PDA

View Full Version : Captioning

DisneylandKid
07-23-2002, 03:07 PM
What are "Closed Captioning" and "Reflective Captioning" devices. I know that they are for people that are hard-of-hearing, but what exactly are they? Just curious.

Ghoulish Delight
07-23-2002, 03:20 PM
Closed captioning is a text "translation" of what is being said on screen that is being broadcast on a specific frequency that a closed caption device can tune into and display (subtitles).

Reflective captioning is essentially a teleprompter. Instead of a signal being boradcast, a physical device is used to scroll the subtitles, and anyone who wants to read them sits/stands in with properly positioned pieces of glass that, through the magic of optics, displays an image of what is being scrolled. Generally, the scroll is mirrored so it will appear backwards. If you've ever seen at a theater or something a sign scrolling backwards text, that's for reflective captioning.

JeffG
07-23-2002, 03:53 PM
When they refer to "closed captioning" at Disneyland, it generally refers to a remote control that is given (or rented?) to a hearing impaired person for the day. At attractions with a portion of the show (usually pre-show) on video monitors, the remote can be used to activate captioning on the monitors. I don't think these are used very often, but I've seen the captioning on at attractions a few times.

-Jeff

Ghoulish Delight
07-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
When they refer to "closed captioning" at Disneyland, it generally refers to a remote control that is given (or rented?) to a hearing impaired person for the day. At attractions with a portion of the show (usually pre-show) on video monitors, the remote can be used to activate captioning on the monitors. I don't think these are used very often, but I've seen the captioning on at attractions a few times.

-Jeff Most tvs/monitors built after like 1990 have close captioning receivers built in, so this makes sense. I can't say I've ever seen it activated, but that definitely seems a viable method for doing it.