PDA

View Full Version : Supplementing DVC Reservations with Cash

cubsfan
10-07-2007, 05:14 PM
We are not DVC members YET and I have a question before we sign on the dotted line. Here is my hypothetical question...

If we choose to reserve a villa and don't have enough points EVEN after banking and borrowing from one year to the next, are we allowed to make up the difference with cash? In other words, say we can't afford to purchase additional points, but need the larger villa than the amount of points we have , how does Disney accommodate us? If so, how do they determine how much additional money is required to get the larger accommodation?

I hope this makes sense.

mom22gls
10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't think that you can combine points and cash, unless you make one reservation with points, and do a separate cash reservation, for the remaining days, just as if you were a non-DVC member. You can rent points from another DVC member, but I'm not sure how you would combine them under one reservation. What many people do is use their points for some days, often Sunday-Thursday nights, which use fewer points, then do a separate reservation at one of the hotels for the remaining nights of their vacation. If one adult in the family has an Annual Pass, you can often get a really good AP rate for a hotel.

GusMan
10-08-2007, 05:24 AM
I don't think that you can combine points and cash, unless you make one reservation with points, and do a separate cash reservation, for the remaining days, just as if you were a non-DVC member.
From what my guide told me, you can add days on via paying cash and it does not necessarily have to be a separate ressie. However, I think to be sure, you would have to talk to Member Services when you make your ressie to see about your options. (I have not done it myself but I am considering it for the future.)

You can rent points from another DVC member, but I'm not sure how you would combine them under one reservation.
Just a thought... but I think that the best bet would be to see if you can have someone transfer points to your account. (Usually around the same costs as renting.) That way you would still have control over the reservation when you make it. However, when people advertise their willingness to transfer points, they may not be willing to only transfer the number that you need, due to transfer rules, so it may be a catch 22. But it never hurts to ask and it never hurts to shop around.

What many people do is use their points for some days, often Sunday-Thursday nights, which use fewer points, then do a separate reservation at one of the hotels for the remaining nights of their vacation. If one adult in the family has an Annual Pass, you can often get a really good AP rate for a hotel.
To add to that - This is a very popular option from what I have been reading. And given the fact that Disney will move your luggage for you between resorts makes it easier that one might think. Sure, there are two reservations, you have to do a little legwork, but it can be a very cost-effective alternative.

Hersheytx
10-09-2007, 07:44 AM
I have a reservation at the Beach Club for the big 2 bedroom. I did not have enough points to do 2 of the days before everyone gets there.
I had to pay cash for my 2 days in a studio. I tried to get the 2 bedroom for those to nights and just pay for it, but they told me it was a room that only DVC members could use with their points.
The rep did mention that I could rent points from a DVC member and then use them, but I did not want to go through all the details to get this done.

My reservations are for 10 days during Christmas to New Years.

GusMan
10-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I tried to get the 2 bedroom for those to nights and just pay for it, but they told me it was a room that only DVC members could use with their points.
Such rooms are available to rent if you go outside of DVC member services. (ie: Central Reservations.)
Unless it is something that I dont know about, I dont see why DVC could not do a cash ressie on a 2BR to extend a stay as well. (Would surely like to know if there is some restriction on such, to be honest...)