PDA

View Full Version : Meal ideas for cooking in the villa

cubsfan
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
We are planning a stay at Old Key West next spring. Because of this splurge for us and to save money we plan to eat at least one meal per day at "home". Breakfast is easy, but I am wondering if anyone has some ideas for quick, easy dinners? After spending all day at the theme parks, I don't want to spend a long time cooking. Any suggestions for a family of 6? Are the kitchens equipped with crock-pot slow cookers?

Is there a grocery store on OKW property or is it mainly convenience store type items? We won't have a car because we are doing Magical Express this time. So I'm wondering if it is better to take a taxi cab to the nearest store or just order them to be delivered.

GusMan
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about the same thing for our April trip. We were going to use a delivery service for our groceries and preplan a few meals as I think it may be cheaper (or at least more convenient) than getting a cab, etc. The DVC resorts do have some "staple" food items available to purchase in the gift shop/store area. They can be pricey, but if you need only one or two things, it may be just the ticket.

I plan on making some nice breakfasts for the family such as some simple omelette's, bagels and fruit, and biscuit sandwiches (a GusFamily favorite), on different days.

For dinner, we are going to get some frozen pizza's, pasta, chicken, some veggies, and lunch meat, for a variety of different meal ideas. Sure, that sounds like a lot of time cooking, but our trip is intended to be a relaxing one with no real schedule. (Besides, I like to cook as it relaxes me.)

mom22gls
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
We are planning a stay at Old Key West next spring. Because of this splurge for us and to save money we plan to eat at least one meal per day at "home". Breakfast is easy, but I am wondering if anyone has some ideas for quick, easy dinners? After spending all day at the theme parks, I don't want to spend a long time cooking. Any suggestions for a family of 6? Are the kitchens equipped with crock-pot slow cookers?

Is there a grocery store on OKW property or is it mainly convenience store type items? We won't have a car because we are doing Magical Express this time. So I'm wondering if it is better to take a taxi cab to the nearest store or just order them to be delivered.

No, there isn't a crock pot. You have several grocery delivery options. The DVC has it's own grocery delivery service, and you can print off an order form from the DVC website. The Garden Grocer service is good, and the delivery charge is much lower than taking a cab. You can order from the website, and pay for it online, before you leave home. Even if you order groceries, you won't have all the spices, etc. that you would at home, if you are making food from scratch. I saw a little mini spice container, that had small amounts of several spices, at a supermarket, and something like that could be packed easily enough. I've ordered bacon, eggs, and bagels for breakfast. A simple meal of sandwiches might suffice for dinner, if you do a restaurant lunch as your big meal for the day.

Chumpieboy
10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Durinig our large trips (10-12 ppl) we went to Gooding's nearby and got enough food for breakfast (and coffee - ye ghods that Nescafe slop they serve everywhere is horrible) and some snacks and enough food to cook at least one big meal during our stay. Usually spaghetti or pasta is a safe bet.

It's only during nights where we expect to be out late (MVMCP/EMH/MNSSHP) we go back to the room and cook. We usually tend to prefer to eat in the parks anyway and usually have breakfast in the room, snack during the day, and a big dinner in the park somewhere.

vincarol
11-04-2007, 01:30 PM
We have a George Foreman grill that we pack and take with us. We make hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches with it. We also make hot dogs.
Much of this we buy at the resort store.

I would love to know where Goodings is and how to get there.

Chumpieboy
11-06-2007, 08:47 AM
We have a George Foreman grill that we pack and take with us. We make hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches with it. We also make hot dogs.
Much of this we buy at the resort store.

I would love to know where Goodings is and how to get there.

The closest one is on the East side of the resort and is a quick drive from DD/OKW/SSR

This map shows its location (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Goodings+&sll=28.377808,-81.494694&sspn=0.098625,0.159645&ie=UTF8&latlng=28383206,-81505588,11637373514194475764&ei=qKcwR73YNoTmqgLXpo2ICg&cd=1)

http://www.goodings.com has their other locations in the area.

stan4d_steph
11-06-2007, 11:59 AM
FYI, if you already have a car, you're better off going to the Winn-Dixie (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=winn-dixie&near=11957+S+Apopka+Vineland+Rd,+Orlando,+FL+32836&sll=28.391946,-81.505993&sspn=0.006333,0.010042&ie=UTF8&ll=28.391551,-81.50053&spn=0.050665,0.080338&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1). Goodings prices are much higher for basic stuff. There's a good price breakdown in the Unofficial Guide.

If you do pasta, you could always bring your own noodles from home.

Lovethemouse
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree about the Goodings prices, but you've got to go there and get a container of their fresh squeezed orange juice....you won't regret it. I make a special trip there every year just to get some.