PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Layout/Maps

codewoman
09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
A while back I read a post that had a link to hotel layout maps at the DLR. Now I can't find it. I have a reservation for the GCH in the Redwood Tower (not sure about anything else because I practically passed out when I heard the price) and I want to have some idea of where it is. Does anyone have a map I can look at?

codewoman
09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Whoops, never mind. I found it.

Bytebear
09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
You can see a lot of info on the hotels at Disneyland's offical site.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/gnh/landing?name=GoodNeighborHotelsLandingPage

There is a link on the page to the resort map, and then a link to the Good Neighbor Map. I cannot link directly to the map, but you should be able to find it.

codewoman
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
When I linked to the DLR map, it was just that, DLR. I'm hoping (still) to find a map that tells me more about where my room might be. Now I'm wondering if there even is a Redwood Tower. Perhaps I heard it wrong because I was in Price Overload Panic.

yellowrosedtxn
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I have this map, I don't know if it will help or not:
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/GrandCalifornian/map2.html

codewoman
09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Oooooohhhhh yes. This helps a lot. Just what I am looking for! Thank you.

yellowrosedtxn
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
You're welcome.

RVCA
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Just for your information, there is no "Redwood Tower" at the Grand Californian. The only thing that would come close to that would be the "Redwood Pool/Slide". The entire hotel is connected in one way or another, so there would be no need to name certain sections of the hotel. There are wings though, that have different views. Many guests prefer the even numbers of the 300 wing.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the hotel though. I'd be happy to assist. :)

codewoman
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a question! (Thank you for asking)

I will be arriving in the evening (it may be 9:00 pm before we arrive) on a Thursday night and the hotel is going to be booked solid. If we arrive and don't like our room, we're sunk because everyone will already have checked in. Do you have any recommendations of notes I can have added to our reservation to help us get a nice room? Okay, I know all the rooms are nice. But I used to work for a hotel and I know that not all the rooms at the same booking/price level are created the same. Some of them are less convenient than others, etc.

I called to check my reservation and we have a pool view room. A King and a queen sofa bed.

RVCA
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Codewoman -

There's a very limited number of rooms they can put you in with those specifications. Of course, the way the Resort Hotels assign their rooms is by view, not by bedding. All bedding (and all requests for that matter) are subject to availability and are not guaranteed.

All rooms (with the exception of suites) are generally around the same size. What you are paying for is the view, not the bedding type. All the rooms in the Grand Californian have either Queens or Kings. There are no doubles, twins, full, or any other bed type. Kings, however, are very hard to come by. With a hotel of 745 rooms, there are only about 40 rooms or so that contain King beds. The hotel is not set up to accommodate roll-away's either.

It does sound like you do perhaps have a one bedroom suite. Usually the standard rooms aren't big enough to accommodate both a King bed and a Queen sofa pull-out.

If I could give you any suggestions, it would be to have the hotel put notes in your reservation that you be put up on a higher level. Depending on what they have, they usually try to accommodate these requests as well. The way requests are dealt with those goes in this order: View, (which can sometimes effect which floor you are on), Bedding, Etc.

On any given day, when the hotel is not at or near full capacity, (which it has been, even in the off-peak season), if you are willing to give up bedding type, there are various other rooms that you can be moved to. Since you are paying for the view, the hotel is a lot less restricted on rooms they are able to move you to if you were to give up the King bed, only because there are a limited amount of king beds with any given view.

Here's the math: 40 King Beds, 6 Different View types, and 6 Floors (technically only five with rooms).

Hope this helps!

yellowrosedtxn
09-26-2007, 04:18 AM
I have a question for you RVCA. How hard is it to get the rooms 419 - 447? or even 135 - 165? When we go, I really want to be able to see the fireworks at Disneyland. To me, the "best" rooms to be in would be 451 or 452 but I think those are suites. I mean, I wouldn't mind a view of DCA either, but I just wanted to be able to see the fireworks at Disneyland. That is always fun.

By the looks of the map though things are so spread out that I am afraid I am going to get lost in that hotel. I can't wait for our first Christmas trip there!

Edited to add: I forgot to write that there are going to be 5 people in the room. My dad, three kids (ages 11, 12 and 16) and me. I went through Small World Travel for this trip and made my preferences known, but if you can give me any other tips, I would appreciate it!Thanks for any guidance you can give.

RVCA
09-26-2007, 10:31 AM
It does sound like you do perhaps have a one bedroom suite. Usually the standard rooms aren't big enough to accommodate both a King bed and a Queen sofa pull-out.

As an edit to my response to codewoman:

The room you are in is in fact pool view room with a King bed and Queen sofa pull-out. These particular rooms are not suites, but are still nice rooms. The bedding layout I was thinking of was the two Queens and a Daybed, which obviously cannot accommodate a third Queen sofa pullout.

As to you, yellowrosedtxn, I'm looking into it right now! Your response is on the way!

yellowrosedtxn
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
THANKS RVCA! You are so cool to check for me!

Now I wish I could get Concierge at GCH just so I could meet you and to thank you in person!

dawnid
09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
The rooms with 2 queens and a daybed for 5 people are city view only. They are rooms 101-107 and 201-207. The only way to get a view standard room for 5 people is if one guest doesn't mind a sleeping bag on the floor, 1 is in the crib, or 3 people can fit on a queen. The only other option is a suite. OR I forgot if the three kids are under 12 and the adults share a bed you could get the queen/Bunkbed room.

Dawn
WDTC Alumni

PS. 451 and 452 are suites with a king bed. My hubby and I splurged and stayed in 5451 for our 25th Anniversary and the view was the bestest, the balcony wraps around the corner.

yellowrosedtxn
09-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Hmmm that is gonna suck then. Because I really wanted to be on the side where the fireworks show. My kids are 11 (boy) 12 (girl) and 15 (girl) so the only two that would share a bed would be the girls. Then either my dad would get the bed with the boy or I would get the bed with the boy.

Well, I'll just have to live with whatever we get then won't I? I can still hope though.

Edited to Add: Is the day bed considered the sofa? I would sleep on the floor if that meant I could have the view I want. Also, if it is just two queen beds in there, could we get a roll away bed to put in there? I guess I could call the hotel to ask eh? I'll let you know what I find out.

dawnid
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
If you have a 2 queen room it doesn't have a sofa bed it only has a table and chair and the Grand doesn't offer rollaways they only offer sleeping bags w/pad. They have those few rooms with a city view that have 2 queens and a daybed but nothing with a view.

yellowrosedtxn
09-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Well that kind of sucks. I guess that is just going to have to do and I'll deal with it, but I don't think I will ever stay at the Grand again. I like the Disneyland Hotel anyway.

Thanks for your information.

yellowrosedtxn
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I thought about it. I am putting too much into the room and not enough into the trip itself. It is just a room and I will make due with whatever I get. Thanks for letting me hijack your thread Codewoman and sorry for doing that.

I can't wait to go regardless of the room or where we are going to be!

dawnid
09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
The plus side to the larger city view room is its in the main hall so easy access to elevators. If you leave your room open just a tad you can hear the piano playing in the lobby. AND everyone gets a comfy bed.