PDA

View Full Version : Disney's $1 Billion Adventure - Wall Street Journal, 10/17/07 (DCA improvements)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119257768823361264.html

Note, the entire Wall Street Journal web site is free today, so click on the link for the full story while it is still available.

QuikQuote: Since its 2001 debut, the Walt Disney Co. theme park Disney's California Adventure has floundered in the shadow of its legendary neighbor, Disneyland. To fix it, Disney is now planning a $1.1 billion overhaul -- the most extensive makeover the company has ever given to a theme park.
Disney's board recently approved the investment, which will be poured into California Adventure over roughly five years, according to people familiar with the plan. The sum is particularly significant, considering the theme park cost around $1 billion to build and Disney has already spent more than $100 million trying to improve it.

Darkbeer
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
There is a LOT of info in this article.

Much of the info is from Bob Weis, the WDI person in charge of the DCA makeover.

Cars Land is coming

Little Mermaid Ride is coming

Mulholland Madness will be rethemed

Alas, the Pacific Wharf area will remain the same, with both tortilla and bread tours still being offered.

Check out the link, it is quite an interesting read.

PanFan
10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Very cool! Thanks!

dittersdorf
10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Very cool indeed! I especially like the fact that DCA will be more "Disney" themed - I often forget when I'm in DCA that it's "DISNEY'S California Adventure" because so much of it (especially Paradise Pier) seems like just any other theme park. The park definitely needs more pixie dust, and I'm hoping the imagineers really come through.
VERY excited about the plaza being redisigned to focus on Walt's early years in Hollywood, and the Little Mermaid attraction is something the park has needed for some time (who here, besides me, would LOVE to see a "Beauty & The Beast" attraction?)
I must admit I haven't seen "Cars" yet, so I guess I'll have to rent it (although it sounds like I'll have a few years before the "Cars Land" is open). Hope I'm not offending anyone, but I don't like the Pixar films nearly as much as the classic Disney animated features. But, as far as I'm concerned, just about anything will help DCA at this point (although I love "Soarin'" and "Tower of Terror").
So there's my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth!::cool:

kx65 33b
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
My opinion:

They should try to renovate the rides instead of completely getting rid of them. Like Maliboomer- yeah that ride is at a lot of theme parks, but it is one of the best thrills and plus there is a great view up there. I am glad that they are renovating MM&M and not just ripping it out completely.

Darkbeer
10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...la-home-center (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney17oct17,0,3512509.story?coll=la-home-center)

QuikQuote: The struggling park, which sits in Disneyland's shadow, was a disappointment from the start, failing to draw the crowds the company had anticipated. The idea behind the overhaul recently approved by the board of directors is to give it new attractions and a sharper identity -- and make it more like Disneyland.
"They're trying to give it some heart," said a person familiar with the plan who asked not to be identified. "Right now, you go through California Adventure once, and that's about it."
Rob Doughty, a Disneyland spokesman, declined to comment on the plans. Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger is scheduled to appear today at a news conference to provide details.

misdisney
10-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I do like DCA, however making it more Disney friendly will help the park alot. I love HTOT and Calif Screamin. But for me the Monstors Inc ride does nothing for me.... Can't wait to see what they do>:) They don't have to put a bunch of thrill rides in but I also don't think they should try and recreate whats at Dianeyland. It will be fun to watch over the next few years.

bloodnswash
10-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the link! I can't wait to see the changes.

olegc
10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
i did think it was interesting in the LA Times article that there was a comment on "timing" concerning the housing issues with Anaheim City Council. Ah - the power of the media....

Darkbeer
10-17-2007, 07:42 AM
i did think it was interesting in the LA Times article that there was a comment on "timing" concerning the housing issues with Anaheim City Council. Ah - the power of the media....

I think Mr. Hernandez comments were just sour grapes.

But, to be realistic, did the TIMING of this announcement have anything to do with the SOAR/CDPA election issues? Of course, but on the other hand, Disney needed to do this, with or without an election being held.

But I think the City Council is seeing the handwriting on the wall, the DCA major improvements/expansion, the GCH expansion, the construction in the area, including WorldMark, Anaheim GardenWalk, and now the Red Lion Group taking over the Radisson and is spending around $10 million to improve the property. All with a block or two of the Mobile Home parks.

So what will SunCal do? Will they spend some money on the election, or do they decide that it would be a waste of money to try and compete for voters....

And what will the City Council decide to do about "AVE", the SunCal proposal that they want to get placed on the ballot without gathering signatures, it is clear based on Mr. Hernandez's comments that he is willing to do it, and I presume Ms. Galloway will also do what SunCal is asking.

So the question is, will Ms. Kring be the third vote to allow it, or will she realize that they should treat both sides the same, and require SunCal to gather signatures if they want the measure on the ballot......

Darkbeer
10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
The Walt Disney Company Press Release

Disney Announces Significant Expansion Plan for the Disneyland Resort

Multi-Year Build-out Plan Includes Major Attractions and a New "Cars Land" at Disney's California Adventure

GLENDALE, Calif., Oct 17, 2007 -- The Walt Disney Company today unveiled a significant multi-year expansion plan for the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim that continues its growth as a multi-day, world-class tourist destination.

Announced by Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger and Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo at a press conference at Walt Disney Imagineering's Glendale headquarters, the expansion will bring new entertainment and major family-oriented attractions to Disney's California Adventure, including an entirely new Cars Land inspired by the hit Disney/Pixar animated film Cars.

"The success of the Disneyland Resort over the past few years provides us with both the opportunity and the need to invest for growth, to enhance and expand the experience for our guests and attract new visitors, while at the same time delivering attractive returns on the investment," said Iger. "This plan is a reflection of our belief in the bright future of the Disneyland Resort and our continuing commitment to grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world-class tourist destination."

Disney Imagineers will be bringing more of Walt Disney into Disney's California Adventure, celebrating the hope and optimism of California that attracted Walt to this land of opportunity in the 1920s. Guests entering the new Plaza will be instantly immersed in the world that inspired Walt during his early days as an animation pioneer. The new, interactive Walt Disney Story attraction will set the stage for the unfolding story of Walt that will permeate the park.

The expansive program reaches throughout Disney's California Adventure, with an amazing Little Mermaid attraction, a groundbreaking, signature nighttime spectacular and new viewing area for 9,000, and the addition of the 12-acre Cars Land featuring the world of Radiator Springs with three new attractions. Extensive landscaping, new retail and dining will create an even richer environment throughout the park in ways that reinforce Guests' connection with Walt.

"Our Disneyland Guests have a deep emotional connection with Walt Disney, whose life story really captures the pioneering spirit of California in the 1920s," said Rasulo. "The creative evolution of Disney's California Adventure will connect guests to Walt's own California adventure and reflect the place that he found when he first arrived with a cardboard suitcase in his hand and a head full of dreams."

The expansion is part of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' overall growth strategy of continuing to invest in its core business of existing parks and resorts around the world, while exploring new opportunities to capture more of the growing family vacation market. This announcement follows Disney's ground-breaking last month for a 250-room expansion of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, including 50 rooms dedicated to the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, the company's growing time share business.

Multi-day, World-Class Tourist Destination

Today's announced expansion builds upon the transformation of the Disneyland park into a multi-day destination resort that began in 2001 with the creation of the Disneyland Resort and the opening of Disney's California Adventure Park, Downtown Disney and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.

Since then, the Disneyland Resort has continued to grow with the addition of popular attractions and shows, including: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!, Block Party Bash, High School Musical 2: Schools Out!, Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, and Jedi Training Academy, along with the re-Imagineering of Space Mountain and enhancements to Pirates of the Caribbean.

"This expansion builds on a commitment we made more than a decade ago to create and grow the Anaheim Resort Area as a world-class tourist destination where guests would want to stay for more than one day," said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. "That investment has become a success for Disney, the Anaheim community and for the economy of Southern California."

According to the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, Anaheim is one of the fastest-growing tourist destinations in the country, enjoying some of the highest hotel occupancy rates in the nation and attracting millions of visitors each year who spend billions of dollars.

Coming to Disney's California Adventure Over the Next Several Years

In addition to the new themeing and attractions, Disney's California Adventure will receive new restaurant and retail innovations, landscaping to enrich the placemaking, facade and graphics enhancements, and an extensive menu of entertainment and events.

Disney's California Adventure is already home to some of the Disneyland Resort's highest-rated attractions and shows, including: Soarin' Over California, California Screamin', The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and the Broadway-caliber show, Disney's Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular.

Cars Land

The expansion will culminate with an entirely new, 12-acre addition: Cars Land, immersing guests into a world inspired by the hit Disney/Pixar movie, Cars, playing to America's love affair with automobiles.

Radiator Springs Racers, a major "E-ticket" attraction, places guests right in the middle of the amazingly detailed, dimensional Cars world of Mater, Lightning McQueen, Doc and Sally. Guests get a quick race briefing from Doc and Lightning, and suddenly find themselves in the midst of a race around hairpin turns and steep banks.

Cars Land increases capacity to the park with two additional immersive family rides, featuring Luigi and Mater from the movie. Cars Land represents an unprecedented level of collaboration between Pixar Animation Studios and Disney Imagineering to create this extensive new area. The new land will substantially extend the total area of Disney's California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier

Paradise Pier will host major new attractions beginning next summer with the opening of Toy Story Mania!, a ride-through, interactive adventure where Guests ride into a high-energy 4-D carnival midway hosted by Toy Story characters. Woody, Jessie, Buzz, Hamm and the gang come to life in amazing ways, immersing guests in the rich stories of the Pixar blockbuster Toy Story films.

A major ride based on Disney's classic The Little Mermaid comes to the park's Paradise Pier with leading-edge animation and special effects. Guests will dive into the magnificent scenes and magical songs from the movie. A Mermaid Grotto area with a fountain and sand castle will offer new play experiences for children.

Unique Nighttime Spectacular

The dramatic and unique Disney's World of Color will bring new nighttime excitement to Paradise Pier. This nightly panorama of spectacular water effects, colorful lighting and music will bring Disney animation to life with an entirely new creative and technical approach. The 9,000 person viewing area offers prime waterside viewing of the show - and provides a site for live entertainment, music festivals, and outdoor film premieres.

Entry Plaza and Gateway

The totally new gateway to Disney's California Adventure welcomes guests into an immersive world of historic California streets as Walt experienced them as a young artist arriving with big dreams.

A new visual icon in the tradition of Los Angeles, California's great entertainment palaces will draw guests into the heart of the attractions. This new facility, which was inspired by Los Angeles' historic Carthay Circle Theatre that premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, will house a next generation Walt Disney Story featuring an interactive tribute to Walt's California experiences, and his entertainment legacy that continues world-wide today. Red Car trolleys reminiscent of the old Pacific Electric Railway will travel up and down the main street. New dining and shopping experiences and a slate of unique, live entertainment will bring energy to the Walt Disney Plaza.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be a new home for a slate of special ticketed events and chances to hear first hand from innovative directors, writers and animators. An update of the popular family show "Playhouse Disney" will provide an experience for younger children.

Golden State

The "Golden State" area of the park will see the addition of numerous new dining opportunities tied to the incredible bounty of California's farmland and its rich ethnically diverse food heritage. Food and wine festivals that celebrate the seasons, tastes and cultures of the dynamic communities of the Golden State will entertain guests, bringing unique one-of-a-kind experiences.

Preview Center

A Preview Center located on San Francisco Street in the Golden State region of the park will feature models, Imagineering concepts - giving park guests a sneak peek at the excitement that lies ahead. The Preview Center is scheduled to open in late 2008.

About the Disneyland Resort:

Located on approximately 500 acres in Anaheim, Calif., the Disneyland Resort includes the Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure Parks, three hotels with approximately 2,200 rooms and the 310,000 square foot retail, restaurant and entertainment Downtown Disney District. With 20,000 employees, the Disneyland Resort is Orange County's largest single-site employer and a $3.6 billion annual contributor to the local economy. In January 2004, the Resort welcomed its 500 millionth guest since opening on July 17, 1955.

FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

Certain statements in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of our views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made and we do not undertake any obligation to update these statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from actions taken by the Company, including restructuring or strategic initiatives, as well as from developments beyond the Company's control, including international, political, health concern and military developments and changes in domestic and global economic conditions that may, among other things affect travel and leisure businesses generally. Additional factors are set forth in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2006 and in subsequent reports on Form 10-Q under Item 1A "Risk Factors."

Darkbeer
10-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Here is a quote from Blue Sky Disney dealing with the announcement and the timing regarding the SOAR issues...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/

Phase One is pretty much set in stone... soon to be in concrete. That doesn't mean that the Mouse will reveal all of them now. Only part of the plan will be revealed. The rest will come in an announcement earlier next year that focuses on the completion of this phase. Also around the beginning of the year will see more surprises about what's in store for the Resort in general. This has a lot to do with SOAR and Disney wants to keep spreading the good news about more and more plans the company has for Anaheim. This is all in an effort to show the community that there is much ahead over the next decade. Iger and the Board think that it's better to release it piece by piece so that the projects planned for the Resort appear more important if spread out over an extended time instead of all at once.

So expect a steady stream of Disney announcements over the next year or so concerning Anaheim.

ladodgerjon
10-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Uh-oh.

Anyone really spend some time reading the Disney press release?

To my way of thinking, they've made the announcement too soon-- there's an awful lot of half-baked ideas in that official statement.

Put another way, if this is the best they've got (with the exception of the mentioned "Cars Land"), we're all in store for Dismal California Adventure, version 2.

A "Unique Nighttime Spectacular" water show featuring colorful lighting?!? You've GOT to be kidding me. How very... um... 1973.

The tortilla-and-bread-making plant remains??? REALLY? The one part of the park you could roll-a-grenade-through-and-not-hit-a-soul (kids, don't try this at home), remains largely intact?!? Who the heck is doing their research?? Who in their right mind spends 66 bucks to watch a machine flatten corn meal?!? Am I alone here? I'm thinking 'where's my mine train ride through the grizzly mountain?' and Iger is giving me maze.

HOLLYWOOD PICTURES BACKLOT: they wanna hold workshops with writers and directors. Wow. Plastic folding chairs in an overheated conference room and a tacky dias of your favorite (but never heard of them before) Desperate Housewife staff scribes. So now DCA is the biggest, most fun version of The Learning Tree. Is this release for real? Did Iger read this pap before it was released? It sounds like a mid-level publicist wrote this drivel before it had the chance of being reviewed by Weis, Lasseter OR Iger. This whole document comes across like a boring travel pamphlet published by a podunk chamber of commerce.

I wince when Iger invokes Walt's name-- I don't believe their intent is true. In fact, I think it is an indicator that WDI is still grasping for TRUE solutions to an underwhelmed public response to DCA.

The bottom line is that DCA is "too off the shelf"-- not enough unique "DISNEY" ideas to ride approaches. What I'm seeing in this release is the mention of a lot of shops and restaurants, and not enough (except as stated above, regarding CARSLAND) fun and innovative attractions.

GOLDEN StATE: Sounds unchanged. read the release, you'll agree with me.

PREVIEW CENTER: As a kid I LOVED seeing models of "Discoveryland" and other proposed projects from WDI. That said, I fail to see how a small storefront crammed with posterboard models will drive ticket sales to 15 million. Hey, I kid... but is the best idea they have to forward to the public today?

Lastly, where was any mention of John Lasseter? Neither the LATimes, the Disney release or the WSJ mentioned him.

Iger is known throughout the town for being an affable -- yet uncreative -- guy. Without Lasseter -- a true storyteller & creative guy in the Walt mold -- the project is up a creek.

I get the impression that the creative teams have a LONG WAY to go before they plunge the first shovel into the soil. If they move too quickly, today's press release indicates that Disney is about to make another big blunder in the old parking lot.

oohykitten
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Okay I want the new Playhouse Disney show to open now please...it sounds like a great improvement to the resort.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Being one of the minority who actually likes most of DCA I find the new concepts very exciting. A new Walt Disney Story, cool, Little Mermaid ride, fantastic, Carsland, the kids will love it. Any improvement is a good thing, obviously it wasn't a great concept, maybe this time it will be a resounding success!

Niwel
10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Still no Great Movie Ride. :(
:Shana runs off to write a letter:

Tony
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Concept art is now available, along with the full press release here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=xx071017xx

stan4d_steph
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Cool! So does that mean they are scrapping the sun plaza for the new entry gateway?

I like the red cars!

Gone2Disneyland
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Uh-oh.

Anyone really spend some time reading the Disney press release?

To my way of thinking, they've made the announcement too soon-- there's an awful lot of half-baked ideas in that official statement.

I haven't read the entire Disney press release. But I assume most of the info was already reported (as rumor) on other Disney sites I've read over the past few months. If so, then I don't agree that many of them are "an awful lot of half-baked ideas".

A "Unique Nighttime Spectacular" water show featuring colorful lighting?!? You've GOT to be kidding me. How very... um... 1973.

If it's anything like I've read described on other sites, it might not be quite as unflattering as you make expect it to be. So I'm waiting to see before passing judgment.

The tortilla-and-bread-making plant remains??? REALLY? The one part of the park you could roll-a-grenade-through-and-not-hit-a-soul (kids, don't try this at home), remains largely intact?!? Who the heck is doing their research?? Who in their right mind spends 66 bucks to watch a machine flatten corn meal?!? Am I alone here? I'm thinking 'where's my mine train ride through the grizzly mountain?' and Iger is giving me maze.

I agree with you that this area is generally boring. But from what I've read, it was the price to pay in order to get anything done to begin with. Once they've poured through their billion dollar allotment, I assume they'll address this area again at that time.

The bottom line is that DCA is "too off the shelf"-- not enough unique "DISNEY" ideas to ride approaches. What I'm seeing in this release is the mention of a lot of shops and restaurants, and not enough (except as stated above, regarding CARSLAND) fun and innovative attractions.

GOLDEN StATE: Sounds unchanged. read the release, you'll agree with me.

We're seeing different things. I don't see it as bad as you do. And yes, the Golden State isn't changing right now. But other sites have said it's not for lack of trying (claims are that Grizzly Peak's infrastructure wasn't designed to handle retrofitting new elements they were hoping to add without re-building the whole thing all over again).

PREVIEW CENTER: As a kid I LOVED seeing models of "Discoveryland" and other proposed projects from WDI. That said, I fail to see how a small storefront crammed with posterboard models will drive ticket sales to 15 million. Hey, I kid... but is the best idea they have to forward to the public today?

No, silly, it's not the best idea they have. A "small storefront" obviously 15 million in sales does not make. It's one more feature to the construction walls going up, so folks who do not regularly visit MousePad and other Disney message boards like we crazy nuts too ;) will hopefully get jazzed about seeing the models and the plans and make plans to return over the next few years.

Lastly, where was any mention of John Lasseter? Neither the LATimes, the Disney release or the WSJ mentioned him.

Iger is known throughout the town for being an affable -- yet uncreative -- guy. Without Lasseter -- a true storyteller & creative guy in the Walt mold -- the project is up a creek.

I get the impression that the creative teams have a LONG WAY to go before they plunge the first shovel into the soil. If they move too quickly, today's press release indicates that Disney is about to make another big blunder in the old parking lot.

Lassetter is not necessarily the end-all be-all to help "sell" this announcement to the majority of WSJ and LA Times readers. And I would argue that general readers don't know Iger from Lassetter. But, better they get it from President Iger than Eisner tho', eh?

I'm hopeful for the direction they're taking. Obviously it'll take some time to make all the changes. But the big plus in all this is no more Denial. DCA, from a business standpoint, needs to be fixed, and Disney is finally publicing admitting it and also not holding back on the purse strings to make an attempt to do it.

Tony
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Cool! So does that mean they are scrapping the sun plaza for the new entry gateway?

That's what it looks like. Of course, subject to change at any time (TM).

Doodle Duck
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Regarding the Night Time Spectacular...there are some sketches and more info over in Al Lutz columns of the past few anyway. Talk of the Nighttime show possibly costing 75 grand PER NIGHT and it being the biggest thing on the planet. They can't do Pyro but the show design sure does look like a biggie and more than a shrug and a yawn.

I hope I live long enough to see it all...must get some rest...

:-)

olegc
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I think the press release does not do justice to some of the explanations that have appeared on other insider sites. ladodgerjon - you should check those out for some deeper explanations.

yes - it's all talk right about now but there is no "poof" in creating some of this stuff. The events in the backlot go back to a polular trend at WDW that brings in regulars - especially if they are annually timed so you get people travelling on a regular basis to the rest.

The food and wine festival idea will grow - but I think this is the one area (bountiful farms) that they have not put alot of time in becuase Flik's is already a major portion of that part of the park - and what to do with the small area that is the farm equipment and water fountains.

I noticed that there was ZERO discussion of GRR and changes there, along with retheming of the Condor flats area to be more like the GRR area. And they did not talk about Muppets leaving and Philharmagic coming in (as rumored).

Finally - don't sell the water show short. from descriptions pre-released it sounds like a third-generation on the Belagio shows - which much more technology and music tie-ins. I think it will be great.

I would think the reason there is no lasseter in the announcement is this was a Corporate press release. So - only Iger, Jay, and Ed (hey -was that really Ed?) are quoted. Not Even Bob Weis was mentioned (head imagineer for DCA - hope I have the name right). I think it's strictly an official way to acknowledge things are coming so you will see a lot of changes. It's multiple years (think 2011 until fully complete) so there does not need to be a ton of detail right now.

stan4d_steph
10-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Regarding the Night Time Spectacular...there are some sketches and more info over in Al Lutz columns of the past few anyway.If those are the concept art sketches, they're in the press release that Tony linked to above.

VickiC
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
My oldest was born in 1999. Going to DCA and getting a tortilla is as much a tradition for her as getting a Fantasia cone was for some of you. I hope the tortillas don't go the way of the ice cream, because we love the tortillas!

Manteca!

oregontraveler
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM

I like the red cars!

The sun plaza is gone with the new timeline theme. The red car line is supposed to take guests to other parts of the park, not just the "Main Street" area. I didn't see anything about Golden Dreams being relocated.
If The Little Mermaid goes in there and the new interactive Walt Disney
Theater is up front now. I don't think they have any room left for Whoopi.

I'm trying to visualze the new Cars land area. Is it going to take over the Lion King lot by TOT or somewhere else?

Aside from the new attractions we pretty much knew about, i'm not that impressed with the press release, seemed very confusing. Alot of hype, not much bite.