PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Tom Sawyer Island?????

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-23-2002, 08:13 AM
I used to love the Island! Yet, I can understand that they had to close it to make changes because of safety and security reasons. If you had a choice, what would you do with the Island? A new attraction?:D

tjrj
07-23-2002, 08:20 AM
IMO, this area needs to be restored to its original glory. My husband was very upset to see how it had gone down hill during our December visit. He has wonderful childhood memories, even more than I do, about the hours spent roaming the Island. If memories aren't enough of a swaying point, then let me speak as a Mom-TSI is virtually the only place in DL that you can turn the kids loose to wander and roam(I'm talking too-young-to-explore-DL-on-their-own age here). After being "in tow" all day, the Island is a great break for the whole party.

merlinjones
07-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Maroon all the TDA lawyers out there in a low-cost retheming to "Lord of the Flies" Island. The ones who don't eliminate each other by fighting for leadership control - - will be eaten by night-time rats and feral kittens!

Then we can clean up the island, fix the bridges, open up the caves and rocks and let normal people enjoy themselves again on a restored Tom Sawyer Island.

Ghoulish Delight
07-23-2002, 08:33 AM
I have high hopes, actually. Look across the esplanade at Redwood Trail. That's a first rate kids' area. I watch kids playing around in there and see what TSI SHOULD be, and was when it first opened. AND, it's lawyer friendly. Someone was on the ball when they designed that area. Hopefully, they will be able to come up with something equal (with a suitable theme) for TSI. I would love to see a brand new adventure area for kids there. Sure I'll miss the old island, but as long as it's replaced with something quality that kids love, it's fine with me. And the Challenge Trail has set a good precedent.

coronamouseman
07-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Restore, Restore and then upgrade!

Restore those items worth saving (and viable from a safety standpoint - ok, some wags will say that the lawyers will only allow a one-way path surrounded by barbed wire fence to keep guests away from things) and then build new ones with creativity and verve that makes the attraction a part of the 50th anniversary renaissance.

Techie7
07-23-2002, 09:08 AM
While I agree with GD that the Redwood Creek is done well, I can't help but think that as soon as they drain the river at DL that signs will pop up saying, "Try our new children's adventure area over at DCA" (similar to what happened with Luminaria by not running Fantasmic). I would be happy with an attraction or a new and improved (let's call it Version 2.0) TSI. Either way as long as they make changes to make it more functional to children and guests will make my happy. If it stays the way it currently is they would be wasting money on keeping CMs to on the island to keep kids out and the New Tomorrowland plague would be spreading.

Ghoulish Delight
07-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
While I agree with CP that the Redwood Creek is done well:mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Techie7
07-23-2002, 09:25 AM
Ummmmmm sorry GD. I read CP in a previous post and must have just typed the wrong letters. :D Actually I thought I did type GD. If you look at it the C is just missing a little line and the P has a little extra line. (I was close)

The wedding is coming up! (Quick look over there)
Anyways lets all agree that the Redwood Creek area is well done!
(Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun)

merlinjones
07-23-2002, 02:29 PM
>>Anyways lets all agree that the Redwood Creek area is well done!<<

I much prefer the "natural" themed environment of Tom Sawyer's Island to a yuppie-style boot camp structure.