PDA

View Full Version : Question about add-on points

Wedge
10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm considering buying into the DVC within the next 2 years or sow now that the DLR has some DVC locations comming and that is the park we frequent the most. Our plan so far is to buy an existing time share from on of the re-sale services for cheaper than through Disney and then add-on some points to the DL resort DVC's. So here is my question

If we buy 150 points from a Re-sale at one of the WDW resorts and then add-on points to a DL resort DVC does that mean that the DL DVC is also my 'home resort' or is it only where the initial purchase was made?

-Or-

When you buy add-on points can use make the 11 month reservations to the add-on resort?

Also if you want to buy more points do you have to go through Disney or can you buy another re-sale and link the two together? (I see some re-sales for like 80 points sometimes and wonder if that is just their add-on points they want to sell)

Thanks in advance :)

DVC Mike
10-19-2007, 09:42 AM
If we buy 150 points from a Re-sale at one of the WDW resorts and then add-on points to a DL resort DVC does that mean that the DL DVC is also my 'home resort' or is it only where the initial purchase was made?

-Or-

When you buy add-on points can use make the 11 month reservations to the add-on resort?

Each resort that you buy into is your home resort. Keep in mind that if you have more than one home resort, all vacation points being used to make a reservation during the Home Resort Priority Period must be associated with that home resort. That is, you cannot combine points from multiple resorts to book one resort during the Home Resort Priority Period. You may combine all the points you have at all your home resorts and book any DVC resort only at the 7-month window.

Also if you want to buy more points do you have to go through Disney or can you buy another re-sale and link the two together? (I see some re-sales for like 80 points sometimes and wonder if that is just their add-on points they want to sell)

You can add-on through Disney (minimum of 25 points if paying cash, or 50 if financing), or purchase another resale contract.

GusMan
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
-Or-

IF you buy into a current DVC resort then want to get points at the GCV at DLR, you will end up having two separate home resorts.

If you want to add on to a current contract, you do not necessarily have to go through DVC. However, there are some advantages in doing so such as no closing costs and some flexible financing options. Other offers for add-ons may vary.

As for the 11 month rule and multiple home resorts, I am going to yield to someone who might know how that works since I dont own two contracts myself. ETA: Looks like DVCMike got ya covered there! :)

Tony
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Also, in the past, DVC has offered sales of new properties to existing DVC owners first. I expect that there will be a lot of interest in the DLR DVC property, and if you are concerned that it will see out too fast, you may want to have a DVC ownership in place, letting you get in on the DLR property early.

Wedge
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
How hard is it to get reservations at the DVC clubs? Is the 11 month vs the 7 month necisary for some resorts or are you usually able to get a reservation if you are 7-6 months out. (I'm not talking about the super bussy Christmas-New Years time, just normal stuff like off season and summer.) Since the CGH will only have about 50 DVC rooms I'm asuming that they will all be booked before the 7 month period anyway. Since you have alot more resorts in the WDW area finding just 'a DVC room' 7 months or less out wouldn't be that hard as long as you weren't picky.

GusMan
10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
How hard is it to get reservations at the DVC clubs? Is the 11 month vs the 7 month necisary for some resorts or are you usually able to get a reservation if you are 7-6 months out. (I'm not talking about the super bussy Christmas-New Years time, just normal stuff like off season and summer.)
From what I have read, here and elsewhere, getting a ressie at your home resort at the 11 month mark is usually not all that hard, depending on what you want. At the 7 month mark for non-home resorts, it can get a little tricky, but many state that they dont have too much problems with it. In some ways, its all about being a little flexible along with planning ahead.

My general thought is that if you get a ressie at your home resort at the 11 month mark, then at least you have a place to stay. Having it changed later is then less important.

If having to stay at a particular resort is a priority to you, then you should try to own at that resort so you have the home resort advantage.

Tony
10-19-2007, 11:34 AM
It is also very much a function of the time of year. If you want the Boardwalk at WDW during Food & Wine festival, or any resort on the week before Christmas and New Years, expect to have to book at 11 months. If you want WDW in August/September, or DLR in February mid-week, it should be a problem getting it.

genericeric
10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
thinking about doing this, DLR would be the only one we would go to, how much does it really cost? I know the 16k or whatever with 10 years to pay but monthly cost and stuff? Is it worth it for just one trip a year?

GusMan
10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
thinking about doing this, DLR would be the only one we would go to, how much does it really cost? I know the 16k or whatever with 10 years to pay but monthly cost and stuff? Is it worth it for just one trip a year?
Right now any idea as to cost, both for buy-in and for annual fees, when it comes to a DVC resort at DLR is going to be pure speculation.

However, when it comes to the "worth it for one trip a year" question, the answer really depends on how you like to vacation. Using our WDW vacations as an example, we love staying on-site and like to stay at the moderate or deluxe resorts. We also stay anywhere between 5 and 9 nights per trip. We factored how much we spend on the room alone per trip on average and we figure that in about 5 to 7 years, we will get out monies worth when considering what we have paid for our membership. After that, we will see a good chunk of savings on an annual basis if we continue our current vacation habits. (Which we plan on that being the case.) So for us, it makes perfect sense for our annual (or even slightly more frequent) trips.

When the costs are solidified and publicly published for DLR's DVC offering, you will then be able to see if the breakdown works well for you according to how you like to vacation. Granted, it would be easy for me to recommend buying into DVC now, but I think if DLR is going to be your main resort, you really need to have your DVC "home" there in order to get the 11 month advantage.