PDA

View Full Version : Various Ride Problems.

MonorailMan
07-23-2002, 02:00 PM
I saw some wierd things on Mon.:

1. Monorail Purple (I think) had its front car doors in the open position, all the way around.

2. Soarin- New Dust, Dirt, and Other Items were on the film, also, for some odd reason, the film looked blocky (like it was divided into chunks).

3. New little white w/ black Exit signs were everywhere!

4. Splash - There's now a camera right before you go into "Doo Dah Landing", and looks very tacky, just a hole in the "rock" with a camera in it. Also, I saw a hidden Mickey, right before you go into the Loading Dock, look behind you on the right, there's a photo w/ Mickey in it.

5. Bread Factory - Automatic door opened before que.

RStar
07-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, you're not suppose to notice all that stuff!

Those darn APs!!

See, you can't go for a while and you start looking too close at every detail!

:D

TecTalker2K
07-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I saw some wierd things on Mon.:

2. Soarin- New Dust, Dirt, and Other Items were on the film, also, for some odd reason, the film looked blocky (like it was divided into chunks).

This sounds like a digital projector that might use a disc. Anyone hear of them chaning the projection system?

chrised43
07-23-2002, 07:25 PM
The picture in Soarin looks blocky because of the panel seams of the screen. Time for rehab?

DLfreak
07-23-2002, 08:28 PM
I think the 'block pattern' is from the wall that it's projected on. If it's the same thing I'm thinking of, I've always noticed that. And if you look closely, sometimes at the beginning during the clouds at the bottom, middle you can see a staircase. :)

Nigel2
07-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K

This sounds like a digital projector that might use a disc. Anyone hear of them chaning the projection system?

They don't use anything different, and someone else here once noted that for some reason it would be very cost ineffective to use 2 (since there are 2 sides) since they cost a lot and also would take up a lot of space (if they even exist).

haiderodes
07-24-2002, 08:45 AM
There are digital projectors, but they are only good for small scale productions. Corkscrew Hill (motion simulator) at Busch Gardens Williamsburg uses it Because the screen is so large, however, they use to digital projectors, each one on its side.

The problem is that once you make a digital image too big it becomes pixilated and distorted. Eventually I bet all films will be digital (on cd rom/dvd), but not for a while.

TecTalker2K
07-24-2002, 09:40 AM
Wasm't the last Star Wars film digitized?

Techie7
07-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
Wasm't the last Star Wars film digitized?
It was shot and edited in Digital after that it was up to the different theatres. If they had digital projection then they would get it in digital form if not then they got it on film.

Ghoulish Delight
07-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Yes, Episode II was shot entirely with digital cameras.

I don't think we're very far from digital projection being the norm. The benefits are undeniable. Projectin quality is better by 10fold (no lint or scratches on the reel). There is no need to ship any film as the copies are simply downloaded remotely. There is no degredation between copies of the movie. There is a large initial investment in the projector, but as it becomes more popular that price will come down, and with no moving parts, upkeep becomes nearly free.

There are a few people decrying it as contrary to film tradition. That we will lose the feel of a movie if it's not grainy and we don't get the stupid oval blip in the corner when it's time to change reels. I don't think that's a voice that will get heard. That's like saying, "but vinyl is the TRUE form of recorded music. CDs will never catch on." I think, like music, the audience (and the artists/directors) is much more interested in seeing the highest quality image possible rather than the tradition of movies.

Techie7
07-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Got another question on the 17th (the last time I was in the parks) Indy was having some problems with the show. In the final scene with the rolling boulder the walls did not move. Very strange to have everything else work except this key show element. I talked with a CM who stated that it had been down for a while and they were having a hard time keeping it working as it was moving too quickly and triping sensors. Anyone know if this has been working again?

HBTiggerFan
07-24-2002, 07:37 PM
it didn't move backwards on Sunday either.

Techie7
07-24-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
it didn't move backwards on Sunday either.

Thanks... Anyone at Disney who might read this now would be a good time to fix this important show element.

Nigel2
07-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Yes, Episode II was shot entirely with digital cameras.

I don't think we're very far from digital projection being the norm. The benefits are undeniable. Projectin quality is better by 10fold (no lint or scratches on the reel). There is no need to ship any film as the copies are simply downloaded remotely. There is no degredation between copies of the movie. There is a large initial investment in the projector, but as it becomes more popular that price will come down, and with no moving parts, upkeep becomes nearly free.

There are a few people decrying it as contrary to film tradition. That we will lose the feel of a movie if it's not grainy and we don't get the stupid oval blip in the corner when it's time to change reels. I don't think that's a voice that will get heard. That's like saying, "but vinyl is the TRUE form of recorded music. CDs will never catch on." I think, like music, the audience (and the artists/directors) is much more interested in seeing the highest quality image possible rather than the tradition of movies.

Hmmmm... I wonder if the studios would send out the Discs or do the net thing you talk about (more for prevention of hackers geting copies off the net).

That will (hopefully the day will come) when a theater will no longer need a body to run the projectors and can just have them all on timers, possibly automating the concessions and ticket windows, auto-sweepers, basically making the theater only have a minimal staff with a low wage. Which of course will drive ticket prices up even higher.:D

Techie7
07-24-2002, 11:33 PM
As for the digital projection I know a lot of theatres were using satelite uplinks to pull the files down.

Nigel2
07-24-2002, 11:42 PM
Ah... so basically (unless they want to try to get a reciever to steal them) there will be no remains of the movies ever? That would really drop costs to the theater (not to you though :D:P) shipping and the film container producers wouldn't be to keen on it though.

Hyperboy
07-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I think, like music, the audience (and the artists/directors) is much more interested in seeing the highest quality image possible rather than the tradition of movies.

Except that right now, the digital projectors aren't up to this level of quality. Sure, there is no grain, and sure, Star Wars II will look great on DVD (see Ebert's review of the digital version of that film: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2002/05/digitalstarwars.html ). But right now the trade off is that the picture can only be blown up to a certain size before it becomes pixelated.

I've seen a few movies here in LA (at the ArcLight and at the Chinese) that have been digitally projected, and for the time being, I'd like to AVOID it. Diagonal lines look like jagged, just like how they look on your computer.

Hehe sorry this has nothing to do with the original topic but it was talked about in this thread and wanted to put in my two cents.

As far as Snorin' over California -- I couldn't care less about that ride. It was ok the first few times, but the smells come out wrong, and the thing doesn't MOVE that much. And I find it funny that the end of the ride just makes you wanna get the hell out of DCA and into Disneyland. :D

Cadaverous Pallor
07-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I saw Ep. 1 in a digital theater twice, and I didn't see any jagged lines. In fact, I thought it was awe-inspiringly beautiful. I've never seen so many stars in those outer space scenes...

The theater I saw it in was not one of the biggest, however, and that may be why we had no problems.

Hyperboy
07-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
The theater I saw it in was not one of the biggest, however, and that may be why we had no problems.

Yes, on smaller screens it may look fine. I just find it sad that theatres are being conned into spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on projectors that are already obsolete.

I had heard that the El Capitan has the VERY latest in digital technology, and that Lilo and Stitch was digital there (though I don't remember an "ad" for digital before the movie). I didn't notice any jagged lines in that presentation -- but then again, the El Capitan isn't as large a screen as other megaplex theatres.