PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Appreciation Thread

Pages : [1] 2

neverlander
10-16-2007, 04:37 PM
As you may have heard, it sounds like Oscar from Carnation Cafe is retiring. So many people have been touched by his contact with guests and have enjoyed his delicious fares.
Feel free to tell your story. Let him know how much you appreciate his years at Disneyland, and what that has meant to you.
The goal is to pass these messages on to him upon retirement.
Here's to you, Oscar!

MauiMickey
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
It was always a highlight to be greeted by you when we visited the Carnation Cafe. You were a great ambassador for Disneyland!

Best wishes on your well-deserved retirement, Oscar! :)

houseofmouse
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Our family loves Oscar! He always came over and chatted with us. Gave us smiles for pictures too! Once we were waiting outside the restraunt and he came over and said oh are you wanting more? He chatted with us for a few minutes and had us cracking up. He is a really nice man who deserves to have a great retirement but we will miss seeing him there!! :crying: :)

Mickeygirlforever
10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Oscar is the spirit of Carnation! He always made it a fun and inviting atmosphere. He deserves it. Thanks for the great time Oscar!

The Evil Queen
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
We had the pleasure of meeting Oscar at the Carnation Cafe Wednesday morning at breakfast. Such a delightful man! I took the advice of fellow padders and requested the recipe for the Loaded Potato Soup. I was even lucky enough to have it autographed. Oscar also brought my son a birthday desert (yes, cake for breakfast ;)) and lead the Happy Birthday song. What a joy to have met this kind and wonderful man... :)

BQ2
10-23-2007, 05:26 AM
We never, ever go to Disneyland without visiting the Carnation Cafe. Seeing Oscar's warm friendly face is like coming home. He is like family! Thanks for all the good memories and the great food Oscar! WE will miss you!!

BQ2
San Diego

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/oscar101607.jpg

MrsPooh
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
We were in DL in August, for my birthday. We went to Carnation Cafe, and Oscar was there. He took my hand in both of his and wished me a happy birthday. He is such a sweetie. He brought over some princess stickers for me, it was too cute!

Afterwards, we just had to have our picture taken with him, and he was gracious to pose with us.

Happy retirement, Oscar. You will be missed. Carnation Cafe will not be the same without you!

cirquelover
10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
In some ways I am sad that Oscar is retiring. He was always a part of all of our Disneyland trips. He was always warm, caring and funny too!

I just love the food at Carnation Cafe and I give the credit to Oscar and his wonderful team! Chef Toby was wonderful in communications with me via email and I really apprecited it!

I will still eat at Carnation every trip but it just won't be the same without seeing Oscar and his smiling face!

Have a great retirement Oscar! You deserve much peace and hapiness for all you have done for all of us!!! Good luck and take care, sir!!

So , when is he retiring? I would like to try to convince the husband to book a trip before he leaves!

neverlander
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Oscar, you will be missed by many. From the frequent visitors who seek you out to the less-traveled vacationers who come across you by chance, it has been a treat for all who have encountered your kind soul.

When we first visited Carnation Cafe in 2005, we were touched by your stop at our table. You shared a bit of your history from your years at Disneyland and seemed genuinely happy to interact with the guests at all the tables. We remembered your name, your face, and later learned that you are a Disneyland icon (and celebrity!).

On our last visit, we were lucky enough to encounter you again. You were so sweet to inquire about our lunch. We watched you make your rounds, making each group or couple feel special with your attention and conversation.

Your fare is delicious, and your interactions with the guests top off a wonderful meal.

Thank you for making the Disney magic, "magic." It's people like you who make a difference in this world. I hope your years to come are the best ever.

Best wishes,
Kathleen

disneyjunkie
11-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I am so glad to have met Oscar at our last trip on Oct 28th, I cannot believe that I who have gone to the park for 50 years never met this wonderful man before or eaten at Carnation Plaza... unless just maybe I did so as a child . I was amazed at the good food , everyone at the table commented that it was the best breakfast in the park, and that Oscar was so warm and friendly. My dh got the best picture that I have to post when time permitting of Oscar. He is standing by a window talking to some guest and his reflection is also shown in the window ( speaking of windows no one is more deserving of a Main Street Window than Oscar) from what I saw and heard he IS Main St ) . He visited with us , took pictures and gave us recipies. Most importantly he was the prime example of what DL is about! So how do they give out those windows on Main St? How do we as the guest get him one???
It needs to be by carnation ,possible inside the courtyard where my dh took his picture , or above the Blue Ribbon Bakery, all it needs to say is "Oscar" that says it all.

neverlander
01-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know about Oscar's current employment/retirement status? I will do what I can to deliver these messages to him.

I'm wondering if there are any additional messages that people want to impart...

Also, is there a local, informed person out there reading who may have means to forward these messages to Oscar?

Thank you.

disneyjunkie
01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
After watching Disneyland Secrets, Stories.......and seeing the segment with Oscar , I think DL.. at least Tony Baxter, Lasseter... must realize and appreciate the years of excellent heartfelt service that Oscar has provided. I believe I read somewhere that he was retiring at the end of March I could have also imagined that. Anyway seeing that the resort seems to think highly of him maybe City Hall can be of assistance to get messages to him to recognize his retirement.

PanFan
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I ate there about a month ago and he said he would be retiring in March. I got a great picture of him face-to-face with my 5mo niece!

Squeaky
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
It's always so exciting to see Oscar walking around Carnation, interacting with the guests! We got to meet Oscar about a year ago. He was so very nice!! It will be sad to see Oscar go, but he deserves a relaxing retirement! I'm sure retirement wont keep him far from Disneyland!! ;)

disneyjunkie
03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
So once again I need to be refreshed on how to post pictures. We got a great picture of Oscar in October right in front of the window that I had in mind for "his " window in the cafe and it as his reflection in the window . I would like to have my dh photoshop it with Oscar's name and post it and maybe someone can get it to him as a retirement gift, or possible send it to City Hall and possibly they would pass it on. First refresh my memory on posting pics.

Drince88
03-02-2008, 05:55 AM
First refresh my memory on posting pics.

The easiest way now is to use your "My Photo Album" here on MousePlanet. In the top blue bar, about in the center, is a link.

LdyApxr
03-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I have never had the pleasure of meeting Oscar but we do love eating at the Carnation Cafe and hopefully he will still be there in a couple of weeks as we come through. We have never been disappointed with the food or service at Carnation and I would like to meet him and thank him for his dedication and get that recipe for Loaded Baked Potato soup!

danyoung
03-03-2008, 09:06 AM
So now I read that he's postponed his retirement indefinitely! Great - I've never had the privilege of meeting the man, and may get to do so this spring!

MrsPooh
03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I saw Oscar when we were there a few weeks ago, and it was wonderful because the park was quiet and we got him to ourselves! He stood and chatted with us for awhile, and then came back to chat more. It was awesome!

He had a picture in his pocket of when he first came to LA, and man, was he handsome! ;)

He told us then that he wasn't sure when he would retire, the economy being what it is, he's being cautious. Completely understandable.

I got some signed copies of the soup recipe, one of which I still have to send to it's intended recipient! ;)

houseofmouse
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear he is staying. :) Hope he is there this summer when we will be there.:) He is such a nice guy.

carnation dave
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I had the opportunity to work with Oscar some 30 years ago. He taught me how to cook and prepare the carnation meals. He was kind and patient and fun-loving. Same as today.

In November, my family met him and we took pictures. He is a very special person.

Oscar thank you for the memories and the hints in the kitchen. May you live long and bless other's lives too.

neverlander
08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I'll print this thread and take it with me to the parks next week. (We have three PS times at Carnation Cafe!) I was just wondering if there's anything else anyone wants to add since this thread has been buried for awhile. Sorry for the bump, but I thought a rejuvination may elicit some more responses. Thanks.

ETA: Should I hold off on bringing this since he's not retiring yet? Does anyone know if there is a set date for that?

dsny1mom
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
As far back as July 2005 Oscar was telling guests that he was going to retire within the year. Here we are 3 years later and he's still there. Print and take the thread along, I'm sure he'd get a kick out of seeing it.

dsny1mom

jazzysmom
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I absolutely LOVE this dear man!

Here is my favorite pic with him...hope you guys can see it!
Isn't he the cutest thing ever?!?

MrsPooh
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Here's Me and Oscar (http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/LadyKC67/Disneyland1-08603.jpg)

He's so photogenic, you can totally see his personality in the pictures. He's such a sweetheart! ;)

I just love this photo. ;)

jazzysmom, love your picture too!