PDA

View Full Version : a water question

DonaldDuck14
07-20-2002, 02:38 PM
what makes the logs on splash mountain, and the boats on the pirate ride go??? like how does the water push the boats. Is there like a pump that makes a the water move throughout a ride layout???

sneezydwarf
07-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Good Question! I always thought that they were pushed along by wheels under the boat and along side it as well as water.
I'm not positve though?
I sure would like to know if I'm wrong or right?
:confused:

Darkbeer
07-20-2002, 04:09 PM
The main form of propulsion in these log rides, is "water jets", the ride that it is easiest to see is on iasw, the water is basically pumped in in the direction of the ride to create a current (If you want to try this, get some rain gutter, a boat and a hose. Place the hose against the bottom of the rain gutter and turn it on, place the boat at the beginning of the stream and see what happens). So basically along the flume every so many feet is additional "jets" pushing the water along in the direction of the boats. The boat goes at the pace of the current, and the ride has gates to stop the boat if the next area is too congested, but no quick stop/go. They also use conveyor belts, two places, of course you see the conveyor belts on the uphill lifts on Splash, but also at the end, just before the loading area they use conveyor belts to move you thru the last area (Much more control).

Another device is a lift chain (as in used in Pirates), basically the same type of device as found in a roller coaster, due to the much heavier Pirates boats, they opted for the lift chain due to the weight instead of the conveyor belts.

MonorailMan
07-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer

Another device is a lift chain (as in used in Pirates), basically the same type of device as found in a roller coaster, due to the much heavier Pirates boats, they opted for the lift chain due to the weight instead of the conveyor belts.

And that cool Clickety-Clack sound. :)

Darkbeer
07-20-2002, 07:47 PM
You are talking about the dogs, that are on most lift hills, flume or coaster, whose basic job is to make sure that the boat/train does not go backwards, think of a series of teeth, or the plastic ties that electricians and law enforcement use, the clacking sound is the moving tooth allowing the notched groove on the boat to go upwards, if something happened, the teeth kick in and prevent the boat from going backwards.

Great sound to hear, it is keeping you safe:)

MonorailMan
07-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
You are talking about the dogs, that are on most lift hills, flume or coaster, whose basic job is to make sure that the boat/train does not go backwards, think of a series of teeth, or the plastic ties that electricians and law enforcement use, the clacking sound is the moving tooth allowing the notched groove on the boat to go upwards, if something happened, the teeth kick in and prevent the boat from going backwards.

You bet, the dogs rule! I did a 4th grade report on them, even had a working Mini-Model. :)

MonorailMan
07-20-2002, 08:25 PM
Back on Topic....

If you sit in the middle row, in the middle of the aisle, of POTC or IASM, you fell like a vibration, are these the jets?

Darkbeer
07-20-2002, 09:59 PM
I presume, either that, or your seatmate had Del Taco for lunch :D