PDA

View Full Version : I find this rather ironic

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2002, 04:46 PM
In the last few AP Newsletters, there is an ad targeting APs to become CMs. Now if the general feeling (generalized) around the park that APs are rude, obnixious, demand everything...why oh why do they want them as CMs???

disclaimer: yes, I am aware that its only a handful of people who act this way, and that the true general consensus is not that APs are a pain in the arse, just a generalized general consensus.

MouseWife
07-19-2002, 04:56 PM
He! They probably figure that AP's have more knowledge, love, and respect than an ordinary person looking for a job.

Think of the times CM's have been asked questions and they just can't answer the question.

Or, they could just mean that instead of buying an AP you can work at Disneyland and get in for free.

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Very true MouseWife...

goofey
07-19-2002, 06:08 PM
There was one point where DLR needed bodies in several departments, and they were desperate to find them, which is probably why you guys got letters. During the summer of 2001, they were pulling DL stores CMs to fill shifts at WOD, and during the 2001 holiday season, they were pulling DCA stores CMs to fill shifts at DL. Supposedly now my dept, DL stores, has met its hiring quota, but I wanna see what happens after this summer.

Someone mentioned not having to buy an AP and still getting into the park for free, which reminded me of something that sickened me. A few months ago there was a radio commercial calling anyone interested in working at DLR to apply. That was the first time I had ever heard them advertise that CMs get into the park for free. It upset me through and through that they were so desperate for bodies that they would compromise quality of CMs for quantity.

While I'm on the subject of new CMs, let me say this: I have befriended quite a few, so I hesitate to make generalizations. But I was talking one day to one of the people who trains new CMs, and he said that some of them are so incompetent, you wonder how they made it this far in life.

cemeinke
07-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Considering the threads about rude CMs are frequent and heavily posted to as the threads about rude APs, my guess is that APs are uniquely suited to becoming CMs ;)

(That was sarcasm less anyone think I'm being serious)

Seriously though, I think the best way they could attract new CMs is by uping payscale. I'm always shocked at how low some CMs get paid compared to the other jobs that are out there.

DLfreak
07-20-2002, 10:53 PM
I agree...anybody that works in a themepark and has to deal with people (incompetent people, nonetheless) everyday in that setting should be making more than minimum wage. I totally respect most (not the rude ones) CM's...especially the ones in Guest Services. :)

PhilMP
07-21-2002, 12:36 AM
LOL, I know several former APs turned CMs that hate APs with a passion, even more than CMs than weren't APs before they started working at the Resort.

Oh, and about the competency of CMs, it sickens me to see how dumb the new hires in my department are. Don't get me wrong, we do have a lot of good quality new hires working at ODV, but we also have these totally incompetent people who are unable to do simple arithmetic (does 2 + 5 really equal 4?????).

Phil

Uncle Dick
07-21-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Seriously though, I think the best way they could attract new CMs is by uping payscale. I'm always shocked at how low some CMs get paid compared to the other jobs that are out there.
Agreed. More pay would mean more applicants and more applicants would allow Casting to be a bit more selective in their hiring, picking only the best and the brightest. Of course, the current crop is "good enough", I suppose, and being less selective does save quite a bit of money. Not that I'm complaining, of course. In fact, Casting's lack of selectivity is probably the reason I'm employed today. ;)

Originally posted by PhilMP
LOL, I know several former APs turned CMs that hate APs with a passion, even more than CMs than weren't APs before they started working at the Resort.
We'll have to see what happens after my AP expires (two weeks and counting). Will I turn my back on the friendly folks of Mousepad to embrace the cold cynicism of my fellow CMs, or will I continue to uphold the AP ethic (or lack thereof)? Only time will tell…

chalkboy8
07-22-2002, 10:47 AM
If the APers are there anyway, why not pay them. hah.

hefferdude
07-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Peace be with anyone who has had to work with the
general public.
All CM's know ( or will soon enough ) working
with John Q. Public ( and some Ap'rs I suppose:p )) can
be a major ***** and it takes really special
people. NOT everyone can handle it. I have not been
a CM but I have waited and bartended ( = low paying
babysitting dishwashing job ) in some very
classy places which may be close enough.
Yeah, there are probably a lot of new CM's without a
clue. May never have it. But there's this thing called
mentoring !! Does DL encourage it???

This reminds me of an old "Plugger" cartoon.
The caption was " You're a plugger if you go to
work in an animal costume.":D
The catch was the characters taking off their
"Disney" heads and the plugger characters
appeared underneath.
Except one who took off a plugger head
an Mickey was underneath.

( Then again, maybe that ramble would have been better
in that lawsuit post about seeing characters without
thier heads on.;) )

Gemini Cricket
07-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I agree. I think one could make more being an In-n-Out counterperson than being an entry level CM. Disney's cheap. :)

marron-cream
07-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by goofey
While I'm on the subject of new CMs, let me say this: I have befriended quite a few, so I hesitate to make generalizations. But I was talking one day to one of the people who trains new CMs, and he said that some of them are so incompetent, you wonder how they made it this far in life.

Hear hear. I never realized that counting from one to twenty was such a difficult task until I had the misfortune of waiting ten minutes (ten minutes!!) for a cast member to make a bundle of fives for me. Arrgh.

adriennek
07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Actually, I've known people who worked at In-N-Out and they're supposed to be a pretty darn good place to work.

Now, that said, I recently found out that a fast-food restaurant near my home is a "training" restaurant for its chain. That really explains SOOOOO much about the people I encounter there, but I digress. As for 2 + 5=4, I gave the person behind the counter 5 $2 gift certificates for a bill that was $9.75. All she had to do was count them by two's (2, 4, 6, 8, 10.) She did this SEVERAL Times. She finally decided that I gave her $9, after SEVERAL recounts. (Did I mention she recounted the money a LOT?) When I told her, no, she recounted and came up with $12 and decided I gave her too much...

Now, I used to teach second grade and we covered counting by 2's with 7 year olds. The pool of employable people out there really amazes me sometimes.

Adrienne K

Techie7
07-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Well if they get an opening in one of a couple departments I am looking at I would hire on. It was rather funny though to see advertising of this type in the AP newsletter. My mom's first grade class is doing squares and squareroots in class. I can understand some people not having access to higher education but basic counting should be a requirement for employment.