PDA

View Full Version : We got flooded out of Goofy's Kitchen (10/2/07)

Power
10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
So we were just sitting down with our plates when the alarms went off. We looked over to the right and from the ceilings water began to rush.

Got one picture on the way out the door. So much for our annual breakfast.

Heading for California Adventure. Will post more and picutes when we return.

bloodnswash
10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
The DLR restaurants sure seem to be having a lot of problems lately.

Leofoenget
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
So we were just sitting down with our plates when the alarms went off. We looked over to the right and from the ceilings water began to rush.

Got one picture on the way out the door. So much for our annual breakfast.

Heading for California Adventure. Will post more and picutes when we return.

Hope you got your money back

ima_mickeyfan
10-02-2007, 06:04 PM
that's 2 bad...I love goofy's kitchen..hopefully there wasn't to much damage.

Boo's Mommy
10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
What? that sounds so bizarre! I can't wait for your pics!

Power
10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the delay.. Kids wanted to go into the pool and then a brief run into Downtown Disney for some chocolate covered strawberries. Why does White Water Snacks close at 7:00 pm!?!?!?!?

So here goes...

We arrived at Goofy's Kitchen for our breakfast and I was looking forward to an awesome omelette!

My wife went for the buffet with one kid while I remained back with the other two. Just as she was coming back with the food for them the fire alarm went off.

Normally I have expected some mass exodus but everyone just continued to eat. So naturally since the staff was so calm I grabbed son #2 and headed for the buffet after all I had a master omelet to create!

As I was JUST about to get my omelet the manager of the restaurant "Mike" advised us we were going to have to evacuate. My wife (as I later found our) knew why and got this one picture before being whisked out.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/CanPower/IMG_1754.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/CanPower/IMG_1754-crp.jpg
(This is the close up)

There is some kind of boiler above Goofy's Kitchen and apparently a pipe burst. All she got 1 picture as the leak was just a few tables away. Poor quality but the picture was taken on the fly. If look look close around the pot lamp you can see the water just starting to flow. I was on the other side of the wall just about to partake. Doh!!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/CanPower/IMG_1755.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/CanPower/IMG_1756.jpg

So as you can see we were all ushered outside and told to wait. Many people left their belongings in the restaurant. Luckily we didn't except our stroller out front which I quickly snuck in during the chaos and grabbed.

About 15 mins passed as we waited for the all clear to continue our breakfast. I mean after all what's alittle water near my omelet! However it was not to be. Management decided to close down and refund everyone's breakfast!?!? But I am still hungry!! It's not hard to tell the smart one in my family though. My daughter held onto her plate for dear life on the way out the door and as you can see was perfectly happy to eat outdoors.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/CanPower/IMG_1759.jpg

Your correct they of course were offering refunds, but there was no way I was staying around, The restaurant was of course full and I wasn't about to wait that long for a refund. Luckily I found the manager Mike and asked him to sign my receipt confirming that I was in fact there at the time. We then headed out to find somewhere else to eat. Rainforest Cafe is NOT an acceptable alternative to Goofy's Kitchen!!

I called over to Goofy's Kitchen from our room here at the Grand and asked if the credit could just be applied to my account here instead of me making the trek back up to DLH to get a credit. Mike picked up the phone and promptly agreed and even offered to comp a dinner tonight instead (we have already eaten) and then offered us our Pre-Breakfast Pluto Picture for free as a thank you. Which I thought was nice.

SO SO many people this morning were screaming about how they deserved something like a free night for this. I'm sorry but honestly MOST of them got to eat and got it totally comp'd. Heck if I would have eaten I would have thought it was a great deal free food and a story to post on MP. Alas no free breakfast for me just one for my smart daughter and a free picture.

As a side note Goofy's Kitchen was back up running tonight so the damage was not at all serious.

Now only 1.5 days left here before the long trek home... Guess I should tuck the kids in and get some sleep...

Leap for Joy
10-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing. I love that your daughter took her food along! That's my kind of girl!!!

tigger08
10-03-2007, 06:51 AM
what a great story and memory that you were able to bring back with you. I love the fact that your daughter brought her plate with her... that's one smart girl. Thanks for the laugh it just goes to show you that you can always make the best out of a bad situration.

codewoman
10-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Note to self: Grab plate if evacuated while eating! Smart girl. Doesn't sound like she was fazed at all. And enjoyed dining al fresco!

pisces
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
SO SO many people this morning were screaming about how they deserved something like a free night for this.

A free night? I wonder if GCH accommodated that request......

Power
10-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Note to self: Grab plate if evacuated while eating! Smart girl. Doesn't sound like she was fazed at all. And enjoyed dining al fresco!

I'll tell you right now I'll be doing the same next time. She really wanted the Mickey Mouse Waffles.

Burnt Toast
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
A free night? I wonder if GCH accommodated that request......

Doubt it.

RStar
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Why do people always expect more than what is fair? A refund and maybe a 10-15% discount on the next meal for the trouble seems fair, not a hotel refund of (approx.) $300! Sheesh!