PDA

View Full Version : Tram loading trouble

RStar
07-25-2002, 10:17 AM
Went to DL last night with my wife. She still has trouble walking around too much, but we went for dinner and a movie at DTD, and to look around Main Street at DL a bit. We were on our way out to the tram when just about the baracade near the info booth for the bricks my wife's back went out and she could hardly move. The CM at the baracade could see we had trouble, but didn't (or couldn't) do anything. After a while I was able to get her to a chair at La Brea, and I went to the info booth to see if I could get a wheelchair (left our at home) or something. She called someone and then told me to ask the guy at the barracade, and that they have parking lot wheelcairs I could use. So I asked him and he said to go ask one of the CM loading the tram, they can help. Then that CM said to go ask the CM on the end. And he said to go ask the one by the van. He said I would have to go rent one. I told him I only needed to get her from La Brea to the tram (this was at 11;30 last night and the tram area was packed so it would have required a lot of standing that she couldn't do). He then went and got one. I got her in the chair on the tram and into the M&F parking structure (in the handicap area) without a single CM asking where I was going with their wheelchair (4 or 5 CMs looked at it). I then had to ask 3 CMs who to give it back after I had put her in the car.

Is this normal? Don't they have procedures for this type of thing? It must happen once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I got more than attention I would have if I was like at a mall or something, but she had to wait at La Brea for 20 min. in pain while I found out what to do.

Uncle Dick, any thoughts? (And I know your looking at this:D )

Uncle Dick
07-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Is this normal? Don't they have procedures for this type of thing? It must happen once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I got more than attention I would have if I was like at a mall or something, but she had to wait at La Brea for 20 min. in pain while I found out what to do.

Uncle Dick, any thoughts? (And I know your looking at this:D )
I'm not a GCV driver so I'm not sure about the exact procedure regarding wheelchairs (which are a fairly recent addition). CMs who aren't trained as drivers aren't going to know what to do beyond telling you to go talk to guy driving the courtesy van. The CMs probably didn't ask you where you were going with the wheelchair because the van driver presumably took your credit card information as collateral.

Anyway, the whole process of getting a wheelchair from the GCV is rather time consuming, especially late at night when the van driver has almost constant pickups.

RStar
07-25-2002, 11:57 AM
See? I knew you'd spot this UD:D !

Well, I feel better then. I didn't realize that it was a recent addition, the CMs didn't seem to know what was going on there. But I didn't rent the wheelchair, so they took no info. I told each CM that I just needed to get her to the car. That it was an emergency.

Actually, I knew you wern't a GCV driver, or tram CM, but I figured you might know something about parking lot emergency procedures (although is the DTD tram loading area-esplanade-considered parking lot?). And I trust your input.

Uncle Dick
07-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Actually, I knew you wern't a GCV driver, or tram CM, but I figured you might know something about parking lot emergency procedures (although is the DTD tram loading area-esplanade-considered parking lot?). And I trust your input.
Actually, trams, parking lots and, strangely enough, kennel are all part of the same department. I do work the tram area, but I'm not trained to drive… yet.

RStar
07-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Oh, so you have plans to move on up to a sitting job, do you? Oh, the power!

"Driver, your tram's all clear!"

Or you can just become one of those "human air gate people" that load the trams.:D

I'm sure they got a good job description for the guy in the rear who does (or doesn't in some cases) the speel. Would you want to take that job? Do they rotate you to all of the above before you drive, or is it nessisary?

And by the way, a funny thing happened last night as well. As we pulled into the spot to unload at M&F, the driver forgot to stop at the first unloading spot where the ramp is because my wife was in the wheelchair, so he just kept going back into the parking structure and out again in a circle. People thought he was crazy. One lady said "Hey, they are never gonna let us off this thing!"

Ghoulish Delight
07-25-2002, 01:02 PM
The famous UD does indeed do the spiel job. Ask him about Flick's Fun Fair. Go on. Ask him.

Not Afraid
07-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
The famous UD does indeed do the spiel job. Ask him about Flick's Fun Fair. Go on. Ask him.

Darn, I need to get that video problem fixed for all to see.

Rallymonkey23
07-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

Darn, I need to get that video problem fixed for all to see.

Yes. You do. :D

Dreamstaker
07-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

All right, I'll do the dirty work.

Hey Uncle D.

What's up with Flick's Fun Fair?

Durliin
07-25-2002, 08:55 PM
ahhh Driving It use to be soo Evil when you were stuck with the same person at the RT for 8 hours man there were a Few times I wanted to Stop the Tram and leave becasue they were so bad...oh well I didnt Drive much spent most of the time on the back....ahh I miss that but I love attractions More..

Uncle Dick
07-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Dreamstaker
What's up with Flick's Fun Fair?
Eh, it's some new kids thing they're building over in DCA. How's that? :D

Originally posted by Durliin
ahhh Driving It use to be soo Evil when you were stuck with the same person at the RT for 8 hours man there were a Few times I wanted to Stop the Tram and leave becasue they were so bad
You know, they claim that the drivers wear those earplugs to protect them from the roar of the tram engine, but sometimes I wonder if they are just trying to ignore the RT… ;)

RStar
07-26-2002, 08:19 AM
Ohmygosh! I think I figured out what the "Flick's Fun Fair" thing is. Try switching the last letters of the first two words when your saying it fast and see what you get!:eek: UD you didn't do that, did you??!!:eek: Oh, those poor kid's ears! This is a family park....