PDA

View Full Version : IMO: The Holiday Overlay RUINS the Haunted Mansion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jim Dear and Darling
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

So I was super excited for my trip to DL last week, especially because it was my boyfriend's first trip, and because this would be my first time to get to see the HM's Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. I thought it would be really great, but boy was I disappointed.

I consider the HM to be one of the Top 5 attractions in the park, and usually ride it several times a trip, but I only did it twice on this one.

The cardboard cut out NBC crap was just everywhere and covering up all the special effects. The music was annoying, and it was cheap looking: Like the Pooh attraction (which I happen to like) but not in the Haunted Mansion.

I had heard good things about HM Holiday. Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

missm
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
No you are not the only one. I'm so glad you posted this though because I have always thought I was the only one who doesn't like it. I don't even do HM during the holidays. This December I will have to go on it once just because my boyfriend is coming and it is his first holiday visit.

carolinakid
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm with you...not a fan at all. I much prefer the original. I did it the first time in DEC 2004 and was VERY disappointed. But people must like it cause it keeps coming back...

DangerMouse
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with all the above sentiments.

DizneyMommy
09-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I like it. And my 2 year old loves it, and that's all that matters to me. It's a fun temporary change, though if it stayed that way forever it would not be cool anymore. What happened to suspending disbelief?

But one thing I must have missed... the cardboard NBC crap, what part were you talking about? I'm just curious, maybe I missed something that was poorly done? It's hard to take everything in while trying to keep a toddler from climbing out of the buggy. :-)

Jenlan2001
09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
We also love the overlay. We visit every year the week right after Thanksgiving, and the HMH is always one of our first stops. I'm also confused about the NBC "crap". I don't know what this is...it is something we have not noticed before. Is is new?

yenko427
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
We rode it twice last weekend and I did not see "crap" either but maybe I missed something. I loved the overlay but love the original too.

missmonkey
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I can not stand HMH and hooray for you, Peachy. The particular crap I notice is the day-glo/black-light cut-outs that look especially bad in the attic. If they were farther away, they might look good, but, up close, they look cheap.

The effect I would tear out (with my bare hands if they would let me) is Jack's head illuminated overhead in the stretching room. I love that room just as it is. It annoys me that it has to be changed at all.

I don't like the movie and I don't like the overlay.

leota's necklace
09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
The cardboard cut out NBC crap was just everywhere and covering up all the special effects. The music was annoying, and it was cheap looking: Like the Pooh attraction (which I happen to like) but not in the Haunted Mansion.

I had heard good things about HM Holiday. Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

But...but...the awesome breaking stained glass in the elevator! The creepy-kid soundtrack! The synchronized Oogie-Wheel-and-Doombuggy-Effects! Those awesome singing plants!

Really, the only thing I dislike about HMH is the error in the voiceover ("unlike no other", now, really) and the scarols that are played in line.

shna
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I love the movie, and I love the overlay. I can't stop grinning in there with all the Halloween stuff.

potzbie
09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
... on the other hand, the Haunted Mansion Easter Overlay is particularly charming.

The beheaded rabbit is to die for.
:eek:
:rolleyes:
;)

AVP
09-25-2007, 07:02 PM
The creepy-kid soundtrack! La la laa la la la laaa laaaaaa...

Those awesome singing plants!Fa la LA!

AVP

DizMe
09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
So, I'm not the only one. I hate the overlay and have always thought it was tawdry and not up to Disney standards. I love the regular HM and am always so disappointed that I never get to see it anymore because we always go to DL in the fall. :crying:

leota's necklace
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
La la laa la la la laaa laaaaaa...

Fa la LA!

AVP

EXACTLY! I am always last out of the elevator so I can hear that last dissonant little creepy kid. And I sing back at the plants.

screamin4ever
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
We love it so much we rarely ride the HM without it. Not everyone likes everything Disney does. I know people who NEVER go to ToonTown because they consider it UN-Disney. So what? Just enjoy it or don't go. Why must we always try to get a gang of lovers or haters started on these boards over every single thing at the parks? Ug!

PanFan
09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
But...but...the awesome breaking stained glass in the elevator! The creepy-kid soundtrack! The synchronized Oogie-Wheel-and-Doombuggy-Effects! Those awesome singing plants!

Really, the only thing I dislike about HMH is the error in the voiceover ("unlike no other", now, really) and the scarols that are played in line.

Agreed! Especially the "unlike no other" part. Though admittedly the plants are a terrible place to be when they have an especially slow loading guest and you are stopped there for a while (I don't know from experience or anything :rolleyes:).

DizMe
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
We love it so much we rarely ride the HM without it. Not everyone likes everything Disney does. I know people who NEVER go to ToonTown because they consider it UN-Disney. So what? Just enjoy it or don't go. Why must we always try to get a gang of lovers or haters started on these boards over every single thing at the parks? Ug!

I do agree with you to an extent, it's just that I so love the HM without the overlay. In the olden days HM didn't depend on a movie...and we liked it (channeling SNL). I don't expect everyone to like or dislike the same things I do but I sure miss the regular HM. I wish I could go at a time when the overlay isn't in place but that isn't possible, so I am settling for voicing my disdain for NBC in a place where others have vented similarly. Petty, of course, but a pretty harmless (if impotent) act.

BTW, I don't care for Toontown but I love the entrance to Pirates *grin*

mousemom
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't expect everyone to like or dislike the same things I do but I sure miss the regular HM. I wish I could go at a time when the overlay isn't in place but that isn't possible,

BTW, I don't care for Toontown but I love the entrance to Pirates *grin*

I can understand your disappointment at only being able to see the version you don't care for. Hope eventually you can get there at a better time! We all have our favorite things and it is such a let down when they are on refurb etc. when we go!

CaliDreamen'
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I understand what an overlay is, but what is NBC? It's been years since I have been on the HM.

Gone2Disneyland
09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
...but what is NBC?

Nightmare Before Christmas, the Tim Burton film that inspires the overlay.

CaliDreamen'
09-25-2007, 11:38 PM
OK, thanks!

JamesDL
09-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Throughout this whole thread I kept thinking NBC meant the network television channel. I wonder if I was the only one? lol

tod
09-26-2007, 12:09 AM

No, you are not.

I particularly dislike the endless parade of black-clad pale-skinned dead-eyed goth weirdos who parade from the exit to the entrance, blinking at the light.

I hope they don't get hold of one of the cats that frequent the hill just next to the Mansion.

--t

kranders
09-26-2007, 05:35 AM
I don't like the movie and I don't like the overlay.
I wonder how many that don't like the overlay don't like the movie, also? Some people love it with a passion and some people hate it. I like the movie and the overlay. I wouldn't want it in there all the time.

stan4d_steph
09-26-2007, 05:47 AM
I don't think the effects are cheap at all. I love the overlay.