PDA

View Full Version : Senior VP of Marketing "left" today, per LP post

Darkbeer
07-25-2002, 05:45 PM
http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-22344-P-7&Refresh=0725184004

Well, looks like somebody isn't too happy with the current numbers......:eek:

Edit: Quote from the referenced post removed. Please do not paste quotes from posts on other sites (unless it's your post), though you are always welcome to link to them. - Andrew

coronamouseman
07-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Hmm, being a VP at Disney in charge of DCA - kind of the equivalent of being designated as captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg or of being named the coach of the New Jersey Nets after finding out you play the Lakers in the NBA finals ...........

Doomed from the outset!

SoCalDisneyLover
07-25-2002, 08:12 PM
being named the coach of the New Jersey Nets after finding out you play the Lakers in the NBA finals ...........

Doomed from the outset!

I wanted to see that quote again. :-) But seriously, did she ever have a chance? As I said to my friend last night, who also has a season pass...if they had gone with a different pricing structure earlier, they would have probably been more successful.

The reality is that California Adventure is not a bad park. It becomes a bad park when you factor in a price for adults of $31 and above. Even the kids free promotion is not the best approach. The 1-Day Hopper is the closest I've seen them come to being realistic. But I still don't find it enough.

California Adventure needs an Adult Price All The Time, of $25-$30. Children should be $15-$20. If they want to run specials during the slower times, that's not a bad idea. But with these prices, I think they generate more interest since the price of $25 & $15 makes it far more reasonable for a family of 4 than a trip to Disneyland. This taps into the local market, especially if they run a kids free special during the fall, or early spring.

Be creative....you're Disney. You set the standard...more or less....so be competitive. The 1-Day Hopper is a good start, but I think it's overdue, and not enough. Have an evening promotion. Kids Free after 5. I think they benefit by attracting more people to that park. But they don't appear to realize this. Does anyone agree?

Disney has been wrong to think this park should have a regular price identical to Disneyland. It's half the park. Don't get me wrong, I like it. As a less crowded environment, it is wonderful. I do enjoy various rides and shows there. But if you want, it is probably quite possible to hit everything the park has to offer at least once during a day. Even on a less crowded day, that is not possible at DL. Pricing in even the same vicinity as DL is just not good economic sense. I think they gain by bringing in more people, and price is key on that since the ride offerings are limited.

Hollywood Backlot becomes a ghost town later in the day, and needs TOT badly. They need a lake show. It would keep people there later. But perhaps they want everyone out after the Electrical Parade. Disneyland packs 'em in for Fantasmic at 9 and 10:30. Plus Fireworks at 9:30. Would the cost of a water production and later hours outweigh the revenue generated overall? Concert Series was a good idea, but not when the last show is at 5:45. If Starship had played tonight at 7 PM, I would probably have been there. Lost revenue since I certainly would have eaten in the park, and taken up little space.

Sorry to ramble, and get a little off topic. Just my ideas. But Disney is still taking baby steps. The new hopper is progress. But it would certainly be easier to market CA Adventure than getting my center to post up on Shaq 1-1.

merlinjones
07-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Well that's hardly surprising. With all the trouble they went to for this "music series"... Absolutely the only ad I've seen for these was one page in the LA Times. If I didn't read these boards I'd likely never have known about the concerts.

All DCA ads I see or hear are generic, with no mention of the concerts.

I mean, are they advertising on oldies radio or anything at all?