PDA

View Full Version : S.O.A.R. (Save our Anaheim Resort) is asking for your help- City Council

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.soaranaheim.com

The SOAR Coalition has submitted 50,000 signatures from Anaheim residents who have demanded preservation of the Anaheim Resort District.

Incredibly, three members of the Anaheim City Council — members Kring, Galloway and Hernandez — haven’t gotten the message. In fact, they are now considering placing an ANTI–RESORT DISTRICT initiative on the June, 2008 ballot! The council’s proposal – being pushed by Councilwoman Lucille Kring — would make it even harder for Anaheim’s tourism businesses to expand.

At a time when Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Irvine and other nearby cities are trying to steal away Anaheim’s tourism businesses — Councilwoman Kring and her two colleagues are trying to PREVENT TOURISM BUSINESSES FROM EXPANDING!

SOAR needs your continuing help to preserve Anaheim’s economic engine and stop the council and Suncal (the out of town developer) from destroying our Resort District.

Join Us for this Important Meeting

October 9th at 5 p.m. (City Council meeting)

200 S Anaheim Blvd

Anaheim, CA 92805

Personally express your outrage at this attempted backroom deal that would overturn the will of 50,000 Anaheim residents.

Also, please call City Hall at (714) 765-5247 or e-mail the city council at sray@anaheim.net (sray@anaheim.net) to express your outrage at this latest attempt to destroy Anaheim's Resort District.

Darkbeer
10-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I have read the "proposed" AVE (aka Anaheim Voter Empowerment Initiative) and there is a very sneaky "loophole" in it...

http://www.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/MG16836/AS16875/AS16879/AI18577/DO18580/1.PDF (http://www.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/MG16836/AS16875/AS16879/AI18577/DO18580/1.PDF)

Section 13 (Page 19) says that if this measure gets more votes than an "competing initiative" on the same ballot, even though BOTH get more than 50%, the other initiative is declared VOID. But on the other hand, if the "competing initiative" gets over 50% and has more votes than "AVE", AVE is still valid, though the other initiative wording has priority.

So far, we have had one Referendum passed, that is to overturn the specific "Mobile Home" property land that was rezoned by the City Council. If the referendum passes, then the SunCal project is dead for at least a year. The council placed the measure on the June 8th, 2008 ballot.

Then SOAR (Save Our Anaheim Resort, basically Disney and the other businesses in the Resort Area) submitted over 31,000 signatures for an Initiative that requires voters to approve any change in zoning in the Anaheim Resort Area that is not a current approved use (Commercial and Tourism uses). It is expected to be approved and also placed on the June 8th, 2008 ballot.

SOAR (basically mostly Disney money) spent a lot of time and effort to get these 2 measures on the ballot.

Now SunCal wants to add this third measure on the same ballot (June 8th) as a way to confuse voters, and hopefully sneak in the "back door" by getting more folks to vote for AVE than the SOAR "resort zone" initiative. IMHO, if the council places this measure on the ballot without requiring CDPA (Committee to Protect and Defend Anaheim, basically the SunCal funded group) to get signatures, it is giving a "in-kind" political donation to SunCal as they will save Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars in costs to get the needed signatures. It also will be timed to place the AVE initiative on the same ballot (June 8th) which will allow the "competing initiative" clause to come into play. If SunCal/CDPA had to get signatures, there is a decent chance they couldn't get enough signatures, or not get them in time to be placed on the June 8th ballot.

I also watched the September 25th Anaheim City Council Meeting.

Plain and Simple, I agree with the Mayor, this action is just a "Punitive, Retaliatory Move".

Under the current rules, The "Strawberry Field" is zoned for parking and farming. If Disney wants to build another park and/or hotel here, they would have to present a project and have the zoning commission approve the project. (And FYI, the zoning commission did NOT approve the SunCal project, it had to be appealed to the City Council to get approval). There are already plenty of checks and balances, and AVE is just plain STUPID!

As for the SunCal project, they asked the City Council to overturn the decision, then Disney, with help from SOAR, asked the voters to place a measure on the ballot to overturn the city council's decision. All in line with the way our system of government works.

But we shall see what happens, a LOT of money will be spent by both sides (maybe not so much by SunCal due to the change in the Housing situation), but SunCal really doesn't build, they do the "dirty" work and get the zoning and other governmental issues settled, then sell off the rights to a builder. But if you can take a 22 acre piece of land (actually more than that, but 22 acres is about the available building space) from around $2 Million an acre for commercial and then sell it at $5 million due to the fact it is residential, that is a BIG profit!

But I think when all is said and done, SOAR/Disney will get the votes to pass its measures, and the AVE/SunCal measure will get LESS votes, so it won't matter, except for all the mud slinging that will happen before the election from both sides.

Then the pro-SunCal council members will have a very tough fight for re-election, as SOAR finds candidates that will run against folks like Ms. Galloway and will support them in the next election. And SunCal will be long gone and not help her in any significant way.

Jon
10-03-2007, 10:33 PM
But...but...if the Anaheim housing deal sneaks through, I could move right next to Disneyland! :D

Bytebear
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
But...but...if the Anaheim housing deal sneaks through, I could move right next to Disneyland! :D

You can do that already. Residential housing surrounds the area. The last thing we need is more housing.

disneyjunkie
10-03-2007, 11:09 PM
This is a big thanks to Darkbeer for keeping us informed on these issues . I personally do not live in socal or Anaheim but the overall deciding end of this issue will possibly affect my Happy Place. I hope all of you who do live in the voting area will read the post and vote accordingly, and thank Darkbeer for muddling through all muddle.

danyoung
10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
So in a nutshell, what is the deal with the 3 council members? Do they think that the area really needs more low income housing at the expense of an expanding resort?

Darkbeer
10-04-2007, 07:18 AM
So in a nutshell, what is the deal with the 3 council members? Do they think that the area really needs more low income housing at the expense of an expanding resort?

I wish I knew, Lorri Galloway has stated that the main reason she ran for the City Council was to help build more low cost housing (and Anaheim has a lot more low cost housing than any other city in Orange County currently, and is planning to build a lot more (not counting the SunCal project). She was supported by some unions and is politically "left" leaning. Bob Hernandez also is "left" leaning politically, and is a natural ally for Ms. Galloway.

Lucille Kring is the third vote, and is more of a centrist (as compared to left leaning), I think she got upset when Disney tried to block her vote by bringing up her ownership in a Wine Bar in the Garden Walk project, and now is just voting in anger.

But what really amazes me is how much the city council has done for SunCal, and now might place the AVE measure on the ballot without the need for signatures, saving them Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in expenses.

SunCal still hasn't even submitted plans for the project, they have talked in generallities, and through Ms. Galloway, has had the city pay for all the preliminary stuff (usually paid for by the developer). It is just amazing...

Jim Hawkins
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
It's not like they are going against a Mom and Pop shop, Disney is a Fortune 100 company. The main problem I have is the Council is not living up to its fiduciary responsiblity it has to the citizens of Anaheim. My family and I are going to Disneyland on Oct 17th, a week too late. That would be very interesting to take my kids, so they could see Democracy in action on an issue they would have interest in, and could understand. Now that it is a ballot issue, Disney will make sure people understand the issue prior to voting through local media. Pretty sure they have the advertising budget for it::D

K & S
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I wish I knew, Lorri Galloway has stated that the main reason she ran for the City Council was to help build more low cost housing (and Anaheim has a lot more low cost housing than any other city in Orange County currently, and is planning to build a lot more (not counting the SunCal project). She was supported by some unions and is politically "left" leaning. Bob Hernandez also is "left" leaning politically, and is a natural ally for Ms. Galloway.

Lucille Kring is the third vote, and is more of a centrist (as compared to left leaning), I think she got upset when Disney tried to block her vote by bringing up her ownership in a Wine Bar in the Garden Walk project, and now is just voting in anger.

But what really amazes me is how much the city council has done for SunCal, and now might place the AVE measure on the ballot without the need for signatures, saving them Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in expenses.

SunCal still hasn't even submitted plans for the project, they have talked in generallities, and through Ms. Galloway, has had the city pay for all the preliminary stuff (usually paid for by the developer). It is just amazing...

Any idea what percent of the city budget comes from DLR sales tax revenue?

Darkbeer
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
It's not like they are going against a Mom and Pop shop, Disney is a Fortune 100 company. The main problem I have is the Council is not living up to its fiduciary responsiblity it has to the citizens of Anaheim. My family and I are going to Disneyland on Oct 17th, a week too late. That would be very interesting to take my kids, so they could see Democracy in action on an issue they would have interest in, and could understand. Now that it is a ballot issue, Disney will make sure people understand the issue prior to voting through local media. Pretty sure they have the advertising budget for it::D

You can watch the City Council meeting either live, or on tape online.

Just go to www.anaheim.net

Darkbeer
10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Any idea what percent of the city budget comes from DLR sales tax revenue?

http://www.soaranaheim.com/

Visitor spending on restaurant and retail sales at The Disneyland Resort and other ARA hotels and retail establishments is estimated at $1.3 billion, yielding approximately $13 million in annual sales tax for the City.

This page of the SOAR website has a lot more information on taxes and revenue the Resort area creates.

http://www.soaranaheim.com/anaheim.php

K & S
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.soaranaheim.com/

This page of the SOAR website has a lot more information on taxes and revenue the Resort area creates.

http://www.soaranaheim.com/anaheim.php

That's quite a budget for a city the size of Anaheim.

It makes little sense to build more housing in the current real estate market. Unfortunately when low income housing isn’t sold it usually becomes rental units, which very often increases crime in the area.

Jon
10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
The last thing we need is more housing.

So I keep hearing. Why is that, exactly? I'm not clear on how houses for actual real-life people infringe on Disney's profit margin. That SOAR website doesn't make it any clearer.

Maybe my confusion stems from the fact that I'm originally from New York. We don't demand that everything in the world be covered in matching shades of tan stucco, and that all our streets be lined with manicured shrubs and palm trees. I look at the "before and after" photos on the website and I prefer the "before". Real human civilization doesn't match. It isn't perfectly planned, and sometimes there's gum on the sidewalk. Sometimes it gets dirty or run down, but I like the culture that comes from genuine human contact. Maybe it's just me...

VickiC
10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't get it any of it, especially why people who don't even live around here care so much. OC does need more housing. Look at the number of people coming in here every day on the freeways from other parts of Southern California. I don't understand why tourism will be hurt by actual residents living in the resort area. In fact I see tourists asking about grocery stores and such within walking distance of the resort. One reason why there's not much like that is because not many people live within walking distance. Why can't residential, retail, hotel and entertainment space all coexist in the neighborhood?

If people want to enjoy an isolated Disney only resort area they can go to Florida.

As for the city budget, do people realize how big Anaheim is? It extend all the way to the Riverside County Line in the east. It's the second largest city in OC in both size and population and the tenth largest in California.

Jim Hawkins
10-05-2007, 09:05 AM
To me its not about housing. Its about a City Council changing zoning that has been in place for years on their own accord instead of using a ballot measure. Its about a City Council not distinguishing between political functions and professional management of municipal services. City Government is the “administration closest to the people” it should be making joint decisions and not imposing its rule on a non-judicial matter.

Why now, why there? Why is the City Council willing to spend tax payer money to help an outside developer build on that specific piece of property? As previously stated, Anaheim is a huge area, why there?

Where is the impact study from the developer on environment, infrastructure and cost? What is the plan for Schools, health care and Police/Fire? Additional housing is not the issue, the reason we go there rather than Florida us to enjoy the City. We go to in-n-out, Los Sanchez, Angelo’s and Vinci’s, hit Ralph’s for groceries etc. I probably shouldnt even be commenting since I don't live their and have no real skin in the game.

Its just that this feels more like a partnership between individuals on the city council and a developer, than the citizens of Anaheim wishing for more housing in the resort district, and expecting the tax payers (Disney being the largest one) to pay for it.

Bytebear
10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
So I keep hearing. Why is that, exactly? I'm not clear on how houses for actual real-life people infringe on Disney's profit margin. That SOAR website doesn't make it any clearer.

Maybe my confusion stems from the fact that I'm originally from New York. We don't demand that everything in the world be covered in matching shades of tan stucco, and that all our streets be lined with manicured shrubs and palm trees. I look at the "before and after" photos on the website and I prefer the "before". Real human civilization doesn't match. It isn't perfectly planned, and sometimes there's gum on the sidewalk. Sometimes it gets dirty or run down, but I like the culture that comes from genuine human contact. Maybe it's just me...

I don't get it any of it, especially why people who don't even live around here care so much. OC does need more housing. Look at the number of people coming in here every day on the freeways from other parts of Southern California. I don't understand why tourism will be hurt by actual residents living in the resort area. In fact I see tourists asking about grocery stores and such within walking distance of the resort. One reason why there's not much like that is because not many people live within walking distance. Why can't residential, retail, hotel and entertainment space all coexist in the neighborhood?

If people want to enjoy an isolated Disney only resort area they can go to Florida.

As for the city budget, do people realize how big Anaheim is? It extend all the way to the Riverside County Line in the east. It's the second largest city in OC in both size and population and the tenth largest in California.

The problem is limited land, and its eventual use. I have the same problem with this that I have with the El Toro land. In 20 to 50 years, no one is going to care about housing. Housing will come. People will find a place to live. But when it comes to parks, museums and the like, no one is going to tear down a neighborhood to put them in. We have to use our land wisely. It isn't just about having a place to live, but it's about living. I love San Diego and a bit reason for that is Balboa Park. Orange County has nothing like that, and it desparately needs it. Whittling away the Disney area with high price condos only benefits a few people, but a resort district benefits a lot of people. Let the Irvine company build the houses. They are good at it and they have plenty of land to use. Leave the resort district alone, and if someone has to travel a little further down the road (nothing is walkable anyway) then so be it. And make no mistake, this is not about low income housing. There is no such thing in Southern California. This is about quick profits at the expense of long term growth and planning. Keyword: GREED

Jon
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
In my book, Disneyland doesn't count as a public service. It's not the same as a park or a museum. Balboa Park doesn't charge a $66 entrance fee. So we're not talking about any altruistic goals here; both options, housing and resort, involve certain levels of profit. All the conspiracy theories flying around just seem like an attempt to momentarily distract everyone from the fact that the Disney resort and the chains of restaurants and hotels are all making money hand over fist. More money than condos ever will, no matter how much they sell for. I love Disney, of course, but I really can't cry when a $35,000,000,000.00 company gets its toes stepped on a little bit.

To me, it comes down to what would best benefit the locals, rather than what would benefit the average family visiting from Ohio. Visitors already have 140+ acres of happy fantasy, so I don't feel guilty for allowing real life to resume outside the gates without a buffer zone.

Mickey7
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Let's recall the council we did it to the last governor.

K & S
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
In my book, Disneyland doesn't count as a public service. It's not the same as a park or a museum. Balboa Park doesn't charge a $66 entrance fee. So we're not talking about any altruistic goals here; both options, housing and resort, involve certain levels of profit. All the conspiracy theories flying around just seem like an attempt to momentarily distract everyone from the fact that the Disney resort and the chains of restaurants and hotels are all making money hand over fist. More money than condos ever will, no matter how much they sell for. I love Disney, of course, but I really can't cry when a $35,000,000,000.00 company gets its toes stepped on a little bit.

To me, it comes down to what would best benefit the locals, rather than what would benefit the average family visiting from Ohio. Visitors already have 140+ acres of happy fantasy, so I don't feel guilty for allowing real life to resume outside the gates without a buffer zone.

Isn't the tax revenue generated by the resort area a huge benefit to the locals? It pays for the Police, Fire Department, civic improvements and other city services. And it doesn't all come from DLR, $76 million comes from the area hotels.

More housing won't necessarily benefit the people already living in Anaheim, but it will increase traffic and crowd their schools. I've seen too many cities create problems for their citizens by overbuilding, including the one I live in.

Jon
10-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, all towns would be so much better if it wasn't for all those darn people living in them. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer
10-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, all towns would be so much better if it wasn't for all those darn people living in them. :rolleyes:

But around 10 years ago, The City of Anaheim decided to set less than 5% of the city as a "Resort Area" which was zoned for commercial uses (tourism). That was a decision made, and then Disney agreed to GUARANTEE bonds issued to pay for the improvements in the area, to be repaid by part of the hotel tax revenue earned in the area. So is it fair to reduce the area where this income is supposed to be produced, for one very big company (SunCal Developers) to make MILLIONS in profit just due to a zoning change?

But EVERY city decides to take certain areas and declares them commercial, shopping centers, Wal-Mart's etc. Some cities specialize in a part of town that sells Auto and other vehicles, gives them special tax breaks and spends tax dollars promoting the area.

But that is like people, you work to make money, and then have fun and relax.

Compare that to commercial areas (money making areas for cities) and then the residential and open areas (Residentioal is about a break even for most cities, and open areas is an expense for the cities). You HAVE to have commercial to pay for the open areas.....

tod
10-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Save Our Anaheim Resort?

OUR!?!??

And who, may I ask, is "us"?

Looks like Disney to me.

I live 50 miles away and I let my AP lapse. I don't have a dog in this fight. But that "our" smells bad to me.

--t

Darkbeer
10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
The term "Our" refers to ALL the businesses in the Resort area, out of which ONE is Disney. The VAST majority of businesses in the area zoned as the "Anaheim Resort Area" are members of S.O.A.R.

http://www.soaranaheim.com/soar-members.php

SOAR Founding Members and Supporters

Co-Chairs

––––––––––––
Todd Ament, Anaheim Chamber of Commerce
Larry Slagle, Chairman, Anaheim Visitor & Convention Bureau
––––––––––––

Anaheim Neighborhood Association
Anaheim Colony Neighborhood
Los Angeles-Orange County's Building and Trades Council
Orange County AFL-CIO Central Labor Council
Senator Lou Correa
Mayor Curt Pringle
Harry Sidhu, Member, Anaheim City Council
Gail Eastman, Member, Anaheim Planning Commission
Stephen Faessel, Member, Anaheim Planning Commission
Panky Romero, Member, Anaheim Planning Commission
Pat Pepper, Chair, Anaheim Budget Advisory Committee
Alden Esping, Member, Anaheim Budget Advisory Committee
Serefino Garcia, Member, Anaheim Housing and Community Development Commission
Margaret Patino, Member, Anaheim Housing and Community Development Commission
Don Yvaska, Member, Anaheim Housing and Community Development Commission
Andrea Manes, Member, Anaheim Sesquicentennial Committee
Jim Morrisey, Former State Assemblymember
Tom Daly, Former Anaheim Mayor
Shirley McCracken, Former Anaheim City Council member
Frank Feldhaus, former Anaheim City Council member
Harold Bastrup, Former Anaheim Police Chief
Jimmie D. Kennedy, Former Anaheim Police Chief
Reed Royalty, Orange County Taxpayers Association
Lucy Dunn, Orange County Business Council
Jim Adams, Los Angeles-Orange County's Building and Trades Council
George Adams, Adams Steel
Paul Bostwick, Anaheim Resort RV Park
Sherry Cain, Miss Anaheim Pageant
Elaine Cali, Anaheim Visitor and Convention Bureau
Carolyn Carpenter, Anaheim YMCA
Luis Cruz, Yellow Cab of Greater Orange County
Christina Dawson, Anaheim Visitor and Convention Bureau
Bruno Duarte, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Steven Fetters, Peacock Suites Resort
June Glenn, Anaheim Beautiful
Melissa Nelson, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Bill O'Connell, Anaheim Doubletree Guest Suites
Harold Rapoza, Hilton Anaheim
Al Ybarra, Orange County's Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO
Tom Stewart, Anaheim Visitor and Postal Center
Paul Sanford, Annabella Hotel
Nellie Aguayo
Juan Aguilera
Charles Ahlers
Joe Albarella
Joan Albarella
John Albright
Robert Allen
Eric Anderson
Gail Anderson
Bob Ball
Andrea Barquero
Kristi Batiste
Sonia Bell
Linnea Bisbee
The Bloomfield Family
Kay Boatman
Carol Ann Bostwick
Phil Bovee
Jason Brito
Tony Bruno
Melanie Browning
Michele Cabori
Mitchell Caldwell
Kay Carpenter
Charles J. Chapman
Deborah J. Clapper
Deanne Cook
The Cook Family
Don Dargatz
Robert DeWit
Victoria Dumesnil
Cathy Dutten
Richard English
Mark Erickson
Anne Erickson
Linda Esping
Marvin Farr
Craig Farrow
Sally Feldhaus
Kristine Forgy
Bruce Formes
Richard Foster
Eva Foster
Michelle Frailey
Donald Frank
Richard Frank
John Fuhr
Sonia Galiardo
Betty Gallups
Che Garcia
Dawn Garcia
Dean Garcia
Janice Garcia
Jennifer Garcia
Julia Garcia
Sean Garcia
Raquel Garcia
Christine Gill
Scott Gillum
Frank Glaser
Kevin Glaser
Alison Glaser
Cynthia Godfrey
Steve Goodyear
Patricia Green
Frank Greytak
Roderick Hall
Herb Hamilton
Crystal Henson
Christina Hernandez
Brian Heth
James Hills
Carol Hills
Cathi Hofstetter
Sharon Holmes
Robert Holton
Ervin Howard
Reon Howard
Virginia Hughes
Judy Johnston
Kevin Johnstone
Johnny Jones
Hansa Kadakia
Mona Kadakia
Paul Kott
Rolf Krumes
Heidemarie Krumes
William LaMarr
Beth Lamb
Guilermo Lanbaziri
Madaline Lawson
James Leaon
Donna Lee
James Leonard
Charlene Lockhart
Dan Lookabill
Myra Lookabill
Chris Lowe
Allan Lynch
Joseph Lynch
Gloria Ma'ae
Paul Ma'ae
Richard Martin
Stephen Mashney
Mark Mazur
Tammy Mazur
Sheldon McGraw
Julie McMann
Jay Meade
June Meade
Dave Mellon
Wenchi Mellon
Manuel Mendez
Mary Mendez
Vicki Messina
Herbert Moore
Linda Moore
Rebecca Murphy
Kristine Murray
David Nath
Lynda Nath
Jannette Navarrete
Ray Nelson
Virginia Nelson
Robert Nicholas
Catherine Nicholas
Peggy Nila
Carolynne Nocella
John Noteboom
Francis Noteboom
Patrick Oswald
Brenda Oswald
Elenor Paris
Dale Parry
Rubye Parry
Margaret Pashko
Stan Pawlowski
Theresa Pawlowski
Alejandro Perez
David Pieper
Wilma Pierce
Vahnroula Pilapandet
Patricia Pineck
Robert Placencio
Shawnacy Placencio
F. Pomad
Frieda Puglisi
Linda Rasmussen
Donna Reinbold
Gerry Resch
Jim Richardson
Audrey Rivera
Hank Rivera
Dave Robbins
Steve Rosco
Dr. Matthew Saak
Joyce Sanderson
Kari Schisler
William Schultz
Judith Serafini
Brian Sharkey
Doug Shively
Dorothy Spencer
Lynne Spencer
Kathy Spielman
Thomas Springsteen
Laura Springsteen
Luke Stedman
Bill Stone
Donna Taylor
Ellen Thompson
Manuel Ureno
Maria Ureno
Arnold Vagts
Jim Velky
Joyce Valky
Sallie Vravis
Robert Vuksanovich
Daily Vuksanovich
Cynthia Ward
Ray Ware
Eloise Ware
Donald Wayne
Audrey Wayne
Ben Whitney
Gregg Williamson
Clair Wombacher
Shirley Wombacher
Stephen Wozny
Robert Wrynn
Carolyn Yellis
Bill Yellis
Virginia Zlaket

K & S
10-06-2007, 12:23 PM
lol

This may be the first issue Lou Correa and Curt Pringle have ever agreed on.

Jon
10-06-2007, 02:58 PM
But EVERY city decides to take certain areas and declares them commercial, shopping centers, Wal-Mart's etc. Some cities specialize in a part of town that sells Auto and other vehicles, gives them special tax breaks and spends tax dollars promoting the area.

Hey, I wouldn't cry for Wal-Mart if zoning changes stepped on their toes, either. These giant corporations have plenty of money and lawyers on their side; they don't need a grassroots campaign trying to make them out to be the "little guy". No amount of campaigning is going to make me believe Disney is a poor, downtrodden little company just trying to squeak by under the tyranny of the all-powerful Anaheim City Council.

Does anyone think Disneyland is going to pack up and leave Anaheim if we allow more housing to built? Of course not. Will this change cause existing resort hotels and restaurants to be demolished? Nope. So the issues about tax revenue are moot; the same tax dollars collected now would be collected if houses were built. Nothing is being taken away from Disneyland, or from any of the other existing commercial areas. The dispute is about privately-owned land (land that isn't being used currently anyway, while this is tied up in litigation), and it comes down to whether new parking garages and manicured medians are more important than homes for actual Anaheim residents.