PDA

View Full Version : Anne needs to leave

DisneyFreak2000
07-19-2002, 11:28 AM
I'm so sick of people doing stupid crap like producing god awful shows for entertainment and thinking that it's allright. Why would they continue to produce these? I'm sick of this Anne Hamburger chick who only seems to care about herself and not really entertaining us.

I'm sick of seeing these rubberhead shows. Who really asked for them anyway? If one day they decided that they were useless and just cancelled them all would anyone really care that they were gone? Perhaps over at Disneyland, seeing a theatre vacant would be somewhat disappointing but over at DCA who would care if the Lilo or Mickey or Minnie airplane show closed.

Aladdin not have a Genie? I really had good thoughts for this show, I thought Anne seemed to be determined in making this and really hoped to see it head up to the top... but Aladdin without a Genie is just this "edgy" crap that nobody wants. I want a Disney with shows that have characters and songs and entertaining plots (sorry to say, that's why I liked Annimazement)

WOW show closing. My God, this is the fourth time in like five years that Fantasmic! is reported to close. I know it costs tons of money for every show and is starting to age, but who the hell would be that stupid as to close a show that packs them in on every performance, that sells tons of merchandise, that entertains everybody, that everyone LOVES? Whenver I hear these rumors, I don't think they would close the show down. That would be a stupid STUPID move. And even if they were to close it down, I'd expect them to promote it up (like the MSEP) to pack in more visitors and get more money.

Anywho, what changes would YOU make to Disneyland Resort entertainment?

I'd fire Anne, make a lagoon show for DCA (winter and summer), take away all the rubberhead shows in DCA and make ONE really good Lilo and Stitch show, put a good show in Fantasyland Theatre, put a good parade on Main Street and bring back Tahitian Terrace.

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-19-2002, 11:38 AM
I AGREE!!! She has got to go! I actually want some good entertainment!

Cadaverous Pallor
07-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
I'd fire Anne, make a lagoon show for DCA (winter and summer), take away all the rubberhead shows in DCA and make ONE really good Lilo and Stitch show, put a good show in Fantasyland Theatre, put a good parade on Main Street and bring back Tahitian Terrace.

Y'know, it's really easy to say "I'd put a good show here and a good show there." How would you do it? What kind of show? What is the plot? Costuming? How do you make it new, fresh, interesting, yet be able to last? How do you make it cost effective so it will be approved by the powers that be?

In effect, your quote above is saying,

"Here's how I'd fix Disney - I'd make everything better."

I agree with everything else you said, but if we're going to play Imagineer, let's have ideas to back up our assertions.

Gemini Cricket
07-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Making Hamburger out of Anne...

I have to agree with CP, what kind of show would improve your impression of Anne, DF2000?
:confused:

JeffG
07-19-2002, 12:06 PM
I think it is way too premature to be dismissing the "Aladdin" show before they even complete the casting of it. Similarly, I think it may be premature to be calling for Anne Hamburger's departure before that show debuts as well, since this is apparently the first large scale production she has really overseen for the park.

Certainly, I agree that the stage entertainment in the parks has generally been pretty weak for several years now. Not counting the non Disney-produced "Power of Blast", I haven't really liked any of their major stage productions since "Spirit of Pocahontas". Although I could see why "Hunchback of Notre Dame: Festival of Fools" had so much appeal to many people, I wasn't fond of it. I thought that both "Animazement" and "Steps in Time" were simply poorly designed productions.

In the case of the character shows, I generally haven't cared for the ones that I have seen, but I also recognize that I'm definitely not the target audience for these. I really don't have a problem with them doing these kinds of shows that are aimed squarely at the kids and I suspect they wouldn't get the criticism they do if the parks had more in the way of solid shows aimed at the whole family.

I am definitely cautiously curious about the "Aladdin" show. It sounds to be an ambitious production, utilizing a somewhat different group of stage talent than those who usually work on Disney stage productions. Reading behind the lines of some of the reports coming out of the entertainment department, I think Hamburger may be upsetting many of the long time employees by shaking up the approach. Considering the generally poor quality of the stage shows over the past few years, perhaps this is what needed to be done.

-Jeff

Ghoulish Delight
07-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
In the case of the character shows, I generally haven't cared for the ones that I have seen, but I also recognize that I'm definitely not the target audience for these. I really don't have a problem with them doing these kinds of shows that are aimed squarely at the kids and I suspect they wouldn't get the criticism they do if the parks had more in the way of solid shows aimed at the whole family.I've got a big problem with these. It is entirely possible to make a show that delights kids just as much as the rubberhead garbage they're producing without it being this kind of drivel. Prime example, the Sword in the Stone Ceremony. Now THAT'S a good show, aimed at kids, but not insultingly inane. It draws a big crowd, keeps everyone entertained, and insults no one's intelligence.

Now, I personally have the creativity of a wet ball of string. But I doubt that all the creative people in the world died 20 years ago. If Disney would stop cutting corners, looking for the cheapest, fastest, quick fix solution to an empty stage, they could easily dedicate the resources to develop top notch entertainment.

And personally, I don't care how good the Alladin show is. Oh, I'll see it, and I'll judge it impartially (ie, i won't go in thinking "this is going to suck because it's Hamburger's pet project."). But either way, good or bad, it proves a point. If it's bad, well, it proves that the people making the creative decissions for Disney entertainment need to go. If it's good, it just proves that people CAN still put on a good show, but they are to damned worried about this month's bottom line, or getting to Broadway to realize that they are hurting the day to day Disneyland experience. No, one good show will NOT redeem her in my eyes.

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed within quoted material. -- Lani]

DisneyFreak2000
07-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

Y'know, it's really easy to say "I'd put a good show here and a good show there." How would you do it? What kind of show? What is the plot? Costuming? How do you make it new, fresh, interesting, yet be able to last? How do you make it cost effective so it will be approved by the powers that be?

In effect, your quote above is saying,

"Here's how I'd fix Disney - I'd make everything better."

I agree with everything else you said, but if we're going to play Imagineer, let's have ideas to back up our assertions.

Sorry, I was going to make the post longer but I had a rehearsel to go to. There have been so many good idea threads out there for the shows that any could work (at least work better than the rubber head shows). As for the lagoon show, i liked Luminaria. I thought that the score could have done touching up but other then that it was good. For the lagoon show (winter), I'd touch up the score, tone done the pyros a bit and use water screens or something rather than the big boxes. For a summer version, I read a thread here about a really good idea for the show I'll try to find it.

Like I said, I would take away the rubberhead shows (who would miss them?) And throw in a Lilo and Stitch show somewhere over in DCA PP. I'd make the show more the Hawaiin aspect of the movie rather than the space aspect (since it's in a beach area). I liked the idea of mixing it with the Tahitian Terrace, but I thought why not have the show be something like Lilo introducing CA to the Hawaiin culture and then lead into some intense TT stuff, etc. I mean, I'm no writer but I think something like that would be more interesting.

The Fantasyland Theatre show... there are many ideas out there. I say bring back something like Annimazement except maybe one that flows more together like Fantasmic. I like seeing all thecharacters in a show rather than one or two.

Last but not leastly needed, is a parade on Main Street. I think that it should be the Mickey Mania parade (from WDW or something similar to that). Maybe bring it back for the 50th Anniversary because I liked that parade, the score was a bit annoting, and what a better way to honor a golden anniversary than to have it honored with the person who got Disneyland started? MICKEY!!!

Oooh, one other thing. A new Nighttime parade for DCA. I want DEP back on Main Street for the 50th. I have no ideas, but some themes can be like Hollywood Nights, California Dreams/Nights, or soemthing or maybe just plain ole Spectromagic!

MonorailMan
07-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Whatever happens, Anne needs to be char-broiled. :)

merlinjones
07-19-2002, 09:21 PM
>>Whatever happens, Anne needs to be char-broiled.<<

But, please... lay off the CHEESE!

bandboy1985
07-23-2002, 10:58 PM
although i do have to agree wit the statement that it's simple to say "i'd do this and this and this and then i'd do this...", i think we as just regular average guests can come up with some pretty feasible, well- planned ideas.
now, i'm a veteran performer (even my resume says so) and i'm currently in my 41st show in my short 17 years on this planet, so i can honestly say i know a thing or two about crafting a good show, from writing and scoring to everyday character portrayal and stage management.
building from df2000's interesting concepts i've come up with a hybrid idea for the dca night parade- what about crossing the "hollywood nights" theme with the "disney stars in classic cars" idea and putting various characters in appropriate cars (mounted on parade vehicle tableaux or not) to the hollywood theme...like mickey's movie premiere, or something snazzy like that- with lots of dance units (tappers) done up as theatre ushers, concessionaires, photographers, etc filling in between the parade vehicles?
another potential idea i thought up from another concept is the summer night lagoon show in dca. in tune with the pleasant idea of incorporating live performers into the show, it could be a "surf's up" themed show- surfing is undeniably hot right now (check out this week's entertainment weekly...nice feature on it- incl. lilo) with an esther williams-inspired finale with divers and skiers and fire and pyro and fountains and....well, let me bring myself back to earth. frankie and annette movies could provide inspiration, and the beach boys could contriute part of the score.
the disneyland day parade is simple, really- all you have to do is pick a theme and keep trim restrained and classy, with a slightly fun edge to it. almost any theme would do- even something as broad as "disneyland celebrates the fabulous fifties", although a cool and classy day parade would be cool (like golden-themed or something), the fifties just jumps out to be picked, and there's a ton of material...jukeboxes, drive-ins, milkshakes at the soda fountain, sock hops, poodle skirts....and i wasn't even born until 30 years later!
and i apologize for the complete lack of capitalization, but since i feel that you have to know the rules before you can break them, i'm fairly safe (and really tired...).:p

FabShelly
08-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Whatever happens, Anne needs to be char-broiled. :)

Joking or not, that kind of talk horrifies me.

Fab

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
08-03-2002, 12:09 AM
But wait does this Anne lady have any real say over what her budget is? If she is given X dollars to work with - which might be a fraction of what the live entertainment budget used to be - then the very small scaled types of shows are probably all we are going to see.

Of course pouring money into a show/parade doesn't guarutee anything (light magic) - but there's a reason Fantasmic! is a 'wow' Show ....$$$$$

DisneyFreak2000
08-03-2002, 12:31 AM
Even though shes given a small budget, even with the rubber head shows can be better written. Shes the one who comes up with the scripts and ideas right? Even at a small budget, a good show can come out of it, look at Aladdins Oasis. That's why, I dont think shes doing her job too well.

MonorailMan
08-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FabDisBabe

Joking or not, that kind of talk horrifies me.

Fab

I'm sorry if I sounded very mean, I was just joking.