PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to keep your hands inside the boat (PotC)

Pages : [1] 2

River Belle
09-28-2007, 08:51 PM
So, last week I was riding POTC when the young man sitting in front of me cleared his throat and then proceeded to spit into the water. In all the times I've ridden this attraction, I've never witnessed this. I thought it was beyond tacky.

Today, the man behind me did the exact same thing. I encourage my little one to abide by the park rules (keeping her hands, feet, arms and legs inside the boat at all times), but now I'm even stricter about this.

Now, I realize that some spit here and there deposited into thousands of gallons of chlorinated water probably doesn't pose any real hazard, but come on, people! That's just disgusting.

And here's an amusing side-note. The wife of the spitter sitting behind me? She was quite vocal in letting him know that the three "Captain Jack Sparrows" in the ride were actually real people. "How do you know that?" he asked. "I just do," she said. No comment on the spitting, though.:rolleyes:

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
EWWW

That just makes the "pirate water" even ickier!!!!

disneyluvnmama
09-29-2007, 03:59 AM
We were at Disneyland Sept 9-13, and while riding IASW the girl in front of us spit her gum into the water. I couldn't believe it!!:eek: I made a comment about how nasty that was and she should have spit her gum out before she got on the ride and that people like her are the reason Disneyland DOES NOT sell gum. Needless to say, I just got a dirty look. I felt better speaking my mind though. :~D

potzbie
09-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Let me ask the obvious question.

Q. With a mouth full of phlegm, WHERE SHALL THE PHLEGM BE PLACED?

Susan L
09-29-2007, 08:19 AM
People are gross!

Oh, lets see, here's an idea. How about carrying kleanex with you and using them.

PanFan
09-29-2007, 08:47 AM
You wouldn't believe some of the things we find in the IASW water. Dirty diapers and dead rats come to mind...

And you should see the oil slick in the boat storage area. It's all throughout the ride, I'm sure, only you can't see it in the moving water. I'll tell people to wash their hands if I see them touching it.

I was riding Splash one day as a single rider and I was sitting behind these three teenage boys. The one right in front of me was splashing the two in front of him. I was like, okay, annoy each other, be stupid teenagers, whatever. They tried rocking the boat, but weren't able to get it together (probably because I--and likely the couple behind me as well--were rocking opposite them). Then as we were going up the hill with the owl and the molasses barrels, the kid in front of me was touching everything he could reach and sliding his hand along the wooden railing next to the flume. He managed to get a splinter :~D Shortly after that, the kid in the front started splashing the two behind him, in turn getting me wet. That was it! I said, "Guys! Thank you!!" The kid in front of me said, "Look, man, you got her wet! And I'm bleeding!" to which I replied, "That's why you should keep your hands inside the boat!" They shut up for the whole rest of the ride :D I rarely speak up when I'm a guest and was really proud of myself for doing so.

potzbie
09-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, lets see, here's an idea. How about carrying kleanex with you and using them.

Excellent! I agree!

But that suggests the obvious follow-up question:
"Q. If a person has no tissue, what shall be done with mouth mucilage?"

Mr.Bear
09-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Swallow ;) It's not the worlds job to take care of peoples mucilage. People need to take responsiblity for themselves.

In a very public place like DL, unless your ok with people spitting in your swimming pool or bathtub, it is very self centered to spit in a place where it may come into contact with others. While I’m one who is far from a clean freak, it is common courtesy to not spit in a place where other may come in contact with your slimmy glob of snot.

If someone thinks it is ok to spit in DL where do you draw the line? Water rides, fountains, sidewalks, flowerbeds, in the wishing well, hey less just spit in baby strollers that are parked next to the rides, no one is around.
That last line was fun to write.:D

zombie pirate
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Excellent! I agree!

But that suggests the obvious follow-up question:

Cowboy up, swallow it, please dont spit it in the water.

Susan L
09-29-2007, 11:55 AM
zombie pirate and Mr.Bear good answers I'm with you both on that one:D

I know I'm getting up there in age but, what ever happen to good manners? Didn't it use to be a crime to spit in public?

DizneyMommy
09-30-2007, 06:31 AM
As a wife and a parent I would be mortified and furious if my daughter or husband spit in a ride, or anywhere in public for that matter. That is beyond disgusting. But my husband has better common sense than that, and my daughter knows better, and neither would never even consider doing that, at least not in front of me. (And for the record, my US Marine husband just piped in behind me, and said even he thinks this is gross - now you know it has to be bad)

mariezp
09-30-2007, 03:37 PM
My husband dips snuff. Disgusting I know! However, he keeps a small water bottle with a lid in his pocket so he can spit in it. If for some reason he does not have a bottle, he gets a drink and when he is finished drinking he spits into the cup. So it is actually possible to spit discreetly without covering sidewalks, contaminating water, or making any other guest at DL aware of his yucky habit.

Bottom line, some people just don't care.

annieb727
09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
yeah...I saw a mom tell her kid to throw his gum in the bushes in the pooh bear queue. and right behind them is a garbage!!! Ok, yeah, the kid would have had to climb through a little, but kids love to do that stuff!

misdisney
09-30-2007, 07:02 PM
What is wrong with people!!!!:mad:Swallow is right ,what kind of example are you setting. Its Disneyland for crying out loud....

snappy
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
So, last week I was riding POTC when the young man sitting in front of me cleared his throat and then proceeded to spit into the water. In all the times I've ridden this attraction, I've never witnessed this. I thought it was beyond tacky.

I guess that ends refilling my water bottle while on this ride. Gosh darn it..

Leofoenget
09-30-2007, 08:27 PM

If you don't spit it out where do you think??

ok now i'm going to throw up because this topic is so gross

leota's necklace
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Swallow ;) It's not the worlds job to take care of peoples mucilage. People need to take responsiblity for themselves.

Yes, please keep your sputum to yourself. The random person who infected me with TB when I was a child didn't, and as a result I have a spot on my lung and had to take a year's worth of foul-smelling syrup.

Bleah.

Mr.Bear
10-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Yes, please keep your sputum to yourself. The random person who infected me with TB when I was a child didn't, and as a result I have a spot on my lung and had to take a year's worth of foul-smelling syrup. Bleah.

Interestingly, the reason we in the west are grossed out by spitting in public is due to TB-Tuberculosis. During the large out-brakes of Tuberculosis in America spitting in public was a no-no due to spreading of germs and disease. We developed and were taught the habit of not spitting in public. Before those times spitting in public was the normal thing to do.
In Asian countries where they did not have Tuberculosis outbreaks spitting in public is normal, I saw it all the time. I always thought it odd when I saw it over there. In those countries, people look at you funny for first carrying a snot rag in your suit coat pocket and having it decoratively sticking out, then worst is the idea of blowing your nose on your handkerchief then putting it back in your pocket.
When I read about this I realized that in reality our becoming “grossed out” by spitting in public is a western thing due to Tuberculosis. It all has to do with the culture you’re raised in.

For now we live in America, so keep your spit out of the mouseville.:eek:

There will be a test over this tomorrow.:confused:

MrsPooh
10-01-2007, 01:19 PM
I guess that ends refilling my water bottle while on this ride. Gosh darn it..

snappy, someone here once reported that they saw a woman refill her child's baby bottle in the POTC water.

I'm not kidding. :eek:

I thought of that story as I read this.

Disgusting.

Vegitabeta
10-01-2007, 01:24 PM
snappy, someone here once reported that they saw a woman refill her child's baby bottle in the POTC water.

Disgusting.
Oh good lord!:eek:

The Evil Queen
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

In a very public place like DL, unless your ok with people spitting in your swimming pool or bathtub, it is very self centered to spit in a place where it may come into contact with others. While I’m one who is far from a clean freak, it is common courtesy to not spit in a place where other may come in contact with your slimmy glob of snot.

If someone thinks it is ok to spit in DL where do you draw the line? Water rides, fountains, sidewalks, flowerbeds, in the wishing well, hey less just spit in baby strollers that are parked next to the rides, no one is around.
That last line was fun to write.:D
AMEN Mr. Bear! Why don't we all just pee in the pool while we're at it? Oh, and just go ahead a blow you nose on the sidewalk. (That one gets me fired up every time!) :mad:

MrsPooh
10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Oh good lord!:eek:

I think it was in one of those threads about the most shocking/disgusting thing you saw at DL.

I think of it every time I'm in POTC. Yuck.

shna
10-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Disgusting.

Oh.
Day.
Yam.

That is absolutely BEYOND vile!!! *shudder*

Then again, I've always found the whole handkerchief thing quite disgusting. My Dad used to use one. *shudder, the next*

MermaidHair
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I knew what this thread was going to be about and I clicked it anyway.

I started to get grossed out right away and continued to read.

And then Mrs. Pooh had to remind us of the disgusting things at DL threads, and those were really bad.

Now it is lunchtime and I think I have lost my appetite. Which is probably a good thing, given the amount of Chicago style pizza I ate last night. :eek: So perhaps I should thank River Belle for starting this thread after all! :)

disneyrox
10-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Last time I was at DL, I was standing in line for Matterhorn and a little girl (maybe 5-7 years old) spat on the ground. :eek:

My boys are 10 and 13 and they would never spit (or at least haven't yet.....)