PDA

View Full Version : Pirates additions

Pages : [1] 2

Normouse
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
As a longtime lover of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, I have not been back to Disneyland since the updating the this ride, and I am afraid from what I have read that they have destroyed the greatest ride ever created by Disney.

It has been my pleasure to go every year to Disneyland, and to ride the Pirates ride several times during each visit. I have never been a fan of the Pirates movies, and had always hoped that Disney would leave the rides at both parks alone, and not try to link them to the inferior movies that are supposedly based upon them. It is the ride that is the real "classic", and however popular the movies are, the integrity of the original concept should have been kept. The ride had it's own unique atmosphere that should not have been invaded by commercialized intruders from the slick, yet intensely boring motion pictures. But being aware of the Disney pattern, I knew the day would come when they would commit this terrible sacrilege.

I am sure that for children who adore the movies, and adults that do not have the long and treasured memories of this ride that I have, these additions are exactly what they have been waiting for. But for me, I am afraid to return to Disneyland and see that the unforgettable experience of entering the world of my favorite ride has been ruined forever.

Another Dimension
10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I personally like the movies. They are good for what they are.
And none of the stars make my heart pound at all... so I like the movies for the movies themselves.

PotC is a classic DL attraction.
But there is no way Walt himself would have left the attraction in 2007 in the same state as it was in 1967 when it opened...
There is no way of telling whether Walt would have liked the movies, the PC changes, the recent changes ... or even left PoTC as a whole standing as a Disneyland attraction for 40 years.

I know many who like the changes and many who hate the changes... and even some of them from both groups like or hate the movies.
That is all subjective opinion amongst them, like everyone else...

...and there is always ones own perception of 'the classic Disneyland' based on ones own memories. :)

But I personally don't feel there is any way PotC would still even be standing... with or without hundreds of changes these past 40 years.. if Walt Disney was still alive.

Classic Disneyland really isn't what anyone specifically remembers in their own mind....
Classic Disneyland is how Walt Disney ran the place.

...Imagination expansion, creativity, public necessity, change and Walt's self-promotion were why Disneyland was created.

PoTC at Disneyland always has had and always will have... what I listed above.

It did as I was growing up, it did when the questionable changes were made and it still does today. PotC promotes the Walt Disney Company... as do the movies.
And the movies promote Disneyland which in turn promotes the movies.

PotC was created by movie makers, the movies were created by movie makers.
It's all come a completely wonderful & wholly magical full circle IMO.

A full circle of creativity... and one I like to think Walt would be extremely proud of.
If he himself hadn't ripped out 'that old Pirate attraction....' years ago himself.

Just my opinion.

yohomama212
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I think you'd be surprised at how little has changed. POTC has always been my favorite ride, heck I spent my entire Grad Nite doing nothing but riding it over and over again (gosh, that sounds pathetic, doesn't it). There had been a couple years between my pre-renovation visit and post-renovation visit. My SIL had gushed in her typical over the top fashion of how cool the ride was now that it had been changed. Imagine my surprise when I could count the significant changes on one hand! I am so glad I am able to share my favorite ride with my kids in just the way I grew up with it!

Elizabeth

PanFan
10-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Classic Disneyland really isn't what anyone specifically remembers in their own mind....
Classic Disneyland is how Walt Disney ran the place.

...Imagination expansion, creativity, public necessity, change and Walt's self-promotion were why Disneyland was created.

PoTC at Disneyland always has had and always will have... what I listed above.

Wow, Another Dimension, that brought a tear to my eye. Well, not really, but you bring up some really good points and I completely agree with you.

Though I was hesitant at first about the POTC changes, I was quite opposed to the changing of TSI from the beginning. But then I saw it and I realized that it needed some changing in order to relate to today's audience. Things can't always stay the same as we remember them. Sometimes it would be nice if they would, but how would we progress if nothing changed? The world is a dynamic place and that is especially true at DL.

Bolivar
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
All you can do is go ride the ride and see what you think. You will either be happy, upset or somewhere in between, but no matter what anyone says, before you go, you won't know how you like it until you go on it.

Rufus T Firefly
10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
All you can do is go ride the ride and see what you think. You will either be happy, upset or somewhere in between, but no matter what anyone says, before you go, you won't know how you like it until you go on it.

Great advice,Bolivar. Actually its pretty good advice for life in general.

wlc
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I agree. I rode Pirates during the Family Media event, when they opened it to the public. Before getting on, I felt very excited but also sad that my favorite attraction might change. Upon seeing certain changes (to prevent spoilers, a projection) I felt it distracted from the experience and removed a part of the script I liked. The music, although nice, gave it a goodbye or "funeral" touch. I felt like what I loved was changed drastically. After visiting multiple times later, I've come to accept the changes. They may have changed things I liked, but they also improved things I liked. The improvements in sound and lighting more than make up for the changes--- and I especially like the removal of the grunting pirates at the end. I'd prefer Jack before any of them. If they removed (or, preferably, MOVED) the projection scene from the ride, I'd think this was a major plus and would greatly have approved of it.

Normouse
10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I know that I'm in a state of ignorance until I actually experience the changes,
but my objection stems from the fact that, unlike many of the rides which were based on previous Disney movies, the Pirate attraction was a true original. When they made the films, more than thirty years later, they did not come close to capturing the potentialities inherent in the ride.

I went to the movies hoping that I would like them, and was disappointed that I didn't learn anything new about the tableaus presented in the ride.
They were just a very commercial exploitation of the ride that made a lot of money for Disney, but had very little to do with the content of the ride.

I am not against the updating of classic rides. But I don't agree with the concept of making movies supposedly based on an original ride, and then trying to "fix" the ride so that it conforms to the inferior films. The idea of seeing a figure of "Jack Sparrow" on the ride makes me sick, because he is completely out of place in the context of the ride. It's like placing the Seven Dwarves in Wonderland.

yellowrosedtxn
10-18-2007, 03:49 AM
All I can say is this, everyone here has posted a lot of good advice or vents or whatever to say how they feel, but I will agree with the ones that say you won't know if you like it, hate it or will just live with it until you ride it. I hate change as much as the next person, but you learn over the years that change does not have to be a bad thing. You grow from change, whether that is from your favorite ride changing to things that go on in your life. You live, you learn.

I am not going to debate the movies verses the ride because that has been done enough on this board. Just go ride the ride and decide for yourself about the changes to the ride.

bloodnswash
10-18-2007, 05:19 AM
POTC has always been my favorite attraction (35+ years). Since the changes...it is no longer my favorite ride. And I am one of those that LOVE POTC movies 1 and 3. My teenage son and husband feel the same way as I do. Now a days, when people ask me what my favorite ride is I reply, "The original Pirates of the Caribbean" or "Haunted Mansion". As I've said before...thank goodness the Haunted Mansion movie was a flop. Could you imagine seeing Eddie Murphy all throughout the ride? UGH!

Yellowrosedtxn is right. Go on the ride and see what you think. You might be perfectly ok with it all. :) Please let us know what your thoughts are after you ride it. I'd for sure like to hear.

Foodie
10-18-2007, 05:55 AM
I was really worried about seeing the changes too when I went last summer. I happen to love the movies, but was still nervous about the changes. I was most pleasantly surprised. I think the changes they made actually gave the ride more of an actual storyline rather than random piratey scenes.

Obviously you won't know until you go, but try to go with an open mind, you might be surprised to find you like it. If you go into it determined to hate it, surprise surprise, you probably will...Do let us know what you think when you finally go on it again.

-Foodie :)

RStar
10-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Well, I for one don't mind change at all. If I've been on a ride a million times, change can be refreshing. So I look forward with excitement to see what they come up with next. Since they added Indy, I have documented a lot of the changes around the resort with photos.

Besides, if a ride goes stale and ridership drops, they could just shutter it. I would rather have change than complete loss.

I like the movies, so I like the change in the ride. I think it was changed just enough to enhance it, not ruin it.

disneyhound
10-18-2007, 06:47 AM
POTC has always been my favorite ride; typically a first stop when we hit the park. I was concerned about the changes when announced, but IMHO, the changes have been enhancements, and have added to my enjoyment of this truly original creation from Walt and his imagineers.

DizneyMommy
10-18-2007, 07:08 AM
For someone who does not go very often, or has not ridden the ride in many years, you may not even really notice all of the changes. They are mostly very subtle additions to the ride and not a drastic overhaul. The scenes you probably remember and loved are all still there. Even I, who rides it many times a year, missed everything the first time through. And personally, I think some of the additions are really cool, still makes me smile every time we ride, it is just amazing to see how awesome the work of the Imagineers is and how close it comes to reality (sorry, trying not to spoil... I think some of you know what I mean). Though I'll admit, while I like the ride, I am not in love with it so much that I notice the teeny details every time and I am one who is all for updating rides when trends in ridership call for it. This was a great update, very subtle and keeping true to the original ride - and yes, Eddie Murphy in HM WOULD freak me out! :-)

CariBelle
10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
As an "adult" who DOES have "long and treasured memories" of Pirates, and who is also a fan of the movies I like the changes, but like others have said I think you are expecting life shattering changes and that really isn't the case.

DaDuckFan1955
10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Normouse I had similiar feeling as you do.

POTC is my favorite ride, and I usually ride it dozens of times while at the park, I have loved POTC since it first opened in 1968 and it has been my best and favorite ride.

When I went in April I was already upset that they had ruined POTC. (so much for making up your mind before seeing the changes huh?) However I was pleasantly surprised after I got through the ride, they did it with taste, as a long time POTC ride lover I do not mind what they did. Jack is hidden in the city area and blends in perfectly with the scene, the Jack at the end is tastfully done as well.

I love the Projector of Davy Jones warning I think it ENHANCES and Transitions from the ghostly/skeleton part to the city and improves the whole ride!!!!

I enjoyed my trip in April so much, my son & I are planning for go back down In December for 8 days!!!

Remember the only person who likes change is a baby..

I hope this eases your fears, so often the upgrades can ruin the flavor/theme, but they actually did okay this time....

here is a link to over a hundred pics of POTC I took when we went through early in April 2007 (we were the only ones at opening time, as we ran past Indy the CM's said "the entrance is here and there is no waiting for Indy!" my son shouted back "we want to go on Pirates first!", they laughed and said you must be real fans then). We got in and had a boat to ourselves and there was no one in the boats ahead of us or in the 3 behind us. Since I would not be spoiling it for anyone I activated my flash and took over 80 flash pics. Obviously since no one else was on the ride I did not get yelled at "NO FLASHES" as happened later on (hehehe). I always wanted to 'study' the out of sight props and this allowed me to enjoy my treasure ride even more so.

if you do not want to 'see' or be spoiled then you might want to pass on viewing these.

http://family.webshots.com/album/558988170fwbleN

princesspirate75
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I have to agree as well that I had many trepedations about Potc being altered in a way that would ruin the previous expieriences I have enjoyed riding it. But, to my surprised I found to additions to be very fitting to the existing scenarios. Also the fact the captain Jack was not blantantly overshadowing the rest of the Potc crew. You would have to definitely have to ride the attraction to judge for yourself. :D

DaDuckFan1955
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
oops wrong link
this one is just POTC

http://family.webshots.com/album/559005156vOniUS?start=24

fantasiapirate
10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Pirates was closed when I was there in May of 06. Can't wait to see the changes; I'll take the ride in any form. I missed it last time!

bloodnswash
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Normouse I had similiar feeling as you do.

POTC is my favorite ride, and I usually ride it dozens of times while at the park, I have loved POTC since it first opened in 1968 and it has been my best and favorite ride.

POTC opened March 18, 1967.

vj81995
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
WARNING: THIS POST HAS SPOLIERS ABOUT THE NEW ENHANCEMENTS, IF YOU HAVEN'T RIDDEN THE RIDE YET, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE.

Ok, My 2c about the enhancements are that the enhancements are awesome, high tech, yet not taking away from that Disney maguc you feel every day. The new Jack actually surprised Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow) and the Davy Jones waterfall is awesome. So I think if you don't like it, keep it to yourself, not bring the rest of us down. Ride it for ONCE THEN talk to us. Have a Magical day!

IllusionOfLife
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I have been going to some form of Disney Park almost every year since I was born, so I'd wager to say that I have plenty of fond memories of PotC before either the PC or Movie updates to the attraction. I do like the movies (although the first one was the best), but that being said I was not a fan of the idea of the attraction being updated with elements from the movies. When I did experience the attraction, however, I was surprised at how unobtrusive the additions were. There are only 5 main additions to the attraction, and in my opinion the majority blend seamlessly into the attraction and in a couple areas even enhance the overall experience (Trust me I'm as surprised that I'm saying that as you would be). But as everyone else has stated this is all based on opinion and you can't honestly form an opinion about something you haven't experienced.

–SolarSurfer

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

Another Dimension
10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
...and there is no lack of imagination at WDI. :cool:

Just lack of huge budgets and still way too much childish politics from adults.

:eek:

Mickeygirlforever
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
This ride has always been my favorite :). I love the movies. I think it captures the spirit of the attraction without copying it. I've always loved seeing the "inside jokes" from the attraction in the movies.
I was REALLY scared that they were going to do some major changes to the original ride, but was pleasantly suprised. I do admit that I miss the captain's curse narration in the dark caves, but LOVE Davy Jones (he has the BEST vilian laugh). The ride hasn't really changed in spirit, they just enhanced it a little. I don't think they ruined the ride at all :). The Jack Sparrow AA is incredible. It looks and acts just like him.
I agree with what everyone else is saying about Walt never stopping the work. They really did an amazing job with Pirates. It's still my favorite:).

misdisney
10-18-2007, 09:55 PM
This was a favorite ride if mine when I was a little girl and now, Its one of my little girls favorites. The movies are amazing and give the ride a story. I love the fact that with the help of the movies its brought a hole new generation of kids to this ride. Change is hard, however I think Disney was right on with this one....... Love Captain Jack!:p