, Americans (and probably others) are too fat for IASM now and frequent jams occur because the boats bottom out. When the ride was built 40 years ago, the estimate for average boat weight carrying loads was considerably less than what they often must carry now. So, in addition to the age factor (the flumes and boats are the originals for the World's Fair or something), there is the weight factor. They are adding depth to the new flumes and buoyancy/size to the new boats. At the same time, almost everything inside and out is getting redone, so it is going to be a huge project.

Niwel
10-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Wonder if they will add in/adjust the countries (i.e., WDW has an Israel scene of a bride and groom dancing under a chuppah).

pixar
10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Sadly, Americans (and probably others) are too fat for IASM now and frequent jams occur because the boats bottom out. When the ride was built 40 years ago, the estimate for average boat weight carrying loads was considerably less than what they often must carry now. So, in addition to the age factor (the flumes and boats are the originals for the World's Fair or something), there is the weight factor. They are adding depth to the new flumes and buoyancy/size to the new boats. At the same time, almost everything inside and out is getting redone, so it is going to be a huge project.

is weight really a factor? I agree americans have gotten fatter on average, but they just simply put less people on board. not that you can fit the same number of fat ones as not so fat ones anyway.

Darkbeer
10-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes, weight is an issue, if you place a boatload full of "fluffies" on a boat at either iasw or Pirates, they can get stuck, and frequently do, especially iasw. But it does happen, and on a regular basis.

DizMe
10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Here is an excerpt from a recent Al Lutz article about the weight issue:

its a larger world after all

Meanwhile, this winter at Disneyland will see another season of major refurbishments descend on the park. The juiciest rehab rumors surround the nearly 10 month closure of it's a small world in 2008. When the ride closes in January after its eleventh season of the popular Holiday version of the ride, it will remain closed until it reopens again next November as it's a small world holiday for the Christmas, 2008 season. Once it closes for the holiday makeover on October 21st, you won't be able to ride the original version until the winter of 2009. But when the ride does reopen over a year from now, fans of the classic it's a small world won't be disappointed.

PanFan
10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, weight is a big factor. When we group, unlike many attractions where it doesn't matter how people are loaded, we have to keep the boat balanced. Meaning we have to have people in the first and last rows and the groups in the front half of the boat and the last half of the boat have to balance. So if we have a small group of four sitting in rows 4 and 5 and a big group of six comes up, rather than giving them two rows (we can fit three in a row), we'll give them rows 1, 2, and 3 to keep the boat balanced.

We've been using the same boats and flume since the 1964 World's Fair, so even without the weight issue we need a new one anyways. Parts of the flume are very leaky and we constantly have a problem with flooded boats. From what I can tell, there aren't going to be many, if any, animation changes. But I'm sure everything will get some TLC.

As excited as I am about the rehab, I did go to work early on Sunday to ride traditional IASW for the last time until 2009. I rode once taking a video and then again taking pictures. So next summer when I'm really missing it I can get my IASW fix! How pathetic is that :) Before I worked it, I never would have thought I would love that ride so much!

Bytebear
10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
any chance they will auction off any of the old props? Seems like if they are going to replace everything, they should let the public have a chance at owning a piece of Disneyland.

Andrew
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
any chance they will auction off any of the old props? Seems like if they are going to replace everything, they should let the public have a chance at owning a piece of Disneyland.
I get first dibs on the cowboy.

PanFan
10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Like I said, from my understanding, animation is not being changed or replaced. The dolls will likely get dusted and tuned up, but I wouldn't count on replacement. It's going to be all they can do to get the flume done in time.

DizMe
10-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Sorry; most of the article I posted above got cut off. Here's a link to the page about IASW: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al100907c.htm

Mickeygirlforever
10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm kind of excited. IASM is a classic attraction and of course I love it, but it does need some TLC. It's still a great ride, but have you seen DLP's IASM??? It's incredible! I hope they spruce and brighten it up like theirs. :)

hefferdude
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Visited the IASM at the '64 NYWF. Our cub scout den did a barber shop skit and performed at the Wonderful World of Scouting Pavilion. Still have the cert.
Same boats. Wow.

DisneyJenn
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh No! I am sooo sad! IASW is my Mom's favorite ride and it will be closed when we go next weekend. I promised her a ride on it! Everytime I go to DL, I call her when I am on it... I almost want to cry! It will probably be her last time ever to DL!

GrouchoMarx
10-23-2007, 06:26 PM
As excited as I am about the rehab, I did go to work early on Sunday to ride traditional IASW for the last time until 2009. I rode once taking a video and then again taking pictures. So next summer when I'm really missing it I can get my IASW fix!
How pathetic is that :)

uhh...pretty pathetic :D

PanFan
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
uhh...pretty pathetic :D

LOL--shut up! I love my IASW!

spectromen
10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm with you, Pan :)

adriennek
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM

I am sooooo glad I wasn't drinking when I read that...

Adrienne

JohnGar
10-23-2007, 10:04 PM
With all these "love" posts for IASW, I'm just very thankful that we can't post audio clips on this board so no one can post the song and have it stuck in my head for the next five months.

(Apologies to all who are now humming it and have it stuck in their heads.)

kiki
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM

Man!!! I wanted that. So I guess if you take the cowboy, I'll take the hula dancer girl.:D

HobbitFeet
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
With all these "love" posts for IASW, I'm just very thankful that we can't post audio clips on this board so no one can post the song and have it stuck in my head for the next five months.

(Apologies to all who are now humming it and have it stuck in their heads.)

That's OK, it's one of my favorite tunes. I have never minded it being in my head. As a kid, I nearly drove my then-new stepmom to homicide, because I was playing my record of the song over and over and over and over. I just love the wooden shoe clicky part. :) Even now I torment her by talking about that phase....:p

yohomama212
10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
DH came home today saying something about them re-recording the track with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anyone know anything about that?