PDA

View Full Version : what would you remove from ...

Pages : [1] 2

jason
07-24-2002, 06:13 AM
if you could wave your magic wand ....what would you remove from the parks ? for myself it has to be Its a small world , i just don't get it , it takes up so much space , is slow moving , and , do it once and your good for a year !
i'd like to see some sort of outdoor play area , maybe a water park for the kids .

socabch
07-24-2002, 07:13 AM
I assume you mean both parks so that's what my answer will wb based on. Number one thing to remove is the carnival games at DCA. If they want a carnie boardwalk atmosphere, put in some mazes and a funny mirror house or a mock Guinees (sp) museum that people could walk though (for free).

merlinjones
07-24-2002, 07:27 AM
Disneyland:

Innoventions
New Tomorrowland design and color scheme
Starcade
Nasa Exhibit
Observatron
Club Buzz
Tomorrowland murals
Cosmic Waves
Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Gadget's Go-Coaster
Fantasyland Theatre
Small World Way light and sound towers
Iron grate/lock inside the Wishing Well

DCA:

Entrance murals
Golden Gate (move to SF area)
Superstar Limo
Mullholland Madness
Farm exhibit
Bird poop island in the bay
Golden Dreams (the movie not the theatre)
Hollywood and Dine
Condor Flats sign
This way to Grizzly Mtn billboard
Power lines
Ugly cut out bees in Stinger
Tugboat
Boot camp structure
Carnival games
Ugly drop tower
Paradise Pier Hotel

jason
07-24-2002, 07:43 AM
holy moly merlin - i agree with you the bird poop ilsnd has to go ( what do they use it for anyway ?!) but what do you have against the murals and colors .... some long forgotten finger painting episode ?

Cooie
07-24-2002, 09:51 AM
From Dland, I'd axe Innoventions. Even things like HISTA have a bit of entertainment value that's beyond the norm, but Innoventions... y'all know. I won't be saying anything that hasn't been said before about the Circut City comparisons.

From DCA, it sounds like my top choice -- Superstar Limo -- is already gone, so I'd have to go with Bountiful Valley Farms. I don't really see the purpose of having a garden there, as I think the theming of the area works without it.

goofey
07-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Weren't the four Small World Mall light towers originally constructed for Light Magic? Those definitely need to come down; they serve no practical puropse anymore. As for the parade light towers on Small World Mall, I think they need the Small World ornamentation so that they don't look so plain like the parade lighting by the Matterhorn.

My guess about the bird poop island in Paradise Bay is that it was constructed for LuminAria, and it covers something that they decided was too difficult/costly to remove, assuming they do bring back LuminAria. I think it looks stupid, too.

I agree that a lot of the new TL needs to go; they should never have gotten rid of PeopleMover, Submarine Voyage, CircleVision, or Rocket Jets. Likewise, they should never have added Inno or HISTA. Rocket Rods was a good idea in theory, but it didn't come out very well. Call me crazy, but I'd love to see Captain EO again. And they should never have turned TLT into Club Buzz.....that show irritates me. I do still enjoy the old attractions that survived the makeover: Auto, Space, and Tours. I have yet to see, however, the practical purpose of the Observatron. Has anyone noticed that they play the soundtrack to the Observatron show as area music in Condor Flats? No joke!

More things that need to go: The area music in Sunshine Plaza and Paradise Pier, and the female announcer voice in DCA. The runway lights on Condor Flats. If most of them aren't working, what's the point of keeping the rest running? A lot of the "atmosphere talent" also needs to go.

innerSpaceman
07-24-2002, 09:59 AM
I will go with everything on MerlinJones' list (MJ always gives great list).

For Disneyland, I will add: Toontown

For DCA, I will add: . . . (on second thought, if I had a magic removal wand, nothing would be left standing)

merlinjones
07-24-2002, 10:44 AM
>>what do you have against the murals and colors .... some long forgotten finger painting episode ?<<

I think that's how they got those New Tomorrowland colors: fingerpainting - - without paint - - using some organic substitution... ;)

>>I will go with everything on MerlinJones' list (MJ always gives great list).<<

Let's have a drink sometime and add to the list!

>>For Disneyland, I will add: Toontown<<

Only thing we disagree on - - I like Toontown. In fact I'd like to see it expanded with an Unca Scrooge Money Bin and a Mickey dark ride (Beanstalk perhaps?).

>> For DCA, I will add: . . . (on second thought, if I had a magic removal wand, nothing would be left standing)<<

I will help you with this one, buddy.

goofey
07-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Remove the Electrical Parade from DCA and bring it back to DL.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-24-2002, 11:43 AM
DL: All evidence that the Rocket Rods ever existed. (Which would, of course, restore both the Peoplemover and CircleVision.)

DCA: The Mission Tortilla Fiasco (replace it with something not quite so embarrassing).
Hollywood & Dine, SSL, and a large chunk of queue-space for the largely-redundant Lion King tram (all that should make just enough room for a scaled-down version of GMR from Florida).
Taste Pilots' Grill (a hamburger joint doesn't need to be that big, particularly with the bizarre variations they're selling; replace it with a simulator ride based on research flight-test).
Mulholland Mistake (there's off-the-shelf, and there's embarrassingly off-the-shelf!), along with much of the rest of the North end of Paradise Pier and the whole west end of the winery (expand Bay Area, and add one or more cable car themed attractions).

MousePlanet:
All those columns from Al (and MousePad postings) that do nothing but <five-letter word for a female canid that can also be used as an expletive> about DCA.:p

tinkfreak
07-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by jason
for myself it has to be Its a small world

Yeah, but the kids love it. My two year old nephew has been heartbroken every time we can't ride it (down for rehab).

Pony Sugrue
07-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jason
if you could wave your magic wand ....what would you remove from the parks ? for myself it has to be Its a small world , i just don't get it , it takes up so much space , is slow moving , and , do it once and your good for a year !
i'd like to see some sort of outdoor play area , maybe a water park for the kids .

I go to DL like once a week and I never go in SMALL WORLD except maybe when I have visiting guests... but I'd hate to see it go away. Not only does it mean so much in its message, but it is a great time capsule of that MARY BLAIR period in DL's timeline. I almost feel the same way about TIKI. I don't go in it too often either, but it's nice to know it is there w/ all its old-school Disney glory.

goofey
07-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Granted, I hate the Small World song, and I often use the Jungle Cruise joke that we throw abandoned children in there as punishment, but what would DL be without It's A Small World? I always take visitors there when I sign them into the park, regardless of age, and all of them like it. A lot of people look disappointed when I tell them that Small World is down for the day.

johnnyrad
07-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Parents with kids.... too much space killer

coronamouseman
07-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Take out the old Huncback FOV area and the old Swiss Skyway bldg and replace them with an indoor coaster looping around an AA dragon housed in a very bleak and foreboding castle housed on a hill surrounded by burned out forests and vegetation ........

tinkfreak
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by johnnyrad
Parents with kids.... too much space killer

And that is supposed to mean what ?

Bill Catherall
07-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Please don't feed the trolls.

Nothing to see here. Move along. ;)

thekirk
07-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Why do you guys hate Innoventions? It's what Walt Disney was all about.....he looked into the future, wanted things to be better, and advanced....I say they should update it, not kick it out!

I don't like Small World much, but wasn't Walt alive when it was built? Anything that Walt helped with should remain in the park. I think we are too quick to forget the man who started it all! God bless him! (but, if Walt wasn't alive when Small World was around.....trash it!)

Gauchograd99
07-24-2002, 08:09 PM
I think the major problem with Innoventions is the fact that NOTHING there is really that innovating. In order for it to be innovating they would have to constantly change it. The computers they showcase are behind the times, the health area tells you nothing innovating, and GM is only trying to get their name out there as market share for them is hideous. If they really wanted to be innovating, they should bring the concept cars from the auto shows and showcase them there.

As I wave my wand over the park, the following... DISAPPEAR!
- New Pooh Ride (doesn't fit, they are already in litigation and want to push it farther, and took out the ONLY tie they had to the new movie even if they are nothing alike)
- It's a Small World (sorry, been there and done that... needs an update or to be removed)
- Tomorrowland (shutter, destroy, and rebuild please!)
- Lagoon (put the subs in, or make it a massive bumper boat area... ANYTHING!)

I will not get into DCA as I don't wish to beat a dead park. :)

thekirk
07-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Gauchograd99, give the Pooh ride some credit. You haven't even been on it yet. The Country Bears will be missed, but they still are alive in Orlando, where they started. I think you should look positivly on the Pooh ride, even though it hurts to see a classic go.

Gauchograd99
07-24-2002, 09:17 PM
I am looking at this from two different angles and neither makes sense... from a business sense they (Disney) have litigation against them for copyright issues and they will have to pay huge sums to build this. In this process they have failed to assist their film and tie it into the park (all for income) and are spending a ton for a new attraction with nothing in the way of new innovation in the forcast. It just does not make smart business sense... especially if they lost the Pooh copyright. Imagine a show building being left like a lot of Tomorrowland... empty.
Now from the fan basis: I personally see no need or use for a Fantasyland ride in Critter Country especially since there are 2 lands that are basically children based. Toontown is all about kids and Fantasyland can be enjoyed by all, but at the same time Pooh is a fantasy character and should be there. I lost interest in Pooh when I turned 6 or 7. Disney has taken what could have been a great site for anything along the line of Critters and put in something that will be child oriented. What is there for adults in this attraction?

My point is that attractions at the park should be for EVERYONE (see DCA for proof of this). Wave the magic wand and dump Pooh before it starts.

JTEMM66
07-25-2002, 09:21 AM
HOW ABOUT....MICHAEL EISNER, PAUL PRESSLER AND ANNE H?????THAT WOULD BE A GREAT START....WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Not Afraid
07-25-2002, 09:35 AM
This is part personal preference and part pratical use of space....but I wouldn't mind if Autopia bit the dust (or was moved to DCA). But.....only IF the do something wonderful with the existing (huge) space and the rest of tomorrowland. If that can't or won't be done, then, nevermind.

zapppop
07-25-2002, 10:03 AM
I love It's A Small World, music and all, and would never remove it. I would give the AA's and the scenery an update and re-record the music again but never get rid of it.

Things in Disneyland that really need to go:

ToonTown - too much upkeep, few rides and not very entertaining for adults. (note: The space where Roger Rabbit is located was originally going to be used for the Little Mermaid dark ride)

Innoventions - FLAT OUT BORING ! ( note: this the reason why we lost the submarines in the lagoon; to free up funding )

Honey I Shrunk The Audience - Not nearly as stylish, entertaining or memorable as Captain EO.

Those are my top 3

Gemini Cricket
07-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
ToonTown - too much upkeep, few rides and not very entertaining for adults. (note: The space where Roger Rabbit is located was originally going to be used for the Little Mermaid dark ride)
I think they should either utilize or remove the upper track area above the Car Toon Spin Ride. I keep looking at that area hoping they'd extend the ride... they should put planters there or something. Don't get my hopes up. :D

zapppop- I heard it wasn't so much of a dark ride, but the Mermaid show from WDW.

To add some:
-Evict Tarzan and bring back the Robinsons.
-Evict Innoventions and put another E-ticket there.
:)