PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment: But that would make sense

wonderful
07-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Okay, I will say now that "on a whole" Entertainment offerings at the Resort make me sick right now, but there are some good apples that need their recognition...
"Chance to Shine", Groove 66, DiVine, and Road Trip (in most incarnations) are all good examples of atmosphere entertainment that is actually entertaining. I applaud them and a good number of Guests seem to enjoy these entertainers. Also, as a "kids show", Goofy's Beachparty Bash is a nice touch to the Park and actually fits the theme of DCA! I'd love to see it move to the Pier, though, and see a, oh I don't know, "Hollywood" type show on the Backlot stage.
At DL there's all of the "old" atmosphere that is just great, including Billy Hill and the Gang, the piano players, the tap dancers, the band, etc. The Princess storytelling is done very well and it is an example of "you don't need a big budget when you have good writing"-- the same is true of Aladdin and Jasmine's storytelling, although I agree that the venue (aladdin's oasis) is pretty much a waste of space most of the time. And the new birthday at the Plaza Inn is very nicely done... feel sorry for the guy with the cake on his head, but he can thank his lucky stars it's not a neon fish and he's not dancing to techno-Ariel ;)
But then you've got the bad... the sickeningly bad....
The Buzz Lightyear show is appalling and mindless drivel... I wonder if Mr. Lassetter has even seen it? the worst part is most days you HAVE to sit through the thing just to see Buzz at the end of the show. Mickey's Garden, Mickey's Detective School, Scream at the hairy Blue Monster, Ohana Luau, the rappers in Condor Flats, and the flower and bush thing in the Bountiful Valley Farm really make you wonder if anyone, ANYONE was consulted before these were ushered in under the title "entertainment."
It can't be THAT cheap to keep all of these things going every day (the BAD ones, that is)... at the very least, why not scrap the shows and use the money to load up the parks with dozens of characters? I think many a mom and dad could live without Mickey's Garden if it meant their kid could actually meet a few more characters. But that would make sense. Why spend all the money on a Luau no one's going to rather than put it into a quality overlay of the restaurant (Pizza oom mow mow) that will last and, perhaps, draw in a little more business than a "caller." But that would make sense. Why put the simplest minded show you can think of in the land that boasts (or is supposed to anyway) the technology of the future? If you really want audience participation and product recognition, why not use the flippin songs that people actually LIKE in the shows-- you know, the one's that are available at the gift shop accross the way-- "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", "Once Upon a Dream'. Hakuna Matata", etc. But that would make sense.