PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Your Special Spot?

mkyears
07-23-2002, 10:05 PM
MINE is in the grand california hotel there is a balcony where you can look over the pool and DCA it's great and holds alot of great memories with friends
What's Your Favorite SPOT?

Ace
07-23-2002, 10:14 PM
I saw the title and I was going to say "How stupid, the answer for everyone's going to be the DLR" but I think that this thread actually hasn't been done before (or I'm just tired.)

Mine: Watching Chickapin Hill, or at that bread bowl place watching the ROA.

Gemini Cricket
07-23-2002, 10:15 PM
There's a dark tunnel area before the ship battle in Pirates that's particularly special to me. ;) In the back row of our boat, I received a kiss from someone very special there. :) And that's all I'm going to say...

Andrew
07-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Sadly, many of my "special spots" have been paved over or otherwise destroyed in the last five or so years.

The seating area under the PeopleMover ramp, the rounded concrete bench built into the planter outside Tomorrowland, the Disneyland Hotel garden bungalows... all gone.

Snow White's Wishing Well is still there, albeit with the cheesy fake wood arch. At least the fish have been working lately!

The two courtyards between shops in New Orleans Square are amazingly still there, though one of them has been mostly taken over by the adjacent shop.

Is the old Motorboat Cruise dock still publicly accessible? That was a great place to relax on a hot day, especially after the additional trees and landscaping with the Light Magic viewing area.

That's all I can think of right now.

Gemini Cricket
07-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
The two courtyards between shops in New Orleans Square are amazingly still there, though one of them has been mostly taken over by the adjacent shop.
I find these courtyards special as well. A great place to take pictures.
Does anyone know if these two areas have official names?
I'd like to know.
They're definitely special spots.
:)

cobrabubblesjr
07-23-2002, 10:44 PM
....okay, novice poster alert.

My favorite spots (romantically and nostalgically, natch) at Disneyland are as follows:

1. The little patio behind the Disney Gallery. I usually smuggle my lunch there, and it's a great spot to chill out. It's also fun to speculate who else may have hidden out there.

2. The Little Mermaid's photo spot. I've been able to take pictures of my girlfriend(s) there after the CMs leave...is that spot still open at night?

3. The Hub itself. I usually will hang out here on the benches for a few minutes, looking at the statues and castle and getting misty-eyed. It's a great spot....even if the statue stuff wasn't there in the 'good old days'.

.....I'm at a loss for more. I gotta go back, and soon.

MammaSilva
07-23-2002, 10:52 PM
hmmm great question.... several answers for several reasons....the drawbride and tunnel into fantasyland....I had the pleasure of taking my younger brother and his family for their first visit to the park, thinking the boys would prefer 'action' to 'magic' I took them on the range run....all the mountains....the oldest was about 12 at the time, they enjoyed the coasters but when dark fell and we walked across the bridge into the tunnel with fantasyland all aglow I watched my brothers face as he watched his children absorb that disney magic....priceless!

second fav spot....has to be the courtyards in NoS....I love the one outside of the Gallery, and the ones just tucked away are wonderful for a brief moment of peace and quiet....

third fav spot....the little area with the fountain in front of HM....fun fun fun spot to people watch :) I have more but that's enough for this thread :)

madamemortem
07-24-2002, 01:20 AM
:p The waterfalls over at the Hotel and the queue area for Snow White ( its the first place my hubby ever held my hand)

DisneyFreak2000
07-24-2002, 01:26 AM
For me, I'd have to say:
1) Walking down Hollywood Bouldvard in HPB. That whole effect and the theming there is incredible and I love just hanging out on that classy looking street eating lunch or something

2) The entrance plaza. It's just like the entrance into two great realms right across from each other

3) The freeway. I love going to Disneyland, and always (on the 57 I think it is or 90 something) always looking out for a glimpse of the Resort. Always seeing signs for Lincoln Ave and thinking Im almost there and then looking out seeing a) the Matterhorn b) The Maliboomer c) GRR d) Screamin' e) the Hotels (in that order by the way :))

merlinjones
07-24-2002, 05:37 AM
1) The deck of the Captain Hook pirate ship during fireworks (now gone)

2) The Skyway as the Electrical Parade passed under (now gone)

3) The Tahitian Terrace firedancing spectacular (now gone)

4) The Rocket Jets at night, soaring high over the lights of Dl and Anaheim (now gone)

5) The Wishing well

6) Mark Twain at night

7) Back porch of Hungry Bear

8) The castle courtyard with TinkerBell and fireworks overhead

9) The Enchanted Tiki Room

LibraryGirl
07-24-2002, 08:41 AM
1. the courtyard behind the Disney Gallery. It's so wonderful to relax there.

2. the first downward sweep over London on Peter Pan's Flight (I too got a special kiss on that ride)

3. a little courtyard bewteen 2 stores in New Orleans Square. It had a bench and a little wall fountain. I was there 2 times on a trip about 4 years ago... not sure if it's still there

4. inside the Disney Animation foyer at DCA watching all the "making of" stills and finished products. I am lost in the moment there!

5. Snow White's well.. it brings so many happy memories back to me.

chalkboy8
07-24-2002, 08:54 AM
The talkin' skull part on Pirates.

Skull Rock (now gone)

Hades on Mr. Toad

The restaurant in Main St. that had strawberry coke.

cyberRoo
07-24-2002, 09:44 AM
the brass spike that marks the original center of DL.

and I actually have oddly fond memories of sitting on the sidewalk on main street for hours and hours, on my birthday, waiting for the stupid Disneyana store to reopen because the boy wanted to buy some stupid pin - and this was before pins were a big deal.

You would think there would be more, but we very rarely settle down in a spot when we're in the park. Even if we're just hanigng out, we're always on the move.

Cooie
07-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Me, my honey, one of those seats on the castle drawbridge, a Mousepretzel with cheese, a cherry Coke, right at closing as everyone is filing down main street to exit the park.

DLfreak
07-24-2002, 10:32 AM
I'd say my absolute favorite place is at the end of the day, sitting at the end of Main Street (when the piano guy is playing) people watching. :) The porch on Main Street is also a good place. ;)

Pony Sugrue
07-24-2002, 12:12 PM
In no particular order:

1. That little back path that goes along the river from Critter Country over the SPLASH MTN flume and out next to the Fowler's Landing/MCD's.

2. Going back behind the east side of the fort on "Tom Sawyer" next to the water where you can hear the "Chief" telling stories across the river.

3. Below Decks on the Columbia

4. That path behind BIG THUNDER at night.

4. Coming out into the battle scene in "Pirates"

5. The Main Ballroom scene in "Haunted Mansion"

disneyscott
07-24-2002, 12:27 PM
The front of the line at any ride

johnnyrad
07-24-2002, 12:41 PM
I barfed on teacups once... that was special.

Disney Darlin'
07-24-2002, 03:20 PM
My spot is the porch next to Guest Relations. Hardly anyone's there and it's a nice spot to watch parades but I like to sit there around closing time as everyone leaves. I like to see everyone leaving with all there souvenirs looking tired but happy. My other spots are anything with shade, a breeze and a good view for people watching

Gauchograd99
07-24-2002, 07:55 PM
I guess this should have been called "Special Spots" hehe

No particular order as they are all nice:

1) A bench looking out over NOS where it can be so nice and peaceful at times.
2) Standing at the piano with Rod singing along with a true Disney CM at heart... especially right at closing.
3) The castle drawbridge where I can be Walt for a Minute (especially on foggy or rainy mornings).
4) Pretty much any of the "dark" rides in Fantasyland.
5) Country Bear Jamboree (now deceased).

leota's necklace
07-24-2002, 08:36 PM
The bridge over the entry to Pirates. One foggy evening my sweetheart proposed to me there, with mist rolling off the Rivers of America and the streetlamps twinkling, and now he makes a point to get down on one knee and do it all over again, every time we return.

And...the first monorail support post on the east (?) side of the esplanade (near the kennel), the one that doesn't have a planter built up around it. When I first arrive at the park I put my back up against it and wait for the monorail to zoom overhead. When it goes whooshing past and honks I know I'm really starting my vacation.

And, of course, Snow White's well, the courtyards off NOS, and lately, the Haunted Manse FastPass point.

DLfreak
07-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue

4. That path behind BIG THUNDER at night.

When I was there last week, we were walking through here right at closing after we got off of Big Thunder Mountain. It was extremely foggy and there was NOBODY around. It was kinda creepy, but it was very cool. :)

Not Afraid
07-25-2002, 11:49 AM
* A bench on the drawbridge watching my swans (especially on a cooler, uncrowded day). Or on the little wooden bridge leading into Tinkerbell's Toyshop.
* The Disney Gallery Balcony (thanks Fej)
*The Fantasmic "Geek" spot landing - now with benches!;)
* Grizzly Creek area on a cold, foggy day with no people around.

hefferdude
07-25-2002, 11:58 AM
With my family, the platform that overlooks Tom Sawyer Island
from Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse ( oops, did I not say Tarzan... )
Ms HD and I have taken pictures of our two boys at that exact spot over 16 years. :)
Outside the "park" proper it would be the lighted waterfalls under the north entrance of the Bonita Tower at the DLH.
Very cool, very calming. We always go walking through it.
( We ditch the boys or is that they ditch us? - grown up time ;))

mkyears
07-25-2002, 05:29 PM
It's really cool hearing your guys spots thanks for replying I don't know what it is I think A spot comes from a good memory I mean you could even be in a crappy place like DCA and have a special spot just because something good happened there and that's how my balcony one came about. I think it's awesome though so keep on making those spots lol.