PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Tortilla Jo's?

Bytebear
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
We love[d] Tortilla Joe's. Even when there was a long line for the dining room, we would go around to the side patio where another hostess station was, and we would get a patio table right away. Well, the last two times we have gone (today and last Saturday), we saw the gate to the patio closed and when we inquired about a table on the patio, the hostess said the wait was 25-30 minutes. What was odd was that there was no crowd, no line of customers, and there was only one table occupied on the patio. It was also quite early for dinner (around 3:30ish).

So what gives?

We decided to give our business to Ranco Del Zoccolo instead (no line, good food, AP discount and no tipping). We did miss having chips and salsa though, and more variety.

mynameisearl
10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I am not sure exactly what is going on at Tortilla Joes. But as someone who has been in the restaurant business for many years I may have an explanation.

After the Summer rush, restaurants usually slow down quite a bit and cut back on their wait staff, hours, sections, etc.

TJ's may have only had a handful of servers at the time you arrived and needed to wait until another server arrived before opening up the patio section. Most servers have a maximum amount of tables in their section to allow them to give good service to everyone.

People are always wondering why there is a wait when there is no line and empty tables all around. It is usually because there is a limited wait staff.

Hopefully this helps! A manager might have a good explanation for what is going on as well.

:)

tigger08
10-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I sure hope that they aren't going to close it town. I'm really looking forward to eating there in April with the family. I've never tried it and heard is great and not to exspensive but with 4 boys and a hubby everything is exspensive lol.

K & S
10-15-2007, 11:10 AM
We love[d] Tortilla Joe's. Even when there was a long line for the dining room, we would go around to the side patio where another hostess station was, and we would get a patio table right away. Well, the last two times we have gone (today and last Saturday), we saw the gate to the patio closed and when we inquired about a table on the patio, the hostess said the wait was 25-30 minutes. What was odd was that there was no crowd, no line of customers, and there was only one table occupied on the patio. It was also quite early for dinner (around 3:30ish).

So what gives?

We decided to give our business to Ranco Del Zoccolo instead (no line, good food, AP discount and no tipping). We did miss having chips and salsa though, and more variety.

I'd miss the margueritas.

;)

Lanmon
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
We have dined Tortilla Joe's 5-6 times and every time there were problems...cold food, stale chips, salsa having broken chips, sticky tables and floors, poor service, dirty/messy waiters. We have sent comment cards and have received an apology twice. We have received a complimentary dinner from management in hopes of having us changing our minds. That particular meals was very good but the following meals were not. So, am I surprised that TJ may be closing? No.

Bytebear
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
TJs is not closing (as far as I know), but their service has gone down in the last 6 months. I was simply wondering if anyone else has noticed the change, and if there was a change in management, procedures or something similar.

cstephens
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I haven't eaten in the Cantina in a while, but we had dinner in the dining room not too long ago, and service was actually quite good. They still have those blasted glasses, but apparently, that's the way Joachim wants it.

bloodnswash
10-16-2007, 05:46 AM
I have only eaten here once...back in January 2006. I got sick from my meal. That was no fun. :crying:

backsthepack
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't be sad to see it go. It is like "pretend" Mexican food to me. I was hoping for something great when we went there, even gave them a second chance, only to be sad because the food was awful.

GrumpyUTboi
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
"hoping the food would be good"? The food at DL is ave to say the least. I have never eaten there because of the crowds.

Gone2Disneyland
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
i went to the Taqueria for the first time after MouseAdventure this past Sunday, exactly because we were told it was a 25-minute wait for indoors. Never eaten there before, and I was pretty happy with the chicken torta I ordered. My friend said the meat in her carne asada burrito was tough and chewy tho'. The soft tacos I saw at other people's tables looked good too.

kiki
10-18-2007, 07:23 AM
OMG!!! I had the worst experience there. I went in July for my family vacation. We had a large party( see avatar and add 3 more adults) so I expected to have a long wait to be seated. We were seated indoors in a balcony which was great, lots of kids and a lot of seclusion. But the utensils were so dirty that I could tell what the last person ate, and it wasnt like just one was dirty, but the whole table was dirty. The staff was slow(it took 30 min just to get our order taken), the chips were stale, and when we finaly got our food, it was cold so I really could not tell if the food was good. We sent a letter and got an apology. I dont know if the counter service is better, but I know I will never eat in doors again.

yellowrosedtxn
10-18-2007, 07:30 AM
I have never eaten inside the restaurant only at the take out window. It was good. We go there at least once or twice when we go there because the food is inexpensive and you get a lot.

bloodnswash
10-19-2007, 05:22 AM
OMG!!! I had the worst experience there. I went in July for my family vacation. We had a large party( see avatar and add 3 more adults) so I expected to have a long wait to be seated. We were seated indoors in a balcony which was great, lots of kids and a lot of seclusion. But the utensils were so dirty that I could tell what the last person ate, and it wasnt like just one was dirty, but the whole table was dirty. The staff was slow(it took 30 min just to get our order taken), the chips were stale, and when we finaly got our food, it was cold so I really could not tell if the food was good. We sent a letter and got an apology. I dont know if the counter service is better, but I know I will never eat in doors again.

Ya know what, I had dirty silverware too. Thanks for reminding me...I think. ;)

kikid
10-20-2007, 06:45 AM
We just ate at TJoe's on Thursday evening. Our party of '3' ordered margaritas and guacamole--delicious-- we also ordered full dinners--delicious--Service was great...no complaints here.
BTW this would be my 5th time eating at this establishment and I've never been dissapointed.:)

fluffatu
10-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I have eaten there countless time and have never had a bad experience with food or atmosphere.

I have never even gotten close to getting sick from their food (maybe the Mexican food was too spicy? Or the beans....:confused:)

And the mojitos are pretty close to the best I have had (and I consider myself a bit of a mojito freak).

Everyone I know has not had a bad experience there, either, including my borderline OCD clean freak mother!