PDA

View Full Version : Late Sept/Oct trippers

roberts1398
07-19-2002, 11:39 AM
OK, let's start a thread for those of us who are tripping to the DLR in late Sept/Oct. Those who will avoid the lines, but be stuck with the ride closures, limited Fantasmic, etc.

Point out any info or ask questions about special buys, closures, tips, etc. Maybe some of us can even hook up!

But I'm getting excited about my trip, and the rest of you must be too!!! :D

Melanie
07-19-2002, 03:50 PM
>>But I'm getting excited about my trip, and the rest of you must be too!!!

SO am I!!! I can't wait, but I will to avoid crowds & heat. It will be our first trip with our son who will be 11 months old. I haven't been since Dec. 2000 since Dh isn't a big "that feeling in your stomach" fan. =) I'm grooming the little guy to be my ride buddy. He already enjoys spinning in the office chair: Teacups here we come!

I wonder if the So. Cal. residents rates will be back by then?

RStar
07-19-2002, 04:07 PM
The deal right now is for DCA only, Adults get in for the kids price, kids are free. But this ends Sept. 3rd.

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2002, 04:47 PM
Your son will be getting in free, but you can still take advantage of the adults at the kids price at DCA.

Melanie
07-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Thanks, but we're not going to DCA. I'm looking forward to seeing Downtown Disney, though. I've never been, they were still working on it last time.

roberts1398
07-20-2002, 06:27 AM
So when and for how long are you going, Melanie?

I went to DL in May for a single day, and only about 6 hrs at that. That was my first time in at least 10 yrs. I thought it was 15, but looking at the timeline of openings of attractions (I think it was on Mouseplanet LOL!), I realized that I was there to go on Star Tours and Captain EO, so it wasn't as long as I thought. Nonetheless, I've never been to DCA or Downtown Disney. Never been to Toontown, never been on Splash Mt or Indy. There's so much I haven't done!

And most important, my 7 yr old has NEVER been there. I can't wait to share those memories with him! I know he'll become as much of a lover of all things Disney as I am! :D

kranders
07-20-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm planning on going the first week in October(6th-11th) for my 25th wedding anniversary. Unfortunatly when asking about rates for the DL hotel we were quoted a $187/night rate, we've been getting a room for $99 or $129 with our Premium AP. I'm hoping that they come up with some deals before we go!

Melanie
07-20-2002, 02:13 PM
We're semi-locals so it's just for the day. We haven't picked a specific date because I want to see when the weather starts to cool off, hopefully it will in October. I can't stand anything above 85 (yes, I even grew up here). We'll probably go during the week to avoid crowds. Does anyone know if Fridays or Mondays less crowded, or the same? Maybe we'll take two days off and go on a Thursday or Tuesday. I'm spoiled as my birthday is in February, so that is when I always went as a child.

roberts1398
07-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Kranders ... just to alert you, Fri 10/4-Sun 10/6 are Gay Days at DLR. Not saying this in a judgmental manner, but my travel agent said they're anticipating dumping more than 10,000 additional people into the resort that weekend (and I'm pretty sure I read that the entire attendance at DCA on the busy summer days has been in the 8,000-10,000 range, to give you an idea of how many people that is there!), and strongly recommended I choose another weekend to go. She said they're expecting to more than double the attendance of last year ... Also, a suggestion for you if you want to stay at DLH. Make your reservations (elsewhere if you need to), but make sure they're cancellable with 24 or 48 hrs notice (whatever). Then two weeks before, start shopping Expedia and Travelocity (not to mention calling Hotel Reservations directly) to see if you can get a super rate. Keep checking daily. That's when they start dumping the unsold rooms for bargains. If you get a good rate, then you cancel your other reservation!

I'd do it myself, except we're getting a great package deal, and I can't change that at the last minute. :(

Melanie ... from what I hear, non-weekend days in October are about as slow as Feb ... remember Mon. 10/14 is Columbus day and a 3 day weekend for many government workers and others, so it's likely to be more crowded!

mad4mky
07-22-2002, 08:32 AM
We always go in October...great time of year. My youngest daughter's birthday is in October...and the only reason we didn't go last year, was because she went with her Auntie and cousisns...so we went during the first week of December to see Disneyland in all it's Christmas glory.

But...hubby and I plan a trip down alone in September...then we'll go down again with the kiddies in October.:D

kranders
07-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by roberts1398
Kranders ... just to alert you, Fri 10/4-Sun 10/6 are Gay Days at DLR.
Thanks for the heads up. Not that I mind being there on Gay Days, but there is no reason to be there at any event that brings in an extra 10,000 people. I still want to be there on my anniversary that is Oct. 8th but I can start on Monday.

roberts1398
07-22-2002, 09:21 AM
Yeah, same with me. Why deal with the inconveniences of off-season, if you have to deal with summer season crowds! The benny of going in Oct., is not having to deal with lines and crowds!

Did you say this was #25? Whew... impressive. I hope you have a fabulous anniversary and 25 more! :)