PDA

View Full Version : A reply to my letter re: Kismets sad death

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2002, 04:39 PM
I e-mailed DLR and received the following reply. My origional letter is at the bottom.

7/19/2002

Dear Marla:

Thank you for your correspondence with the Disneyland Resort. We are sorry to
learn certain aspects of your recent visit were less enjoyable than you had
anticipated.

We wish to assure you that we are saddened, like you, at the loss of our young
swan. The swans who live in the moat of Sleeping Beauty Castle add silent,
subtle beauty and magic to the atmosphere surrounding the Castle.

Additionally, we have never lost a swan due to unnatural causes. Our moat is
monitored throughout each day for litter and debris. The cleanliness of the
water is checked regularly so that only healthy levels of algae and bacteria
are allowed to remain. As mentioned above, we have forwarded your concerns to
our custodial department so that they will be aware of your experiences.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
opportunity to visit the Disneyland Resort in the near future and trust your
visit will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Bradley Alan
Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications

Check out The Disney Club for discounts on your next Disneyland Resort vacation
by visiting www.disneyclub.com. Only $39.95 gets you a full year of benefits.
Please refer to source code DLEM when ordering.

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

Name: Marla

E-Mail: CombustibleTigger@earthlink.net

Comments: I am writing to let you know about a terrible tragedy that took
place at your park. I heard about a beautiful baby Cygent through some friends.
When I had a free day this past weekend I went to go see this beautiful animal.
When I didn't see it, I asked around to see if he was moved or anything. To my
great suprise, horror, sadness and disappoitment, I learned that this precious
new life came to a tragic end because of a piece of plastic floating in the moat
of the castle. I really hope that there will be some sort of warning/reminder
posted near the moat and all waterways reminding people not to litter, because
their littering could result in the death of an innocent young life. I also hope
that Disneyland will begin frequent regular cleaning of the moat and all
waterways in the park. Animals are life too! Please don't disreguard their
health and safety!

socabch
07-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Glad you wrote the letter so DLR knows the guests care about all things in the park. Not just what's the newest ride or parade. BTW, on Wednesday I went to the moat to see mommy & daddy swan, there was two pieces of plastic in the water. Of course I nicely let someone know.

MammaSilva
07-19-2002, 07:27 PM
the only way they'll know we care is if we let them know we care.. good job HB Tiggerfan!

Matterhorn Fan
07-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Written by some Disney PR guy
Additionally, we have never lost a swan due to unnatural causes.Sure, whatever. :rolleyes: Nothing like denial. Since when is a cygnet suffocating on a piece of plastic "natural causes"?

Bet they thought they'd slip that one right past us.

HBT, gonna follow up on this little "inconsistency"?

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I just posted a reply that got ate up when I rebooted.

I never thought about replying to their "inconsistencey", and I don't really have any "hard proof" to how Kismet died. While I do 110% believe what our fellow Padder said, I can't reply with that, it turns into he said/she said or hearsay. :( Any ideas on how to approch this?

justagrrl
07-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Sure, whatever. :rolleyes: Nothing like denial. Since when is a cygnet suffocating on a piece of plastic "natural causes"?

I took that to mean:

"Additionally, we have never lost a swan due to unnatural causes." (before now)

I don't think they were denying that choking on plastic was an unnatural cause.

Just my interpretation.

Matterhorn Fan
07-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I took that to mean:

"Additionally, we have never lost a swan due to unnatural causes." (before now)I like your optimism, and I'd love to believe that this is what was meant, but the letter didn't say "before now," or "in addition to this cygnet," or "until now." I may be cynical, but I'm reading the words that are there. They could have meant something like you interpreted, but that's not what they said.

Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I never thought about replying to their "inconsistencey", and I don't really have any "hard proof" to how Kismet died. While I do 110% believe what our fellow Padder said, I can't reply with that, it turns into he said/she said or hearsay. :( Any ideas on how to approch this?You're right about the hearsay stuff, but this is a letter to Guest Relations, not a lawsuit. Here's what I'd do. Write a letter that addresses how they've sidestepped your original concern. You didn't ask how the cygnet died (since you already know). You wrote, "I really hope that there will be some sort of warning/reminder posted near the moat and all waterways reminding people not to litter, because their littering could result in the death of an innocent young life." Now, while legitimately you have no cause to throw a fit over them not answering your question since this is phrased as a sentence, you can write back and ask if there are currently any plans to post signs, or to increase the frequency with which the waterways are checked for trash (it is obvious that although they might be "checked regularly," they are not being "checked regularly" enough to have prevented the death of the swan.) After all, you didn't write to check up on what they're already doing; you want to know what they're going to do.

MouseWife
07-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Okay, this is off topic but, you HBTigger Fan and you, too, Matterhorn Fan, you guys just go!!

About skirting over the issue of the plastic, I think they seem to be implying that they {this particular department} didn't know this is how Kismet died. Good that you brought it to their attention and that they know people are on the ball out there.

This could be the case or this could be how they cover their butts legally, deal with the issue, and, if it is brought to someone elses' attention, they can show they are taking the proper precautions.

What I didn't find so nice was the bit about joining the Disney Club? Like an ad in a sympathy note? Not very tactful.

Otherwise, very good for you.

Is there a song that you guys could sing for Kismet as a memorial? It has been a while but if after a meet, when there are a lot of you guys, you could get together and do a little memorial for him/her. A way to say good-bye and a way to show that his passing was noticed. Just an idea. Sorry if it is corny. :o

Matterhorn Fan
07-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Is there a song that you guys could sing for Kismet as a memorial? It has been a while but if after a meet, when there are a lot of you guys, you could get together and do a little memorial for him/her. A way to say good-bye and a way to show that his passing was noticed. Just an idea. Sorry if it is corny. :o MouseWife: Check out pixiepal's post on this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=7605&pagenumber=2).

HBTiggerFan
07-20-2002, 04:59 PM
MouseWife,
The bit about the Disney Club looked like it was on their "signature" line of the mail...like its a standard thing they have on all their mails. It didn't come across that way in the copy/paste I did, but I don't think the CM placed it there.

MouseWife
07-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Matterhorn Fan~ Ah, yes, this song. Do you think everyone could sing it and do a proper ceremony? Do you think everyone could last through the song? What could be done as a finale, like, toss some bread or flowers to the parents?

HB Tigger Fan~ That is good to know. I wondered about their heart.

MouseWife