PDA

View Full Version : First time at WDW, some questions

kimc0486
09-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I am a DL veteran, but have never been to WDW. I am going on a sudden trip Oct 11-15. I don't have a lot of time to plan, but would like any advice/info. I will be staying at Pop Century Resort. Here are my questions:

Is it best to go to the parks on extra magic hour days, or do they tend to be MORE busy on those days?

Which parks are the extra magic hours worth it/which aren't?

How do you find out what the extra magic hours are?

What are the absolute do NOT miss at the parks?

How is the transportation around the parks, especially from Pop Century?

How will the lines be during that time in October?

I have a DL AP, do I get any discounts at WDW?

Has anyone taken the Magical express, how reliable is it, how long does it take to get to the parks from the airport?

I will be alone in the parks most of the days, what is good for people alone to do, which rides have single rider lines/passes?

Which rides need/have FP, and does WDW have the same system as DL, the parks unnetworked, some rides unnetworked, able to get a FP 2 hours after, or when the return time goes by? Does WDW let you use a FP after the time has elapsed like DL?

Any other info I need to know, let me know!

Thanks!

Kimberly

witneys7
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
hey kim,
I just wanted to say I am excited for you.and how jealous I am that you get to go in a couple of weeks:) (please see counter below to see just how long of a wait I have:)) However, I too live on the west coast and haven't been to WDW since '92 so I don't have much in way of advice or answers to your wonderful questions. Just study these message boards and perhaps get a guide to the park, like 'the unofficial guide to wdw', that seems to be a popular one. Well, no matter what you find out I am sure you are going to have a fabulous time! Enjoy!

GusMan
09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Im going to take a whack at your questions for you. You can also find many of your answers by using the search function, as most of your questions are quite common.

Is it best to go to the parks on extra magic hour days, or do they tend to be MORE busy on those days?
--- Personally, I think it depends on what time of the year you go. For your October trip I would say it may not matter all that much because the crowds are going to be lighter anyway. (At least that is from my experience.)

--- Again, for an October trip, it is going to depend on what you want to do. Personally, I would do more of the evening hours just because seeing the parks at night is a cool experience.

--- You can check the WDW Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=wd) here on MP or check out WDW's web site directly. (The

--- Since your are a DL vet, I would say concentrate on the things that are not already at DL. So, AK is a must do, as well as most of Epcot. Of course, you have to hit any of your favorite "classic" rides such as the three Mountains at MK as well as the thrill rides at Studios.

--- Using Disney Transportation in October, it should be rather good. You may want to take a peek at the getting around (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67) forum to get some additional ideas.

--- As mentioned, its a good time to go. When I went during this time, it was rare to see wait times above 20 or 30 mins.

--- I dont think so, but I am not sure. I am sure someone else will chime in.

Has anyone taken the Magical express, how reliable is it, how long does it take to get to the parks from the airport?
--- In short, it works well and you can expect a trip time of about an hour or so. A quick search on this topic will yield many conversations on this very question.

Which rides need/have FP, and does WDW have the same system as DL, the parks unnetworked, some rides unnetworked, able to get a FP 2 hours after, or when the return time goes by? Does WDW let you use a FP after the time has elapsed like DL?
--- FP rides are networked and work in pretty much the same way but you may find that you may not even need them. (Again - lower crowds.) As for returning after the return time on the ticket, many say its not a problem but some have reported that on the most popular rides, they have been more strict about enforcing the times.

One other piece of advice... if you have not made your ADR's yet - you might want to do so rather soon. :)

Hope that helps gets you started. Dont forget to check out the specific WDW forums to find more specific answers to your questions. :)

TinaMouse
09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
GusMan pretty much covered everything, but I wanted to say, "See ya there!" I'll be there the same time.....

kimc0486
09-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Thank you!!!

The only remaining question I had, which I looked and failed to find, was what time (as in hours, not days) are extra magic hours, or is it just an extra hour in the morning and/or at night? thanks again!

Also, how is the weather at that time of year?

I am from Seattle, so rain does not phase me, I have been told to expect rain!

jengold29
09-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Thank you!!!

The only remaining question I had, which I looked and failed to find, was what time (as in hours, not days) are extra magic hours, or is it just an extra hour in the morning and/or at night? thanks again!

Also, how is the weather at that time of year?

I am from Seattle, so rain does not phase me, I have been told to expect rain!

Morning EMH are 1 hour before the official opening time
Evening EMH are 3 hours after the official close

The weather in October can be perfect-- or it can be horrible (hurricanes) check the weather right before you leave.

Have fun.

Drince88
09-25-2007, 03:18 AM
October actually is NOT a 'rain every afternoon' time of year. It still can, but it's not as common as August and September.

It's also not the same kind of rain as in Seattle. Trust me on this, I used to live in Portland!

For the hours/days/attractions for both morning and evening EMH (Extra Magic Hours), I go to the official website, click on calendar - and then any day that says "Extra Magic Hours" on it, click on those words, and it lists the full schedule. They start 1 hour before the park opens for the morning version, and for the evening version, they go 3 hours later into the night.

It's generally going to seem hot, and probably humid to you (but not as bad as August). I went about a week later last year - the weekend had record highs, Tuesday were record lows. You LIKELY won't be touring the parks in anything but shorts, but bring some pants 'just in case' you get an unseasonable turn like I did last year. (I didn't bring a real sweatshirt and had to buy one to survive that Tuesday.)

Also, because of the humidity, it generally doesn't cool down much after sunset like you're probably used to, so don't be shocked by that!

wishiwasthere
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Go to the Food and Wine Festival on the Thursday and Friday during the day. You want to avoid Epcot on the weekends during the F&W festival.

I saw another thread of yours that says you will be alone most of the time which is a great way to get on rides quicker. You can always use the single rider queue, and always keep your ears open and listen if they call out for single riders. From what I have found the only attractions that have single rider lines are Test Track, Mission:Space, and Expedition Everest which is good because they usually have the longest waits (esp. Test Track).

Have a great time!!!

Ohthatjeff
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
The day's extra magic hours and park times are posted every day just inside the main building near the ATM. If you're coming in from the bus stop, look to the right.

As far as transportation goes, Pop Century has its own bus stops at the parks and they increase the number of busses as demand requires it. The only down side is that since POP is one of the newest hotels, the bus stops tend to be the furthest from the park entrance.

Have fun. Enjoy yourself.

Wendi
09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hello,

I am a DL veteran, but have never been to WDW. I am going on a sudden trip Oct 11-15. I don't have a lot of time to plan, but would like any advice/info. I will be staying at Pop Century Resort. Here are my questions:

I will be alone in the parks most of the days, what is good for people alone to do, which rides have single rider lines/passes?

Any other info I need to know, let me know!

Thanks!

Kimberly

The parks are more crowded on EMH days, but you can get a lot done in the mornings for EMH, so it is worth it to take advantage. If you are going to have park-hoppers you can always do the morning EMH and then hop to another park if it gets too crowded for you. Or go to a park in the morning and then hop over to an evening EMH park later. However, in October you may not have to worry about crowds - even if you are at the busiest park you may not have any issues.

I think that it is worth it to do early EMH in MK - you can get a lot of Fantasyland out of the way before the masses arrive, some of those lines are slow-loading and the lines can grow quite long in a short period of time. Evening EMH at Animal Kingdom isn't the greatest because anything involving the animals will close around 6pm anyway and you are just left with a few rides for the next couple of hours. On our first trip we did Studios all day for an evening EMH day and we did absolutely everything in the park. They also added a third Fantasmic! show that night (although we just did the middle showtime anyway).

There is so much to do in the parks, I couldn't say what is not to miss (other than their horrid Tiki Room - although if you skip it you will never know just how bad it truly is!!!)

We stayed at Pop in 2005 and the only negative we had for the resort was the bus transportation, it usually wasn't a problem getting from the resort to the parks, but getting back was almost always a nightmare... sometimes we waited in line for 2 hours just to get back at night!!! Not fun with an impatient 3 year old!!! I think that they've made improvements since then, I don't see as many complaints these days about it, but I don't have any recent experience.

Your DLR AP means absolutely nothing there. DME is fantastic!!! No problems at all with the service. It generally takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to your resort - they will sometimes have 2 or 3 hotels to drop off at so it will depend on that.

wishiwasthere
09-26-2007, 06:47 PM
From my experience Pop Century tends to be dropped off first on DME. Check out some PC trip reports and see if they were dropped off first as well.

TinaMouse
09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I think so. It's the one closest to the tollway, isn't it?