PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on The Boardwalk?

tappenfeat
09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone,

Can anyone give me feedback on your opinion of The Boardwalk at Disney...we have enjoyed it ourselves and recommended it to our Florida relatives looking to do something new.

They called me today and said they really disliked it a lot! I was so surprised!

I told them Spoodles is a great place to dine and check out the ESPN Club, walk around...rent a bike...take in the atmosphere. It's kick-back relax type area and get some ice cream.

We have taken the boat rides, watched fireworks from the Boardwalk and toured the other resorts, which to us is always a treat.

Keep in mind our relatives who went are in their late 40's and 70...

I guess not everyone is going to like it....huh? :(

MoKat72
09-24-2007, 11:32 AM
We enjoyed it a lot. We ate at the Big River Grille and spent an unexpected but pleasant half hour watching a juggler who had these crazy lights on his hat and spoke only in squeaks. Totally fun, and all around there were happy people going in and out of shops and restaurants and careening around on those surrey bikes. My only regret is that dinner made us too full to try the Boardwalk Bakery. I would definitely spend an evening there on my next trip.

Drince88
09-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I can see if you weren't in the mood to rent a bike - and ESPECIALLY if you were there when there wasn't any entertainment out, then it would be a waste of time. It'd just be an area with a bunch of restaurants and some shops.

I've enjoyed the meals I've had at the restaurants there - but it's always been too hot/too cold/too late/too early for me to really take in the full atmosphere of the Boardwalk. I've been there enough to see where there would be an appeal for people, I've just never been there in the right mood for it to appeal to me right then. (Hmmm, something else to think about for next trip!)

wishiwasthere
09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I like it at sunset and after that. During the day it isn't that great. I find it relaxing to take a nice, leisurely walk around the lake. We always go to ESPN Zone because my sister needs to eat there. I love to take pictures around there as well. Sometimes if we are planning to go to Epcot at night we park at the Boardwalk and take a walk around the Boardwalk and then head into the WS. Once Epcot closes it's nice going in the opposite directions as the rest of the crowds.

Tink's Hairdresser
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't think it's really lived up to its promise -- it's a little bland, there's maybe half as much stuff there as there should be.

Still, a pleasant area once you get to know it. Very pretty at night. The hotel lobby is very nice.

WDW heart
09-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Well, Did they say why they disliked it? Any specifics? I think a lot would depend upon their expectations, their individual experiences and their attitude. Some people are negative (I'm not assuming your friends are.) My Mother will often say, I didn't like that place or that person. But when pressed for an explanation, she can't come up with anything. It's just her.

TinaMouse
09-25-2007, 05:48 AM
You know, the first time I went, I loved it. We rented a surrey and biked around 2 or 3 times (hubby, oldest son, me). We ate ice cream, and had a lovely short evening.

The next time, we went for lunch at the micro pub (me, hubby, oldest & youngest sons, mom & dad). It was fine and there was a torrential downpour that literally made us the ONLY patrons in the joint. Afterwards, we were the only ones on the Boardwalk, so I got some great pics with the lights reflecting off of the wet boards. However, we just walked around and didn't really DO anything. We went in the bakery, walked to ESPN, but didn't go in anywhere. It ended up being a short 1-2 hour break, but that was still nice.

This time, we're going back again. I don't have anything planned to do for this trip to the Boardwalk, so I'll look to do something completely different. I'll have my 12yo in tow, and he isn't a sports fan like me, so ESPN is out as well as the clubs since he's too young (I want to try Jellyrolls SO badly!). I still expect a great evening.

My take--a quick evening alternative to the EMH parks or the evening standy-by, Epcot. A low-key, nice night (unless you're into clubbing which completely changes my take of a low-key place ;))

tappenfeat
09-26-2007, 03:39 AM
I think they were hoping or expecting the "city walk"??? at Universal? I haven't been to Universal Studios since '96...

They said it was bland...:|

They also went during the day and I believe there wasn't much going on...I too like it during the evenings...the cool breeze and the entertainment, it's just different in the evenings, I agree. :fez:

dawz1026
09-27-2007, 07:36 AM
LOVE IT...we will not stay at any other resorts except those on the Boardwalk

DisDreams
10-06-2007, 07:25 AM
The Boardwalk seems to be more of a place one goes to in the evening after the sun goes down. I seem to remember big expanses of hard surfaces that reflect the sun/heat during the afternoon. Have they added (more/any) plant life (trees in large planters/boxes) for shade?

DaKyng
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I agree, the Boardwalk really seems more of a night time entertainment spot. I've visited a few times in the day, and it is very empty, especially in the off-season.

At night, I really enjoy the boardwalk. It's my favorite resort to visit or stay at because of the atmosphere at night.

TinaMouse
10-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Which should mean, in theory, that the Boardwalk would be a nice place to escape for a quiet lunch? Yes??

Drince88
10-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Which should mean, in theory, that the Boardwalk would be a nice place to escape for a quiet lunch? Yes??

I would think so (any resort area vs park area would be good for escaping for a quiet lunch). However you need to make sure your restaurant of choice is actually open for lunch - I'm not sure they are (just something to check).

But do you really want to leave Epcot for lunch during the Food & Wine Festival? Lunching around the World is on our itinerary for a couple of days!