PDA

View Full Version : Bad to worse: Walt's office, etc.

wonderful
07-25-2002, 04:09 PM
What no one has mentioned yet is "what on earth will replace the office?"
Granted, if you've read any posts saying "DL isn't a museum", that would be me... I'm all for "out with the old" (more of a personality thing than a beef with antiquity), but what has become increasingly apparent is that "the bad" (and in most cases, "bad" is a misnomer) is replaced with the infinitely WORSE...
I give you...
Tomorrowland circa 1990... boasted Captain EO, Rocket Jets, People Mover, Submarine Voyage, Circle Vision and the Tomorrowland Band...
REPLACED by an empty building, an empty lagoon, a replicant show (HISTA) and a replicant attraction (Astro Orbiter), not to mention Tomorrowland entertainment goes something to the tune of "to infinity and beyond" over and over and over again...
The Plaza Pavillion and The Tahitian Terrace...
REPLACED by a very expensive place to tell stories 'public library style' and a processing center...
Animazement (and I tell you, I was NOT a fan of this show, but I'd kill to have it back now!)...
REPLACED by... a perfectly good waste of walk around characters
"Steps in Time"...
REPLACED by a worse version of the show!
Main Street Electrical Parade...
REPLACED by Light Magic!!!!!!!
Hollywood and Dine and Superstar Limo
REPLACED by NOTHING.
So any guesses what is going in to the place formerly known as "Walt's working office"? I'll put my money on a fake wall with a hodge podge of pictures leaving Guests wondering "why is that behind glass?" and leaving Cast Members explaining "because there's nothing else we can put back there... if we DID have anything, we wouldn't want it sent to Florida"

RStar
07-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I know... this has been hashed out over and over. But it's not doing us much good.

I wondered the same thing, what are they going to do with the space. I figured storage or office space for now.

By the way, Steps was replaced with Blast! which most people think was a big improvement (although I liked steps as well), and I think Blast! is better. But now we're going to get Aladin, which I hear is a down grade even from Steps. Go figure...

JeffG
07-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by RStar
But now we're going to get Aladin, which I hear is a down grade even from Steps. Go figure...

They haven't even started rehearsals on the show yet...

-Jeff

innerSpaceman
07-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
They haven't even started rehearsals on the show yet...
Until we start getting a few improvements instead of denegrations, then negative expectations will rightfully continue.

I'm sure we'd all like to look at the bright side. Show us a tiny speck of light at the end of the tunnel, please.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Until we start getting a few improvements instead of denegrations, then negative expectations will rightfully continue.
Um, hello, BLAST!? :confused: That was a definite improvement.

Hyperboy
07-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

Um, hello, BLAST!? :confused: That was a definite improvement.

Hehe I will agree with you that Blast was an improvement.

But to build on what innerspaceman said: Until we start getting a few improvements instead of denegrations from Anne Hamburger and the current Entertainment department, then negative expectations will rightfully continue.

I mean, wasn't Blast a success in its own right before coming to DCA? I just don't think the woman who calls a rubberhead nodding while a CM screams at the audience "entertainment" or a "show" had anything really to do with the quality presentation of Blast. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Nigel2
07-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Geezee, just when I was starting to get over the lack of notice for Walt's 100th, now this. I know it would cost a lot to do all the shipping and stuff (I am not sure if I feel they were planing on this from the get-go though). But one question, isn't the exhibit it is in now only temporary? Does this mean the office will just go into storage for a long time?

wonderful
07-25-2002, 10:19 PM
"On the bright side" the office is still on display somewhere... not a total loss, I guess...
Indeed, it is sort of "okay" that florida got a little Walt thrown its way... I really would appreciate them at least sending the gold birdcage back... THAT can't be impossible... and it was a part of the office that is still at DL.
So... does anyone have any "hopes" for what might be put in the place of the office at DL? There's really a great range of possibilities... set pieces, concept art, models, a display of Audio-Animatronics (like a Country bear and a tiki bird and "father" from the Carousel)...
Here's my idea: a living room set in the 50s with the television facing the glass window--- all around the room are disneyana items like LPs, old toys, stuffed Mickey on the couch, a TV Guide with Walt or MM on the cover, etc. At the end of the film across the way, the television set starts and a two to three minute reel shows the changing intros to the Wonderful World of Disney (or Disneyland, or the Wonderful world of color)... the record player starts to play the mickey mouse club march, and, finally, a small music box in a far corner plays a few strands to "feed the birds"... A slice of Walt in Americana and a look at how Disneyland was born... just my idea

Uncle Dick
07-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
Tomorrowland circa 1990... boasted Captain EO, Rocket Jets, People Mover, Submarine Voyage, Circle Vision and the Tomorrowland Band...
REPLACED by an empty building, an empty lagoon, a replicant show (HISTA) and a replicant attraction (Astro Orbiter), not to mention Tomorrowland entertainment goes something to the tune of "to infinity and beyond" over and over and over again...
In 1990, Tomorrowland also had an empty building (Carousel theater) which is now an attraction (Innoventions), although I'm not exactly sure if this is an improvement or not…

The Club Buzz stage may feature garbage during the day time, but at night, we do get to see great acts like Barrage and the Fab Four (and VOYAGER!!!!!!).

swcrazy
07-26-2002, 12:17 AM
I claim newbbie status for this one but: I am confused about the office thing. I have been in the Lincoln show several times and I know that there is an area made up to be Walt's office and the tour guides in the Lincoln queue always lecture about it.

Now I am hearing that the office has been gone for months and that nothing is in its spot. Can some one please clear this up for me? Which office is in there now? And if it is a replica, where did the real office used to be?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance.

Nigel2
07-26-2002, 12:21 AM
There are 2 offices, the working office and the entertaining office, we still have the entertaining office (they are both the real thing BTW down to the carpet and paneling). They took the working office, and put a wall up inside the case with some photos of walt.